Unsightly air conditions units on balcony

Can someone clarify the issue with air conditioning units on balconies. I have seen some condos where there is a huge big bulky air condition unit on the balcony. I honestly don't fancy sitting on a balcony with that waffting in my face. 

However, there are other places where i have not seen this big ugly unit on the balcony. I assume the air from the a/c has to go somewhere - so where exactly does it go ? Obviously not having a big bulky unit on the balcony seems more desirable to me. 

Anyone fill me in ... spacer.png

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Haha 1

If you are sitting outside on the balcony then why would you leave the air conditioning turned on in the apartment? Not much you can do about it unless moving the units, or turning off when sitting on the balcony. 

11 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

If you are sitting outside on the balcony then why would you leave the air conditioning turned on in the apartment? Not much you can do about it unless moving the units, or turning off when sitting on the balcony. 

Because someone may well be in the condo with the a/c on - as i am on the balcony. 

My point is why do some condos not have these large units on the balcony? Where do they go ?

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our place in KL had a separate "mini-balcony" for the A/C outdoor units and clothes drying rack, it wasn't visible from outside the building or from other units (except from their own A/C balcony).

See the circled "notch" in the building. Clever eh?

image.jpeg.871c437b578ef032a686bc89feddf47d.jpeg

Our condo here had the units mounted above the balcony doors, not ideal but at least they didn't take up the (minimal) balcony space.

Yes, my apartments, Suasana Sentral KL and Redwood Apartments in Singapore were the same, great idea.

I'd say extra costs involved, probably not practical for the smaller condos in Thailand. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

OP, it all comes down to design and planning, some condo blocks are built with a place for airconn units, and others its an after thought.

Also in Asia, balcony's have often traditionally been seen as utility spaces, drying clothes', aircon etc, not areas people sit.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, my apartments, Suasana Sentral KL and Redwood Apartments in Singapore were the same, great idea.

Our place was Fraser Towers in PJ. We didn't actually have a balcony ("too high"), only lower floors had actual balconies so our usable space was bigger ???? 

The "best" thing about Fraser was the cooled pool, kept the locals out (too cold) and was great after toasting in the sauna for the Scandinavian feeling!  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Because someone may well be in the condo with the a/c on - as i am on the balcony. 

My point is why do some condos not have these large units on the balcony? Where do they go ?

Some may be placed above head height, pointing away from the balcony space. Mine is.

Condos that do not have them may have centralized air conditioning systems, or may not have aircon. I've seen one all-Thai condo that did not.

Personally, I'd rather have my own aircon system. Centralized systems are ideal for spreading COVID, as the Australian authorities found out.

There was only one quarantine facility in Australia which did not have an outbreak of COVID - Howard Springs. That was because each cabin had its own aircon.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Some may be placed above head height, pointing away from the balcony space. Mine is.

Condos that do not have them may have centralized air conditioning systems, or may not have aircon. I've seen one all-Thai condo that did not.

Personally, I'd rather have my own aircon system. Centralized systems are ideal for spreading COVID, as the Australian authorities found out.

There was only one quarantine facility in Australia which did not have an outbreak of COVID - Howard Springs. That was because each cabin had its own aircon.

Ah okay ... now we are getting somewhere. So some condos have a central system for their air conditioning system, hence why you don't find the ugly big units on the balcony. Never heard of this before and will give it a good research ! 

8 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

On the contrary, i love sitting out on the balcony in the evening, just as the sun dips over the horizon with a good cup of tea and book - temperature is cooler at this point too. 

Great. However that doesn't change the fact that you are an exception in that way.

I see hundreds of balconies from my high floor apartment. There are almost never any people relaxing on the balconies. The most people I see are maids or housewives putting the laundry on the balconies. 

1 minute ago, DonniePeverley said:

Yeah but if you have a nice view - you will be making use of that balcony. 

chaing mai has many a beautiful view from balconies......but in the last month if you sat out on a balcony well ........ i think i can see my house from here.

Pollution choking Thailand's north hits tourism, worries public | Reuters

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Our place was Fraser Towers in PJ. We didn't actually have a balcony ("too high"), only lower floors had actual balconies so our usable space was bigger ???? 

The "best" thing about Fraser was the cooled pool, kept the locals out (too cold) and was great after toasting in the sauna for the Scandinavian feeling!  

Same, I was on the 23rd floor, no balcony but our laundry was situated in a room/balcony with no windows only bars, looking at the neighbors laundry, this is where the AC compressors were located. 

Good spot for drying clothes, hang over night dry in the morning. 

• Like 1