MEA in Bangkok to replace computer bills with SMS?

lopburi3

Have not seen any discussion but today MEA officials visited our village in Bangkok with request to present last electric bill and a phone number to link for future billing via SMS.  Are they planning a quick change to electronic meters by chance?

I don't know.

But I never look at my bills since a long time. I have my bill payment setup in my online bank account settings. When I click on the MEA entry, I see how much I have to pay. Or I see that I paid it already.

Obviously, we need one initial bill or document to be able to set this up. But then it's good enough to check it once a month online and pay it. 

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know.

But I never look at my bills since a long time. I have my bill payment setup in my online bank account settings. When I click on the MEA entry, I see how much I have to pay. Or I see that I paid it already.

Obviously, we need one initial bill or document to be able to set this up. But then it's good enough to check it once a month online and pay it. 

We have automatic payment and do not believe has anything to do with that - just that they will not be providing handheld computer printout of meter reading as has always been the case previously.  Normally meter reader goes to every house same day each month and prints out a usage/cost/bill for each house by manually checking meter reading.  Appears they may be changing that.  But they were providing a gift plastic container so maybe trying to get people onboard for a change in future.

I not have a printout bill since more than a year. I become a SMS with a PDF bill.
Additional I receive an SMS with the information the bill is ready and a link.

I have setup this in the MEA app with the advantage of auto bill payment.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I not have a printout bill since more than a year. I become a SMS with a PDF bill.
Additional I receive an SMS with the information the bill is ready and a link.

I have setup this in the MEA app with the advantage of auto bill payment.

OK sounds like they spreading that system then - no interest in any MEA app but expect it will just continue with automatic bank payment as has been the case for decades but will have to use SMS to view bill (which not that easy with a phone without internet access).  Thanks.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know.

Same here with MEA as payee setup in bank payment settings. Not sure how it pulls in the payment amount but it does. Been doing that for well over 10yrs. Was able to successfully get registered for email bills too - that stopped the paper slips. My meter gets read on 5th of month so set a reminder for 6th to log in to bank and pay. Once paid they send a receipt by email. They also send emails and SMS bills. Can also login to MEA online to see usage and past bill history. Could be a bit simpler but it works well. Same with AIS, NT-TOT, 3BB too. Useful when overseas so not to forget to pay.

Getting everyone on to electronic billing is likely a precursor to going to remote reading (so electronic "smart" meters), less cost for MEA.

Just how rapidly electronic meters are going to be deployed is another matter of course.

Have not had a printout bill for more than a year.

I receive an SMS with the information the bill is ready and a link. I then pay via the MEA app ....... 

same with AIS for much longer [internet + 2 mobiles], water is paid by App but still get a paper bill every month.