Lights flashing from lightning?

phetphet

Finally  getting some rain this morning here in Samui, along with thunder and lightning.

Never noticed this before, but each time lightning strikes, all my lights briefly flash. Even though not switched on.

Does anyone know if this is a normal phenomenon? Or does it indicate a fault somewhere?

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm not an electrician ...  but I would say it's a wiring fault somewhere,   maybe the CB box isn't grounded properly

Grounding isn't a common fixture or practice here - properly or not.

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Low-energy lighting doing anything untoward whilst turned off is invariably due to the switch being in the neutral line rather than the live.

It's not an immediate hazard but needs looking at, it's easy enough to check if you have basic electrical tools (a neon screwdriver and a multimeter).

Yes, the lighting is stepped down through individual transformers. I think you are correct because I have some LED tube lights in bathroom cabinets that flash. Though can only see it when dark.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

EMP electrical Magnetic Pulse from lightning can do this, it even started a ceiling fan that hadn't worked for a year, my RCD switch used to flick off, but now doesn't as i turned up the amperage on my switch board. Worth a google search. 

Someone told me earlier that this morning during the storm, a lamp lit up that wasn't even plugged in.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Your lucky , lights only flashing , when thunder and lighting , every time

it happens up here the electric goes off , been going on for years now.

regards worgeordie

Is it the towns or dose your RCD flip off.?

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Is it the towns or dose your RCD flip off.?

Just outside of the City, the whole of the Moo Bahn down , and further up the road,

last night very heavy downpour and did not go off , just lucky as sure they have not

fixed anything.,been like this for years.

regards Worgeordie 

On 5/1/2023 at 7:47 AM, phetphet said:

Never noticed this before, but each time lightning strikes, all my lights briefly flash. Even though not switched on.

All your lights ............

Live and Neutral coming from your meter has the wires reversed.

It also means the live is connected to your ground rod and will be wasting electricity 24/7 heating up the earth.

36 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just outside of the City, the whole of the Moo Bahn down , and further up the road,

last night very heavy downpour and did not go off , just lucky as sure they have not

fixed anything.,been like this for years.

regards Worgeordie 

Then I think, it is what is what my friend called a brown out.