Renewing Passport in another country and transferring stamps to new passport

My passport is coming up for renewal in November and I do not wish to travel to Bangkok twice to lodge it and pick it up, if at all possible as I am an 8 hours drive away.

I am thinking to renew my passport in Laos for example and then take my new passport with letter from the embassy to my immigration to transfer the stamps from the old passport to the new passport.

Appreciate any advice on this, or any other options I may have.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't follow.

How long is process time to obtain new passport in eg Laos..

The Laos border is about an hour and a half drive from my place, then a taxi on the other side to and from the embassy for 300 baht, re-entry permit 1,000 baht as opposed to driving or flying to Bangkok.

Not sure of the process time in Laos, my question was, can it be done in another country, but Lopburi3 believes it may not be done.

I have an Oz Passport and Will27 has provided some solid advice.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

You don't have to go to Bkk twice.

You can get it posted to you after lodging the application.

Why don't you apply  online/ by mail?

Good stuff, thanks for the option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

You don't have to go to Bkk twice.

You can get it posted to you after lodging the application.

Why don't you apply  online/ by mail?

I just read on the Embassies website that it can all be done on line, i.e. I don't need to go in, does that sound correct to you ?

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Mailed_in_passport_applications.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just read on the Embassies website that it can all be done on line, i.e. I don't need to go in, does that sound correct to you

I also plan to obtain new Oz pp.

No issue as I'm in Bangkok.

Interested in doing it online however it seems that proof of Australian citizenship is required and it list birth certificate along with some other option.

I do not have either. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Interested in doing it online however it seems that proof of Australian citizenship is required and it list birth certificate along with some other option.

I done have either. 

I will look at it later, I just emailed them asking them to confirm that I don't need to go in and if they would provide a letter to immigration automatically when renewing my passport so that I can have stamps transferred.

As for birth certificates and the like, I have the lot.

It all sounds to good to be true, but will make me a happy if I don't got to go anywhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It all sounds to good to be true, but will make me a happy if I don't got to go anywhere.

Email came back, standard run of the mil email, have to contact them, which I did and they confirmed, don't have to go in, just do it online.

Well stone the crows ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you entitled to get a new normal passport (ie other than an emergency travel document) from a consulate or embassy in a country where you are not registered with the embassy as a resident in said country? 

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I do not have either. 

I'm pretty sure that's only the case if you're getting a passport for the first time, not for a renewal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Are you entitled to get a new normal passport (ie other than an emergency travel document) from a consulate or embassy in a country where you are not registered with the embassy as a resident in said country? 

Yes.

Not sure what your residency status in Thailand would have to do with anything.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Yes.

Not sure what your residency status in Thailand would have to do with anything.

Many embassies only issue an emergency travel document if you are not registered with it as living the country. With the emergency travel document you then travel back to where you officially live in order to get a new fully-fledged passport.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Many embassies only issue an emergency travel document if you are not registered with it as living the country. With the emergency travel document you then travel back to where you officially live in order to get a new fully-fledged passport.

You can get a new Aussie passport through the embassy.

As you can also get an emergency travel document.

I'm pretty sure nothing else really matters about your status in Thailand.

Edit* Maybe I don't understand what it is you're trying to say.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm pretty sure that's only the case if you're getting a passport for the first time, not for a renewal.

You are correct.

I just started the application.

It's user friendly. 

Once you register an account you can start the form and it saves that info and can add uploads etc. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can I ask how long you before your Passport expires, mine is in November, so just wondering how long I should wait before applying for the renewal online ?

I hazard a guess if I applied next month it would be approved in say July and start from July which would be 4 months earlier than my expiry date and it's not cheap when you have to pay the overseas processing fee. 

Maybe apply mid September, so would come back October ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I hazard a guess if I applied next month it would be approved in say July and start from July which would be 4 months earlier than my expiry date and it's not cheap when you have to pay the overseas processing fee

On the application they state processing time minimum 6 weeks.

BTW it's also backed up for applications made in Oz at post office etc.

My pp has 3 years validity remaining.

I never understand why folk try and milk them out. 

They are valid for 10 years.

In your shoes I would apply now.

Funny how my gf applied for new Thai pp Dec 19 and arrived EMS post Dec 21.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JackGats said:

With the emergency travel document you then travel back to where you officially live in order to get a new fully-fledged passport.

Not true, you can list an itinery on an emergency travel document, if say for instance you lost your passport at the start of your holiday and were visiting a few countries

4 hours ago, Tanlic said:

I want to renew my UK Passort.

I live in the North East and have absolutely no desire to go to Bangkok.

Can anyone recommend a good agent who offers a full service.

Would it not be easier for you to go to Chiang Mai instead?

As far as agents are concerned, the services of Key Visa are used by many Brits here in LOS at passport renewal time. Google them for further info.

But this thread is, of course, primarily about the Australian passport renewal process and, as a Brit, I am green with envy about the ease and grace our Aussie cousins are faced with at passport renewal time, when compared to the bureaucratic hoops we Brits are forced to jump through - which in my case a few months ago necessitated a couple of stressful all-day trips to a rundown office building with an extremely silly name tucked down some obscure side street in Bangkok with what looked like some elevated railway running along it (although there were no obvious signs of any stations where you could actually get on and off trains). ????

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 7:12 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Can I ask how long you before your Passport expires, mine is in November, so just wondering how long I should wait before applying for the renewal online ?

I hazard a guess if I applied next month it would be approved in say July and start from July which would be 4 months earlier than my expiry date and it's not cheap when you have to pay the overseas processing fee. 

Maybe apply mid September, so would come back October ?

Just an update on Oz passport processing times.

Received an email from the Embassy on 15 June saying the application had been sent to Oz for processing.

Received it this morning so a 2 week turn around.

Also included was a letter saying the old passport has been cancelled.

Now just need to transfer stamps at my next 90 day sign on.

Plus take new passport to the bank to update.

Will wait until next year when my licence is up for renewal to update that as well.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi. This could be a dumb question but here goes.

I have just renewed my British Passport. My old one was valid yntil June 2024.

My retirement visa runs out in Jan 2024

My question is re 90 day report which I do on line.

When I next apply in October do I give my new passport number or do I use my old one?

Thanks in advance

NOTE: They say you can apply a year in advance to make sure you have your passport in time.

What they din't tell you is your new passort does not run from when your old one expires it runs from when they recieive your application

Edited by Tanlic
additional info

On 5/23/2023 at 6:02 AM, bigt3116 said:

Not true, you can list an itinery on an emergency travel document, if say for instance you lost your passport at the start of your holiday and were visiting a few countries

That depends on your country's policy, and also whether countries you plan to visit accept emergency travel documents.

Back to the original question in this thread: Thai immigration does not much care where you get your new passport. Stamp transfers will occur as and when necessary at airports and your local immigration office.

21 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

Hi. This could be a dumb question but here goes.

I have just renewed my British Passport. My old one was valid yntil June 2024.

My retirement visa runs out in Jan 2024

My question is re 90 day report which I do on line.

When I next apply in October do I give my new passport number or do I use my old one?

Thanks in advance

NOTE: They say you can apply a year in advance to make sure you have your passport in time.

What they din't tell you is your new passort does not run from when your old one expires it runs from when they recieive your application

Passport always runs from date issued - they allow early issue as many countries want at least six month validity remaining on current passport for entry so passport can be unusable for travel during last few months of validity.

Until you visit immigration and put information into new passport the old passport will be on file.  You will have to do that transfer before next extension of stay in January.

• Like 1