New passport and then extension

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

so I can just take those to the border, no need to go to immigration prior?

That will be OK, in principle. The only issue (as I warned above) is that a typical land crossing only has one official who does stamp transfers (usually separate from where you stamp out from Thailand). That official might not be available for an hour or two if you are unlucky.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

yeah, I am in country from a 30 day entry stamp, then I extended my stay another 30 days with extension stamp and now will be doing 2nd border run of year (and hopefully last of lifetime).
The extension stamp (and entry stamp) are in my emergency (canceled) visa.

so I can just take those to the border, no need to go to immigration prior?

I've decided I'm going to use an agent as well.  Seems too many small hiccups.  I just really didn't want a cramped van ride again.

I'll report back with what they tell me after they reply too.

Yes, since your extension of stay is ending  just bring both passports to the border. They need to see your most recent entry stamp and last extension of stay when you exit but there is no need for either to be transferred to your new passport since they are already over and done with once you (or your passport via agent) leave. You get a new entry stamp on return.

People with ongoing visas (e.g. O-A or ME visa) or with longer extensions of stay they need to keep, should  get it transferred to a new passport.

Using an agent/border run company probably wise given your history and whatever else you do, do not try to leave or re-enter via Poipet/Aranyaprathet.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

People with ongoing visas (e.g. O-A or ME visa) or with longer extensions of stay they need to keep, should  get it transferred to a new passport.

My understanding has been that Immigration cannot transfer visas that were issued by embassies/consulates outside Thailand. I thought you needed to continue to use both the old and new passports until the visa expired. Am I wrong on this? [I am wondering if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs office has a service to transfer visas issued by consular staff. I have never heard that there was.]

nothing to transfer as when you stamp out, the visa /  extension dies>
just show both passports ( so they know you entered legally) and you will be stamped out on New one and re enter on new one

do not need pay an agent for help

On 4/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, Dart12 said:

On 4/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, Dart12 said:

I just ordered new US passport.  

Embassy website said 21-28 days.

I had 45 days.  I didn't waste a second after getting visa and mailing it to embassy.

4 weeks in... I asked embassy if it ready.

they said, friday.  if not, it will be here monday.

I waited and both failed to appear.

Week 5.  Same thing.

Week 6.  repeated same refrain.

It's one thing to to be running late, but they were claiming something specific that I NEEDED to know.

Day 40 or so I called again, and they said ....same thing lol.

So, my last visa day was good on a monday.  they called me friday and said I can come get an emergency visa as it will be there monday (they said if official this time).

Of course I took it.  But I had to cancel my day and rush my butt to BKK and barely got there in time as they decided they were going to close early since it was friday.  Got in by a whisker.

Now, if they were just polite and honest...and told me wednesday that it would be MOnday...I could have EMSed it for 40 baht and they could have mailed me the emergency one...instead it cost me nearly an additional 5000 baht and a lost day to get there and back.

the last thing in the world I wanted to do was to start my new passport off with an overstay.

It all worked out...but it was a much bigger pain than it should have been.  They were 3 weeks later than said delivery date when I sent it.

I paid an agent to get my 30 day extension.  I don't think they charged me extra for the stamp transfer.

If you need to get stamp transfered on it's own...the agent charges 900.

I'm doing a border run soon where I'll need to transfer stamp again from emergency to the official passport.

No. Since I got emergency passport to 4 days later...they NO LONGER GIVE OUT LETTER FROM EMBASSY.

they say this is fine and immigration and border will accept.  But hey, when is it ever easy during a new process?

We'll see.

Goodluck!

Hey, that's quite an ordeal. I recall you asking way back if getting a new passport--as you were doing--would require you to get your entry stamp (on a visa-exempt entry) transferred to the new passport at the post where you obtained said entry stamp. (Based on some buzz about folks having to return to their extension-issuing offices to get those stamps transferred to their new passports.)

You would be able to transfer the stamp to the new passport at Jomtien was the consensus, which proved correct.

However, the timing, or waiting time rather, for the U.S. Embassy/State Department to get the renewal processed was off the charts. Was only till recently that the turnaround time from mailing in the passport, renewal form, payment details, etc. to getting the new and now-expired passports back was taking around three weeks. And a few days short of that in some cases. That's seems to be over now.

Your renewal took about seven weeks. New realities at the embassy. Anyway, as others have noted, you won't have any issue exiting, as your stay on the extension will be over, a 'clean getaway', and you can return 'fresh' on the new passport.

Edited by rwilem
  • Thumbs Up 1