Good News For X-box 360 User

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

Microsoft announced that the Warranty for XBox 360 is extended to 3 Years.

""Great news for all you Xbox 360 owners. Microsoft has decided to extend the general hardware failure coverage for all X360 consoles to 3 years.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date.

We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience."

Source: xbox.com

It's not valid in Thailand....

Why shouldn't it valid in thailand?I agree xbox 360 wasn't launched in thailand but regardless if it's a japanese or a us version the console was at one point delivered by microsoft.So that means if you migrate to another country you lose your warranty's on your personal belongings?

Guest Reimar

If the XBox was bought from a legal source (authorized Reseller of MS) and you have the required documents, the Warranty applies, doesn't matter where you are! If the XBox was bought from an "black" Importer, there isn't any Warranty.

If the XBox was bought from a legal source (authorized Reseller of MS) and you have the required documents, the Warranty applies, doesn't matter where you are! If the XBox was bought from an "black" Importer, there isn't any Warranty.

I read several posts on different forums regarding xbox 360 where they said that the warranty is valid even without any receipt.Will have to wait to know if this is true untill mine breaks down which I cross fingers that it will not happen.

Where are you going to send it to.....

All xbox360's bought here are grey imports.

In terms of warranties, no they are generally not transferable to other countries, unless it's an international warranty (the xbox 360 isn't). You keep the warranty if you move country, but it's for the locale you purchased the electronics from.

Guest Reimar

As I wrote before: "If the XBox was bought from a legal source (authorized Reseller of MS) and you have the required documents, the Warranty applies, doesn't matter where you are! If the XBox was bought from an "black" Importer, there isn't any Warranty."

I Europe you may buy in Norway and move to Germany, the warranty applies by every "Legal" MS Dealer! If you bought the Box in Thailand, it's "black" Import and hasn't any Warranty! But If you buy from an authorized Dealer, let say in US via Mail Service, you have the warranty but you need to send back the product to the dealer in US!

It's as easy as that! As long as you bought it legally, you on the legal side: with warranty! If you bought in Thailand: NO WARRANTY and it's your own fault! Nothing to complain!

As I wrote before: "If the XBox was bought from a legal source (authorized Reseller of MS) and you have the required documents, the Warranty applies, doesn't matter where you are! If the XBox was bought from an "black" Importer, there isn't any Warranty."

I Europe you may buy in Norway and move to Germany, the warranty applies by every "Legal" MS Dealer! If you bought the Box in Thailand, it's "black" Import and hasn't any Warranty! But If you buy from an authorized Dealer, let say in US via Mail Service, you have the warranty but you need to send back the product to the dealer in US!

It's as easy as that! As long as you bought it legally, you on the legal side: with warranty! If you bought in Thailand: NO WARRANTY and it's your own fault! Nothing to complain!

Yes, but if you live in Thailand then you would still have to send the 360 out of the country and re-import it back in (the customs guys will TAX and DUTY you on this).

Also I don't think you are correct about the European Warranty, OR the US Warranty - The xbox360 US warranty only warranties it for use in the US, they have a different electrical system and there is no way that they will apply a warranty to someone using it in a country with a different voltage, downconverters etc..

Again, it's not really Good news for people in Thailand is it?

Guest Reimar

Yes, but if you live in Thailand then you would still have to send the 360 out of the country and re-import it back in (the customs guys will TAX and DUTY you on this).

That's quite easy, just present the goods to the custom and declare a re-import because of Warranty Claim, keep the paper and show that to thje custom when the goods return!

Also I don't think you are correct about the European Warranty, OR the US Warranty - The xbox360 US warranty only warranties it for use in the US, they have a different electrical system and there is no way that they will apply a warranty to someone using it in a country with a different voltage, downconverters etc..

The warranty applies worldwide but limited to authorized Dealer and/or Reseller of MS only. And the Voltage of US isn't a probleme because the PS is 100 - 230 Volt.

Again, it's not really Good news for people in Thailand is it?

If the Thailand Users bought the box from an authorized Dealer/Reseller they can claim if they need!

Edited by Reimar

The Xbox 360 is NOT multivoltage, I know because I've blown a Power Supply for one before (plugged a 110v into the 220v power socket here in Thailand).

You obviously don't have much experience of importing luxury consumer electronics if you really believe its that simple, At a guess I'd say shipping, duty and Tax for exporting your xbox360 and then re-importing it would be near to US$250, IF you could even get Microsoft to ship it back to you overseas.

The Warranty is not worldwide, you are covered to use the console in the country you purchased it - certainly not covered by warranty for buying a grey import in a country that Microsoft doesn't even sell the system in.

Guest Reimar
The Xbox 360 is NOT multivoltage, I know because I've blown a Power Supply for one before (plugged a 110v into the 220v power socket here in Thailand).

One of our customers bought a XBox360 in US and bring here and the PS was 100 - 230 Volt, I've seen it because I warned him before of the 110 Volts! May your's is from a different source?!

