How to Size Battery Storage for Home Solar

On original install, and expecting a 'rotary' meter, took the advise of installer, to use PEA overnight, knowing I could upgrade, 

That didn't work, as all new meters for our area are digital.   Original 10kWh ESS is not enough for our use & abuse.   Enough for necessity, but not running the ACs a bit more than really needed overnight the past few months.

Enough, but would seriously cut into the longevity of 1 ESS.  Life longevity now doubled with 2nd ESS added.

I based our system on past PEA billing of 600-700kWh a month, with 1000kWh being the max, and rare.   1/3 of that, is overnight (14 non producing hours).

20+kWh a day being the norm (average 7kWh overnight), with 30+kWh a day now during very hot April.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I based our system on past PEA billing of 600-700kWh a month, with 1000kWh being the max, and rare.   1/3 of that, is overnight (14 non producing hours).

Question. When you estimated your system did you already calculate for (or thought of) getting an EV or was that later on?

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Question. When you estimated your system did you already calculate for (or thought of) getting an EV or was that later on?

No, as we had just bought the MG ZS ICE version.   Thankfully, plenty of excess solar to keep that topped up.

If I had known an EV would be in the immediate future, I would have simply kept the Mazda2, a couple more years.  Lost a wee bit more than wanting selling the ZS ICE version.   Daughter was happy though, as 2nd handers weren't offering much for the Mazda.   Gave it to her rather them, for what they offered.

Govt incentive (฿240k) made up for that, and then some ????

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

@Bandersnatch

In the videa At 2:50m the sound volume goes way way down.

Yes sorry about that,  I used 2 different Microphones  - one during the opening video -  a Lightning Lavalier Microphone on my iPhone and then a Sure SM58 on my Mac -  tried increasing the mic input on my Fast Track to match the opening sound level but just got too much distortion. I considered recording all the second half audio again on Audacity but was too tired at that point.

I have now ordered a matching USB TYPE C Lavalier Microphone so hopefully they will produce a matching sound level. 

• Like 2