Muslim man crowned Mr Gay World Thailand set to compete globally in October

webfact

image.jpeg

Nazmadih Mateem Nujan, centre, winner of this year's Mr Gay World Thailand. Picture courtesy of Mr Gay World Thailand Facebook.

by Mitch Connor

A 30 year old Muslim man from southern Thailand has made history by winning the Mr Gay World Thailand competition and will represent the Thai LGBTQ+ community at the Mr Gay World 2023 contest in October later this year.

Nazmadih Mateem Nujan, an outdoor fitness instructor, clinched the title at the event hosted by Bangkok Rainbow Organisation at Mambo Cabaret. He is set to fly to South Africa to participate in the global competition from October 23–29, becoming the first Muslim to represent Thailand at Mr Gay World.

In a recent interview, Nazmadih discussed his experiences as an openly gay man living in a Muslim society. Despite the potential for discrimination, he praised his family and community in Kuan Prab Village, Phatthalung, for offering unwavering support, Bangkok Post reported.

Nevertheless, he acknowledged that some misconceptions might persist within the diverse Muslim community. According to Nazmadih, it is crucial to communicate with those who may misunderstand. 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/muslim-man-crowned-mr-gay-world-thailand-set-to-compete-globally-in-october

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I thought that Islam frown at gay people, he's not going to win any votes in his mosque, and the imam not going to be pleased.

Just don't be in front of him at prayer time... 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

I thought that Islam frown at gay people, he's not going to win any votes in his mosque, and the imam not going to be pleased.

I presume that the Imam and mosque are part of his community, so there seems to be no problem there:

"Despite the potential for discrimination, he praised his family and community in Kuan Prab Village, Phatthalung, for offering unwavering support"

I hope that puts your mind at rest.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I presume that the Imam and mosque are part of his community, so there seems to be no problem there:

"Despite the potential for discrimination, he praised his family and community in Kuan Prab Village, Phatthalung, for offering unwavering support"

I hope that puts your mind at rest.

That's good to hear.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He should go to America. With all those work HR people over there he should be able to get almost any job.

Who can compete again a brown gay Muslim on the woke scale? 

In the majority of US states there are no anti-discrimination laws protecting gay people. In other words people can legally be either not hired or fired just for being gay in most of the US. 

But gave you a chance to make another tired woke joke so it's not a complete loss. 

• Like 1