You obviously don't have much experience of importing luxury consumer electronics if you really believe its that simple, At a guess I'd say shipping, duty and Tax for exporting your xbox360 and then re-importing it would be near to US$250, IF you could even get Microsoft to ship it back to you overseas.

Unfortunatly I'm in the computer Business and importing from various Countries different products but not Gaming Products. The procedure for Warranty claims is something we know very well at our company! The cost for shipping via Air for less than 3 kg we pay max US $ 100 double way!

The Warranty is not worldwide, you are covered to use the console in the country you purchased it - certainly not covered by warranty for buying a grey import in a country that Microsoft doesn't even sell the system in.

As I wrote before but may not clear enough: The warranty applies for legal bought produts, even if I change my living place to a different country but I've to submit the proof (if required). The warranty do NOT apply for products from the black market or grey market if you like!

You're just talking rubbish now

i. I have two US xbox360's sitting on my desk right now, both PSU's are 110v and would be blown instantly by plugging them directly into the mains here.

ii. Computer parts are 3% or 7% Duty, pre-assembled Luxury Consumer Electronics are 30%.

iii. The Xbox360 weighs more than 3.5Kg unboxed, boxed is more like 6Kg.

iv. Sorry just can't see Microsoft a) taking an international shipment in to repair and :o sending it back Internationally c) by YOUR freight method rather than using their insured corporate account (UPS/Fedex etc...).

v. Seeing as Sony declared illegal any import of PS3 products into any other region (regardless of whether or not the PS3 is available in that region) and invalidated all warranties (including people who bought in the states and moved to the UK), I'm severly doubting that Microsoft will honour any warranties sent overseas from Thailand.

For example the US Microsoft Warranty explicitly states that its for the US only, as far as I'm aware NO SINGLE piece of consumer electronics with a specified voltage would advocate and warranty against the use in an unsupported country with a different voltage system, using a step-up converter.

Edited by Ben@H3-Digital

Guest Reimar
You're just talking rubbish now

Excuse me my dear friend but I haven't denied what you wrote but our experiences are different! You can accept or not that others have different experiences than you but if you accept only yours than it's you who is talking rubbish now.

i. I have two US xbox360's sitting on my desk right now, both PSU's are 110v and would be blown instantly by plugging them directly into the mains here.

I also do not deny that YOUR boxes are 110 v but the one I've seen was bought in Muncie, which is in Indiana USA as I know, and that was coming with 100 - 230 Volts.

ii. Computer parts are 3% or 7% Duty, pre-assembled Luxury Consumer Electronics are 30%.

Computer 0%, Computer parts 0%; 1%; 3% depend on kind of part and pre-assembled Consumer Electronics 0 - 65%. Anyway, in case of warranty claims will be not any duty and VAT will applies only if there cost for repairs are billed!

iii. The Xbox360 weighs more than 3.5Kg unboxed, boxed is more like 6Kg.

I haven't weight the XBox but I just was giving the cost for up to 3 kg and up to 5 kg isn't more than 120 US $ form TH-USA-TH

iv. Sorry just can't see Microsoft a) taking an international shipment in to repair and :o sending it back Internationally c) by YOUR freight method rather than using their insured corporate account (UPS/Fedex etc...).

I wrote that you need to send the box back to that dealer where you bought it from, NOT to MS!

v. Seeing as Sony declared illegal any import of PS3 products into any other region (regardless of whether or not the PS3 is available in that region) and invalidated all warranties (including people who bought in the states and moved to the UK), I'm severly doubting that Microsoft will honour any warranties sent overseas from Thailand.

As I know there isn't a legal Import from XBox to Denmark but talked a few weeks ago with an Pilot drom SAS who has claimed an Xbox from Denmark which was bought in US

For example the US Microsoft Warranty explicitly states that its for the US only, as far as I'm aware NO SINGLE piece of consumer electronics with a specified voltage would advocate and warranty against the use in an unsupported country with a different voltage system, using a step-up converter.

In my company we didn't sell or dealing with Gaming Devices and I know very little about the devices itself and realy don't want to know!

And once again for the last time: Black Market Products are out of any Warranty and all XBoxes bought in Thailand are without any Warranty.

What exciting banter between you two! Thanks for the laugh.

The extended warranty is USELESS in Thailand.

No ifs or buts. Reimar, don't even bother contradicting me as by your own admission "know very little about...". Your ignorance, I'm happy to say, is not contagious, therefore it affects only you.

Guest Reimar

Just only one thing:

May I should count how much times I wrote that there isn't any Warranty for XBox bought in Thailand! Even not if you send the Box to another country!

AjarnRuss:

It's about how companies handle Warranty Claims!

My op thread was done for the readers of TV, not limited to Thailand but to inform about the change of the Warranty Policy of MS because there was some complains abut it in the past allready.

That has nothing to do with I'm a user of an XBox or not! I'm not and will never one! And the Devices I talked from in the answer ("know very little about...". Why you do not also past the words "the devices" ?) was the XBox!

Anybody read this article?

http://www.destructoid.com/could-surge-pro...60--34605.phtml

Possibly the root cause of the 360 failures could be due to surge protectors!

