How difficult would it be for me to get a tourist Visa In KL?

Hi, i'm a Brit and i've had many trips to Thailand over many years. Always trouble free

My issue is, i've been in and out of Thailand since last August on visa exempt and I've now used up all my extensions (2 per calendar year)

I'm flying out to KL next month and will be away a month. I will apply for a Thai tourist visa while i'm there. Due to the fact i've been in and out on visa exempt for the past 9 months do you think i'll have trouble getting a 3 month tourist visa?

Thanks for any advice

2 minutes ago, flexomike said:

The two visa exempt entries is for land border crossings, there is no set limit for entries by air, you should have no problems 

The OP indicated intention to obtain SETV .

OP, you can obtain a tourist visa without issue.

Given that your plan is to stay Malaysia for one month then with your history then returning visa exempt also an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP indicated intention to obtain SETV .

OP, you can obtain a tourist visa without issue.

Given that your plan is to stay Malaysia for one month then with your history then returning visa exempt also an option. 

Yes, makes more sense to me to go for a tourist visa in KL and cheaper too than keep flying in and out of Thailand for a visa exempt stay. Was just concerned the embassy might refuse a tourist visa application with my ‘history’ 

thanks for the reply

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Please report back on your experience applying for a tourist visa in KL. Over many years, the embassy there has fluctuated widely in how friendly it is towards those applying for tourist visas. I have seen no recent reports on the current situation there.

If you must return visa exempt, which airport do you plan to fly into?

I will do that if it helps.

I’ll be returning into Don Mueang, Does it make a difference immigration wise between DMK or BKK?

cheers 

44 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I’ll be returning into Don Mueang, Does it make a difference immigration wise between DMK or BKK?

cheers 

I would think no one can say for sure. DMK used to have a reputation as a harder place because of catering to the low-cost carriers flying from nearby countries but the only time I have been pulled aside was at Suvarnabhumi.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

cheers 

Both the Bangkok airports have been known to be tough on those entering visa exempt. Some consider Don Muang stricter than Suvarnabhumi. Since you will have been out of Thailand for a month, and your history as a tourist is not extreme, I doubt you will have a problem, but it is not impossible. (If you have a visa, you should definitely be OK.)

OP: My issue is, i've been in and out of Thailand since last August on visa exempt and I've now used up all my extensions (2 per calendar year)

There is no calender limit on extensions. There is also no limit on number of visa exempt entries by air (there is limit of 2 visa exempt entries by land)

Edited by Pattaya57

9 hours ago, rabang said:

I would think no one can say for sure. DMK used to have a reputation as a harder place because of catering to the low-cost carriers flying from nearby countries but the only time I have been pulled aside was at Suvarnabhumi.

Just before the pandemic I was pulled aside, first at DMK, later at Suvarnabhumi. While questioning at DMK was courteous and friendly, the same cannot be said about the IO who quizzed me at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Your situation is virtually identical to mine. I've been in and out on one tourist visa and two exempts since September. How many times have you been in and out on Visa exempts?

16 hours ago, stratocaster said:

The first thing you need to understand is the appointment system for KL. The appointment system works 14 days in advance so if you had logged in yesterday the only day available was the 16 May. If you login today the only day available is the 17 May. If you check on Saturday or Sunday the available day will be the first  Monday after 14 days. That is why there are never any times available by 0600 on Monday. Tuesday times are normally gone by 0800  There are only 6 times available. To get your passport back requires 4 working days and must be pre booked, only two times per day available. To get your passport back the same week requires applying on a Monday or Tuesday. Applying on a Wednesday will get your passport returned on the following Tuesday afternoon due to the weekend plus 4 working days. From this you can see why there are normally application slots available on Wed. Thurs and Friday.

There have been numerous reports that they are strictly following the visa guidelines as below.

1. Original Passport with at least 6-month validity and 2 blank visa pages
2. A completed visa application form with a passport size photo
3. A copy of passport (ID page)
4. A copy of reservation/confirmation of transport tickets to and from Thailand
5. The applicant’s bank statement or bank book showing the account’s name and
number, balance and history of transactions for the last 3 months
6. Proof of payment for accommodation for the whole period of stay in Thailand
(the receipt must state the tax payer number of the relevant
hotel/accommodation)

Very useful post. Thanks.

A tourist visa can be for 3 months, Do they expect me to prove i've paid for hotels for a full three months in advance when i apply?

9 hours ago, DNSEA said:

Your situation is virtually identical to mine. I've been in and out on one tourist visa and two exempts since September. How many times have you been in and out on Visa exempts?

Since last August i've entered Thailand on an entry stamp 4 times, I've been to immigration twice to to extend my stay

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Very useful post. Thanks.

A tourist visa can be for 3 months, Do they expect me to prove i've paid for hotels for a full three months in advance when i apply?

The way I understand it is you have to have accommodation booked up until the date of your flight out of Thailand, so you book a few weeks and get a cheap or cancellable or movable flight leaving on the last day.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:42 AM, stratocaster said:

The first thing you need to understand is the appointment system for KL. The appointment system works 14 days in advance so if you had logged in yesterday the only day available was the 16 May. If you login today the only day available is the 17 May. If you check on Saturday or Sunday the available day will be the first  Monday after 14 days. That is why there are never any times available by 0600 on Monday. Tuesday times are normally gone by 0800  There are only 6 times available. To get your passport back requires 4 working days and must be pre booked, only two times per day available. To get your passport back the same week requires applying on a Monday or Tuesday. Applying on a Wednesday will get your passport returned on the following Tuesday afternoon due to the weekend plus 4 working days. From this you can see why there are normally application slots available on Wed. Thurs and Friday.

There have been numerous reports that they are strictly following the visa guidelines as below.

1. Original Passport with at least 6-month validity and 2 blank visa pages
2. A completed visa application form with a passport size photo
3. A copy of passport (ID page)
4. A copy of reservation/confirmation of transport tickets to and from Thailand
5. The applicant’s bank statement or bank book showing the account’s name and
number, balance and history of transactions for the last 3 months
6. Proof of payment for accommodation for the whole period of stay in Thailand
(the receipt must state the tax payer number of the relevant
hotel/accommodation)

Nice, informative post. 

But, I am surprised. They really seem to have gotten strict about the requirements.

About 4 years ago, I got my Thai visa in Malaysia. But, it was in Penang and it was a single entry tourist visa. I am very sure that for example they didn't ask for a bank statement. And, I can't remember if I had to give an accommodation document. I had it with me but not sure now if they asked for it. 

Maybe, the difference was because mine was a single entry visa? Or, maybe it was because it was in Penang, not KL? Or, maybe things have changed and the requirements are like the ones listed above for all types of tourist visas? Any idea?