Travel/Health Insurance: 9 Months Per Year [Below 40 years old]

Hi, 

I'm below 40 and I stay around 9 months per year in Thailand. To date it has been consecutive Tourist Visas (and STV's) and this autumn it will be through a 20y Thailand Elite Visa. 

Currently I'm on ACS: Globe Partner (Travel Insurance): https://www.acs-ami.com/en/travel-insurance/globe-partner/

The way I'm thinking about these things is, in short, that I want to be covered in accidents and immediate/sudden sickness. Any long term permanent issues, such as a cancer or diabetes, I want to be covered for the "getting sick-part" and then go home to Scandinavia, for treatment. 

Is this a decent coverage for my needs? 

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

What do you do with your time?

I invest both in the public and the private markets, if you want any more detail I'm available in the DM's. However, I would like this very thread to stay on topic. Thanks! 

Usually the best insurance is one based in home country. Use google to find them. Some wholesalers offer discount codes for 10% offer.

Its impossible to recommend one with knowing your home country.

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Usually the best insurance is one based in home country. Use google to find them. Some wholesalers offer discount codes for 10% offer.

Its impossible to recommend one with knowing your home country.

Uninformed and silly to argue that it's "impossible" to benchmark global policies without knowing the home country, or that a local based policy is by definition better. 

4 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Uninformed and silly to argue that it's "impossible" to benchmark global policies without knowing the home country, or that a local based policy is by definition better. 

Why can't you do it then? Just google cheap insurance. Rather lazy.

If in hospital at home having a local office is a big help.

Edited by bignok

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Why can't you do it then? Just google cheap insurance. Rather lazy.

If in hospital at home having a local office is a big help.

I do sympathize with you being unemployed, restless and no purpose in life - but please stay out of my threads with your off-topic stuff. Get a purpose, start living. 

Looking at the explanation of coverage provided by ACS, it appears that coverage applies only while outside of one's country of residence. If one is resident in Thailand for nine months of the year, it is possible that the insurance company would say that your country of residence is Thailand and deny coverage. At the very least, you should clarify this in advance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, aldriglikvid said:

I do sympathize with you being unemployed, restless and no purpose in life - but please stay out of my threads with your off-topic stuff. Get a purpose, start living. 

Ok sure. I just bought insurance. Took 3 minutes. 4th holiday in 6 months. Ticking up to 30 towns. So obviously a great life.

Good luck buddy.

2 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Looking at the explanation of coverage provided by ACS, it appears that coverage applies only while outside of one's country of residence. If one is resident in Thailand for nine months of the year, it is possible that the insurance company would say that your country of residence is Thailand and deny coverage. At the very least, you should clarify this in advance.

Yes, thank you - I noticed that as well, and they confirmed it was active. They also mentioned that whenever I stay 12 months or longer, they have other relevant plans for me. 

ACS is a mutually owned insurance co (which I like) and they are based on France/EU law, ombudsman, board of complaints etc. 

Overall it's hard to find forums where people say that ACS doesn't pay when it matters. 

1 minute ago, aldriglikvid said:

Yes, thank you - I noticed that as well, and they confirmed it was active. They also mentioned that whenever I stay 12 months or longer, they have other relevant plans for me. 

ACS is a mutually owned insurance co (which I like) and they are based on France/EU law, ombudsman, board of complaints etc. 

Overall it's hard to find forums where people say that ACS doesn't pay when it matters. 

ACS is an insurance broker, not an insurance company. While they may sell this insurance product, the final say on claims may rest with the insurance company, in this case, with respect to medical claims, I believe the insurer is MGEN. MGEN carries a rating of A+ from Fitch Ratings, so they have good financial strength. I have no idea as to their claims-paying attitude. You might wish to do a search and see if there are any reviews of MGEN's claims handling.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

ACS is an insurance broker, not an insurance company. While they may sell this insurance product, the final say on claims may rest with the insurance company, in this case, with respect to medical claims, I believe the insurer is MGEN. MGEN carries a rating of A+ from Fitch Ratings, so they have good financial strength. I have no idea as to their claims-paying attitude. You might wish to do a search and see if there are any reviews of MGEN's claims handling.

Yes, the French mutual insurance company (as earlier mentioned) that's actually writing the policy is MGEN - but for me, as a foreigner, I'm only allowed to get it from their official partner ACS. If I were French, which I'm not, I could buy it via MGEN.