Discontent Regarding the Lack of Distinction Between Expensive and Cheap Marijuana

47 minutes ago, thirsty21 said:

I hope that some will take appropriate action to rectify this situation

So you're a "Delegator".

Who, and please be very, very clear, do you expect to "take appropriate action".

The cannabis market is still in the nascent stage, not yet one year old, still in diapers and not yet walking. You seem to want it to transition into a fully mature adult instantaneously. That seems like an an unreasonable expectation.

Is there some other country which has a model which satisfies your requirements currently? Just for our reference.

Your requirements are reasonable. How we get there, and in what timeframe, seems undertermined right now.

The domestic market including tourists isn't reallly large enough to justify the production and distribution volumes already in place. And there is no export market. So we're in the first bubble. That needs to burst, with a massive reset and consolidation, to move onto the second phase. That assumes there are no changes in the legal framework, as many expect Cannabis becoming medical only would be an early, quick success for a new government.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

Your account info says your account was created in the later half of 2021 so you probably haven’t been in Thailand long enough to have noticed that Thailand isn’t really known for suggestion boxes.  

Remarkably, in a country quite used to fielding 40 million tourists a year, your opinion of things in Thailand holds almost the same level of importance as the numbers after 3.14 in pi, technically they exist but for all practical purposes, nobody cares.  

This is a country where they don’t bend over backwards to make the customer happy, rather they sue people that leave bad reviews under Thailand’s rather ridiculous defamation laws.  

If it’s any consolation, you gave me a good laugh.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, thirsty21 said:

Government and Regulatory Bodies: The Thai government and relevant regulatory bodies can establish or enhance regulations and standards for the marijuana industry. They can implement quality control measures, testing protocols, and labeling requirements to ensure transparency and consumer protection.

No more reading this thread now, as you dont have a clue. What the heck are you on about????? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marin said:

No more reading this thread now, as you dont have a clue. What the heck are you on about????? 

Why are asking a serious question of this expert on 'unique and memorable highs'? 

8 minutes ago, marin said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the cannabis market, but I don't think you're adding much value to the discussion with your vague statement. 

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to back up your opinions with some facts and logic. Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time with your empty words. You can't expect us to do all the thinking for you.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thirsty21 said:

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to back up your opinions with some facts and logic. Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time with your empty words. You can't expect us to do all the thinking for you.

The reason the cannibis market is messed up is the government you want to regulate the issue. There are no rules, no nothing as Anutin rushed too much to get it approved. You want facts, you know little to nothing of the Thai weed market. Fact. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thirsty21 said:

Government and Regulatory Bodies: The Thai government and relevant regulatory bodies can establish or enhance regulations and standards for the marijuana industry. They can implement quality control measures, testing protocols, and labeling requirements to ensure transparency and consumer protection.

BTW, is this from an article you've penned and published elsewhere? Maybe a letter to the editor?

The first draft of the Cannabis Control Act (CCA), read in Parliament last year, and which passed easily after the first reading, called for the establishment of a Cannabis Control Board. Its 25 members, representing the relevant government entities (and the public by extension), would establish and oversee all matter related to cannabis. This would have led to a more highly regulated environment, which might yield results you propose/expect.

The whole craft beer experiment (as a result of recent and pending liberalization) faces similar expectations and challenges. However given the production and distribution nuances of this market, it is inherently more self-regulating.

16 minutes ago, thirsty21 said:

I'm glad to hear that my previous response brought some humor to your day! Laughter is always a great way to lighten the mood and find enjoyment in conversations.

Yes, these 'manifesto' like posts always elicit a standard response in me: "Sir, this is a Wendys".

Your expectations and requirements are totally reasonable, to the point of common sense, so writing about them seems useless, other than to satisfy your need to express your "dissatisfaction".

Offering detailed solutions, other than

1 hour ago, thirsty21 said:

that some will take appropriate action to rectify this situation,

would go a long way.

Now, you've done that subsequently with your 4 bullet points above.

Other than No. 1, the others would require cat-herding expertise.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

op........most of those high end pics you posted i would guess are low quality old flower from cali - possibly last years crop. 

Thought the same ....... high-end pics looks like PGR grows from the USA.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LOWERCASEGUY said:

Your account info says your account was created in the later half of 2021 so you probably haven’t been in Thailand long enough to have noticed that Thailand isn’t really known for suggestion boxes.  

