Aircon switching off

Celsius

I live in almost brand new condo for the past 3 years. A week ago the aircon shut down at night. The fan is working, but the cooling is not.

So my wife calls building technicians and they say this is happening a lot just switch the breaker box on and off. 

It worked, but now the switching on and off requires doing it 6-7 times every night. 

Is this an aircon or building issue?

Perhaps the condo transformers are too small and air conditioners trip off at a low voltage?  Not sure where you are but here in Bangkok (and suspect most of Thailand) temps have been at or above record levels most of the month so a lot more AC needed (and refrigerators/ice makers/freezers will all have issues keeping cool).  Things should/may/hope/pray/maybe improve soon (or later).  The world seems to be burning - and we are not exactly in the coolest area.

You need an AC technician to check.

The breaker  on/off  sounds like covering an electronic problem.

A mate had a small creeper (gecko type) burn the board.

I think they want to avoid complaints and cost.

Electronic problems usually "fixed" by replacing complete board.

Expensive.

What model is it?

Edited by KhunBENQ

We recently had a failure of one of our ACs, a Samsung model.

Shortly after starting it ended with an error E1 or E2.

For a day I could get it to work after doing the "cleaning" procedure (I had cleaned the outside unit DIY some time before).

Technician didn't find a problem and did a proper cleaning of outside and inside unit.

Works since then. Fingers crossed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps the condo transformers are too small and air conditioners trip off at a low voltage?  Not sure where you are but here in Bangkok (and suspect most of Thailand) temps have been at or above record levels most of the month so a lot more AC needed (and refrigerators/ice makers/freezers will all have issues keeping cool).  Things should/may/hope/pray/maybe improve soon (or later).  The world seems to be burning - and we are not exactly in the coolest area.

As the aircon is running but not cooling this seems not to be a problem of voltage in my opinion. I had a similar problem in the past and it was a electronic sensor problem, sensor had to be replaced.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msbkk said:

As the aircon is running but not cooling this seems not to be a problem of voltage in my opinion. I had a similar problem in the past and it was a electronic sensor problem, sensor had to be replaced.

Understood.

Why does it work right after switching off and on the breaker box?

Just some questions to clarify the issue.

-- If you do not switch the breaker on and off, does the compressor (cooling) ever turn back on by itself?

-- Is this a split unit or a single unit?

-- Has the unit been cleaned recently?

--Do they mean it is happening a lot to other rooms in the condo? Is it happening only in the last month or 2, or all along?

--Is this your aircon or it belongs to the condo (i.e., all condo aircons are the same model)

The recent hotter than usual weather can add new stresses on aircons or power systems.

Several weeks ago had 22 year old refrigerator compressor turning off due to overheat - would normally come back on few hours later but would then fail again.  Compressor was a 3 year old off name replacement but indeed the extreme heat can be causing issues so could be a compressor overheat trip that a remove/start electric resets (it sometimes did for my refrigerator).  Perhaps a good cleaning in order (AC inside/outside should be cleaned every 6-12 months in my experience - a lot of dirt gets trapped in coils),

7 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Understood.

Why does it work right after switching off and on the breaker box?

Maybe because the sensor is temporarily reset by that. A defect sensor can cause all kind of problems, like switching cooling on and off at random. I had similar problems twice, one time the cooling stopped without reason quite often (like yours) and the other aircon switched itself on and off without anyone at home. In both cases a sensor replacement fixed the problems.

As mentioned you will need an aircon company technician to check this out.

• Like 1