It seems 90% of the failed 360 were plugged into surge protectors

I've had 2 dead 2 360s now and both are now acting as doorstops - not found anybody to repair PAL 360s here in Thailand to repair them and cost to much to send back to UK for repair.

If this is indeed true it means I'm going to be going through a few more 360s as I have always had my electronic gear on UPS (essential for Thailand if you ask me!)

Hope my 3rd 260 lasts longer than the last 2!

Edited by Ian_B

Ian - Watch this space mate, there may be a couple of places in BKK that can repair. I'm waiting to hear about 1 guy in Seacon, and MBK apparently has 1 teccie who can fix. Should know details real soon then I'll pass on the details.

Reimar - Sorry man, I posted before the 1st coffee of the day!

Ian - Watch this space mate, there may be a couple of places in BKK that can repair. I'm waiting to hear about 1 guy in Seacon, and MBK apparently has 1 teccie who can fix. Should know details real soon then I'll pass on the details.

Reimar - Sorry man, I posted before the 1st coffee of the day!

Cheers mate

Would be great if i could get them fixed - that way I'd have spares for when the 360 I'm using now goes down :o

Thats interesting because everyoen I know has Asian ones, and no-one seems to have had any problems. Anyone know if the Asian ones are made in a different factory or by a different company? I thought I remembered seeing that there were 2 production lines at different locations.

Mine's asian and it has big problems. It's broken twice in 4 months. I think every region is affected. Anyway, i've just been told that it's fixed and ready to be picked up, but i'm not sure how long it will last. Fingers crossed.

If you want it fixed, I took mine back to Art and Gun game but they may only do it if you bought it there, nit sure really. They had about 6 line dup and some they can fix, some they can't. Also there's a guy in sapahn leck - china town. Should cost about 2k baht.

Guest Reimar

The latest news from MS says that there will be a new XBox n360 named Falcon in the near future.

on microsoft.blognewschannel.com you can read:

"Dean Takahashi reports that Microsoft is almost ready to start selling the next generation of the Xbox 360, code-named “Falcon”. Dean says that “Falcon” uses a 65-nanometer manufacturing process for both the CPU and the ATI graphics chip, reducing manufacturing costs and overheating for the console.

Once the revision makes its way into the manufacturing pipeline, something Dean says will be completed this summer, Microsoft will have multiple options for the Xbox 360.

They can:

* Sell the Xbox 360 at its current price, and make a higher profit on every sale due to lower costs, as well as touting the lower temperature of the system.

* Lower the price of the 360 to improve sales, cutting off Sony’s still-expensive PS3 and better competing with Nintendo’s Wii.

* Improve the design of the 360, making it smaller.

* Add more features inside the 360 (like an HD-DVD drive), taking advantage of the fact that things are a lot more stable inside.

The point is, these new Falcon-based 360s represent a major change for the 360, getting it to be cheaper to make and finally ending the heat problem, and makes Microsoft far more competitive. The new chips cost half as much, which puts Microsoft in a great position against Sony."

Just hope my last working 360 can last till the 65nm versions are available.

Last gen it was the xbox that was the most reliable - My original Xbox worked flawlessly for it's entire life but in that time I went through 3 PS2s (which all had reading problems)

The falcon will be US ready in the fall of this year, but where does that leave us in Thailand??

I would guess that they'll be available here towards the end of the year.

On a related note, will the PS3 price reduction be in effect here?

First of all I'd like to ask Ben why do you think Microsoft extended their gurantee to 3 years at a cost of 1 Billion if the 3 red rings of death is just a myth and made up by Sony Fan boys !?!?

My 360 is a Japanese version which got the 3 rings of death right after I'd donwloaded the spring update, have seen a number of people claiming the same thing.

Anyway took my 360 back to the shop in Seacon Square and they told me it would be 2 to 3 days ..... 2 months later they give it back to me fixed, took it home and it lasted 2 minutes before it was flashing again ..... took it back again, again they said 2 more days, this time it has worked fine for 2 days at the moment, touch wood ..... I have bought the Intercooler thing for the back of the 360, and I have a notebook cooler under the 360, so hopefully it will be ok .....

Russ, I'm at work and can't remember the name of the shop, I'll pm you later with the details, the repair cost 2,000baht .... I have a website that tells you how to fix your 360's by yourself, has a 90% success rate, something to do with releasing the X-clamps .... too difficult for me, but if anyones interested in having a go, I'll give the link .... supposed to be easy step by step instructions but lost me after the first bit :o

The Intercooler is one of the things that is supposed to break the 360. Like I said I myself and those I know with a 360 have yet to have problems, maybe we are just lucky.

Is your xbox chipped?, I had a hel_l of a job finding non-chipped ones, but like I said they all work flawlessly.

Attached you find a very good tutorial on how to fix your 3 lights of death problem using the x-clamp method.Very well illustrated and with links to how to dissmantle your console and all the things you need to know.They clame a success rate of over 90%.

tutorial to x-clamp removal click here