3bb Bridge Mode

johnjohn2

Trying to turn on Bridge mode for the 3BB AN5506-04-FA Fiber Router. When I go to Connection Type its greyed out. I cannot select Bridge. Can someone point me in the direction to get it to what I want?

If I change Service type to Internet I can change it to Bridge but then I lose internet. 

Thanks if anyone can tell me what I need to do. 

26 minutes ago, johnjohn2 said:

To add a second router and increase wifi range. 

Would a WiFi Extender/repeater not be easier and better? 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 2

recom273. Thanks. Your right. Phone started ringing and the internet went down while I was watching a movie.  It was 3BB calling. They put the router into bridge from over there. I dont have the other router ready to go yet. Was wondering what the hell was going on. Basically they told me the same thing. Or I can just call them and they will send a tech over to do it for me. Its simple enough I can do it myself though when I do the other router. 

5 minutes ago, johnjohn2 said:

recom273. Thanks. Your right. Phone started ringing and the internet went down while I was watching a movie.  It was 3BB calling. They put the router into bridge from over there. I dont have the other router ready to go yet. Was wondering what the hell was going on. Basically they told me the same thing. Or I can just call them and they will send a tech over to do it for me. Its simple enough I can do it myself though when I do the other router. 

Yes, tbh, I never do it myself, I get the tech to do it when they run the fibre cable in - not that I can't, it's just if it doesnt work, then I'm not left scratching my head. Which is what happened when I moved to Issan, I needed the VLAN number, which I had never encountered before.

ETS: 3BB offer a ONT, which is a small box, that replaces a router in bridge mode. Much neater and a little faster. You just have to keep on asking for one.

Edited by recom273

Using a router in bridge mode effectively turns the router into a "dumb" switch or as in the "old" days we would use coaxial splitters.  The bridged router is no longer performing the NAT (Network Address Translation) routing.

There isn't a serious problem with using two NAT routers in sequence to connect your home network to the internet as long as you connect all computers to the last router.  This should include all devices using WiFi too.  In fact you should disable the WiFi function in the modem provided by your ISP.

• Confused 1