Are you implying that everyone that moves to Thailand signs up with AN (formerly TV) as soon as they arrive? I signed up back in 2007 but have been coming here for a few decades prior and living here for nearly 10 years before I became a member.

As for the OP, who in their right mind is paying 500-700 THB/gram? I am very satisfied with the 100-200 THB/gram I am consuming. Besides the name of the strain doesn't mean jack. That same strain could have multiple names and each crop of that strain could have different effects. Likewise the same doobie may provide a different effect for different people.

• Like 2

I agree with thirsty21. All in favor of nice, dense, tasty nugs with that je nais se quois “Terpene Profile”, say aye!

In the business back in the states, we had a regulatory body on both quality and pricing:

Quality was strictly enforced by the consumer, a wide demographic of discerning smokers, who had several hundred dispensaries to chose from. If you missed the mark on quality, the cannabis fashionista would publicly crucify you on social media as well as any cannabis related network. They wanted and demanded the best. 

Here in Thailand, you are not the demographic. It’s the cannabis tourist. The market is a completely unregulated race-to-the-bottom. When one-off buyers will pay big baht by the gram and never return, why should they play to you, the “regular”? Go buy where you feel comfortable. 

Darwinism will triumph in the business and only successful business grow models will triumph. You will ultimately be left with “the Walmart”of weed and hopefully a cut above that. Imagine……lots of great LED lights and lots and lots of nimble fingers, hand trimming all those great nugs……..

Curious. You think a dispensary that professes to you, their knowledge of the genetics, cultivation techniques and terpene profiles of their flower, presents you a value added perspective and a better, more informed decision? I have this bridge you might be interested in…. Believing any information in regards to the flower you are considering buying is a complete fantasy, likely handed down by the seed bank the seeds came from.

Here is how I quantify the difference in your bud pics. Good bud: tight, dense nugs, no leaf material, very tight trim. Bad Bud: leafy, airy, stemy, sloppy trimming, brown and OLD, degraded by humidity and light.

Find a weed shop(s) that meet your criteria for the bud you like, or better, start a thread and datapoint all the great shops and share them with the expat peeps. They in turn, will share theirs and so on.

Pricing. Capitalism is great and certainly promotes that Darwinism model. In Colorado, the CDR (Colorado Dept of Revenue) sets the pricing with a quarterly AMR (Average Market Rate). They use the data they collate from the seed-to-sale software, that every dispensary and grow op must use, and collate metrics. This is what happens in a regulated industry. The current AMR for 1 lb (454 grams) of retail flower is  currently $645. That’s 49.00 baht a gram. In a fair, keystone retail business, the price would be 100 baht a gram. This somewhat correlates to the US$90.00 an ounce - out the door price that you see in Denver. Of course, the latest “Unicorn Poop” strain always sells for $260(ish).

This is what regulates a fair market with balanced trade. Tourism and ‘whatever the market will bear’ pricing, dominates this market. If you have high standards, find your niche dealer and strike up a relationship for some dank cola bud. And, please, buy some weight.  If you’re a gram buyer that likes to talk about what bothers you, I doubt you’ll get to the good stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

i got the knock your socks off that beats all those percentages and prices. it's so good even gets me high after dabbing all day. 

once you smoke true high quality flower you really realize the market is just an ocean of mids.

op........most of those high end pics you posted i would guess are low quality old flower from cali - possibly last years crop. 

the low quality pics are all outdoor/greenhouse grown here in thailand. 

I'll stand by this statement ????

I do sense the OP correct. I enjoy alcohol in moderation, prefer it socially so it's ok for me to leave the weed thing. Hadn't smoked in decades up to about 9 months ago anyway.

That bud looks great to my eye despite Mr Stoners analysis which I believe rock solid. But that's what we see / buy all the time. Online it's 20% cheaper but even more hit or miss.

Branding and direct sales as best way forward both over the counter and anonymously as well as online. Distribution is out because once it's on the market the packaging will be copied or will need to work with 'authorized dealers' and keep it tight.

The notion of smoking the better part of a joint for a buzz that lasts perhaps an hour is not appealing on many levels to me.

While 300b is really my limit on principle and budget I readily believe that there is definitely weed worth paying more. In fact, I've recently smoked some.

There's a fortune still to be made but it's reliant on something in short supply these days: credibility and trust. The company that can establish consistency, value and trust will own it all.

Edited by Plern
  • Like 1