Visa from the UK

I am applying for a tourist visa for a 60 day stay and stuck on the following question:

11 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

I am not sure what document, other than a passport, that verifies my residency in the UK. Do they mean they want to see a copy of the passport as that was uploaded earlier in the application.

Well I submitted a bank statement anyway. I was wondering if they meant a utility bill. Whilst a utility bill suggests residency I wonder what applicants do if they are not the person who pays the utility charges in a household.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, James9999 said:

Well I submitted a bank statement anyway. I was wondering if they meant a utility bill. Whilst a utility bill suggests residency I wonder what applicants do if they are not the person who pays the utility charges in a household.

I submitted a bank statement, that was 2 years ago though. 

10 hours ago, James9999 said:

I am not sure what document, other than a passport, that verifies my residency in the UK. Do they mean they want to see a copy of the passport as that was uploaded earlier in the application.

When I did mine I used my passport and it wasn't a problem and others have used documents with an address quite successfully. On reflection that may be the safer option, as you say they already have your passport.

The question is not worded as clear as it should be, "residency" is ambiguous but "residency status" is based on the right of abode.

• Like 1

Passport is not proof of residency as been posted, Drivers licence if you have one is good to go as it shows your pic and address - what I used last year, recent utility bill with your name & address on it also ok - also make sure your uploads all same format that suits the Thai websites system, they do inform, I put all mine uploaded as jpeg format - had visa through in 48hrs no worries - good luck 

Edited by Lokie
  • Haha 1

I won't pick out several incorrect posts above.

Folk are misunderstanding the term "residency" in order to apply for certain visas.

For example a USA citizen can also have permanent residence status in for example Japan.

That person could apply for certain visas in both USA by providing ID page of pp.

Or in Japan providing proof of permanent residence.

So back to the OP passport ID is sufficient.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

How can a passport verify your residency?

As someone else pointed out, historically, residency was intended to mean "right of abode" if you are not a national of the country where you are applying. I recognise that the situation in the US is somewhat special as you are supposed to choose the correct consulate based on your current location. However, in the UK and most other countries, it has always been sufficient to show your passport when applying in your home country.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I won't pick out several incorrect posts above.

Folk are misunderstanding the term "residency" in order to apply for certain visas.

For example a USA citizen can also have permanent residence status in for example Japan.

That person could apply for certain visas in both USA by providing ID page of pp.

Or in Japan providing proof of permanent residence.

So back to the OP passport ID is sufficient.

You're probably right, but in fact the very question on the application website is ambiguous. They're actually asking you to show where you presently live.  It gave me cause for thought when I did mine, hence my earlier response.

That's presumably why the OP asked, and why several of us (me included) have given different but hopefully helpful answers.

The bottom line is that there are several different documents that will be accepted so all the answers are right in this context.

Actually what @HauptmannUK said "Basically some kind of bill/official document with your UK address on it. I used my driving licence." seems to cover it best of all!

Edited by VBF

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

You're probably right, but in fact the very question on the application website is ambiguous

Nup.

Read the post above yours.

An residential address is not what is being asked for however many folk using a utility bill etc works fine.

So does a passport to that country or proof of permanent residence in a certain country.

17 hours ago, VBF said:

You're probably right, but in fact the very question on the application website is ambiguous. They're actually asking you to show where you presently live.  It gave me cause for thought when I did mine, hence my earlier response.

That's presumably why the OP asked, and why several of us (me included) have given different but hopefully helpful answers.

The bottom line is that there are several different documents that will be accepted so all the answers are right in this context.

Actually what @HauptmannUK said "Basically some kind of bill/official document with your UK address on it. I used my driving licence." seems to cover it best of all!

Not long ago

Edited by sandyf

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nup.

Read the post above yours.

An residential address is not what is being asked for however many folk using a utility bill etc works fine.

So does a passport to that country or proof of permanent residence in a certain country.

Actually you're incorrect. I made a note for next time and Question 11 said:

11 Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

So, in theory a passport wouldn't show CURRENT residency - i.e., when I, a Brit, lived in USA, I would have had to apply to a US Embassy or Consulate. In that case my British Passport wouldn't have shown my CURRENT residency but my US driving licence or utility bill would. 

Hence the ambiguity.

Edited by VBF