Haircut and Dye Gone Wrong: Outraged girls warn others about alleged 5,500 baht scam

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHIANG MAI: -- In a recent social media post, a user named "Paew Ivy" shared her experience after taking her boyfriend to a local barbershop in San Kamphaeng, Chiang Mai, where he underwent a haircut and hair dyeing session. The process took approximately two hours, and upon completion, they were presented with a bill of 5,500 Baht, leaving them astonished, reported Thai Rath.

According to the post, they had visited an ordinary barbershop in the area, not a high-end salon or anything of the sort.

Prior to the visit, they had asked their friends and learned that haircuts generally ranged from 150 to 500 Baht. With this information in mind, they proceeded to have the haircut, which lasted for two hours, including the dyeing process.

When it came time to settle the bill, the hairstylist informed them that the total cost would be 5,500 Baht.

Feeling perplexed and taken aback, the couple didn't say anything and left the shop without questioning further. However, as they were driving away, they realized they should have inquired about the price.

They decided to call the barbershop and voice their concerns but were met with indifference as the shop simply hung up on them. Although they didn't make a big fuss about it, they felt the need to share their experience on social media as a warning to others.

Following the viral post, numerous people commented, criticizing the questionable practices of the mentioned barbershop. Many others shared additional information about their own encounters, revealing similar instances of being overcharged.

One comment read, "I've taken my boyfriend to this shop too, and the haircut took a long time, around 1 to 1.5 hours. I don't remember how much we paid, maybe around 500-1,000 Baht for a single visit.

There's a shop nearby where I took my nephew for a student haircut, and it cost 500 Baht. Another shop in San Kamphaeng charged me 1,200 Baht, but they said it was a discounted price.

I got stuck there for paperwork. Is it the same shop you're talking about? If so, I had a similar experience. Haircut for a 2-year-old priced at 1,000 Baht."

The widespread response to the post highlights the need for standardized pricing and ethical practices among barbershops. The incident serves as a reminder for everyone to inquire about the cost of services before proceeding, and customers should be cautious about receiving fair treatment.

Despite their disappointment, the couple believes that if the services offered are worth the price, they are willing to pay without any issues. However, in this particular case, they feel that they were taken advantage of and received unequal treatment.

They hope their message will serve as a warning to others, and they also expect the criticized barbershop to face repercussions for their actions.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

5,500 for a haircut & color ......    absolute rip-off ...  they are just taking the p_ss ....

they should have confirmed the agreed price at the start. 

Why would they NOT "....  have discussed and confirmed the price before the session started". 

Just simple common sense!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well we can see something in common. Stupid is a Stupid does. If so many are complaining now about overpriced hair care at specific salons obviously they aren’t asking the right questions, or getting good advice from their “friends”. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

However, as they were driving away, they realized they should have inquired about the price

A tad late... forget what friends say the cost was to them.

Ask what it was going to be for you first?

Come here to Soppong, Pang Mapha.

The price is 50 THB only for the haircut. Ticket price for the Minibus from Arcade bus station in CM  is 250 THB - one way.

That means:  total price (including minibus) is below 10% of what you paid for. 2 shops have the same price. I give the barber every time 100 THB.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's interesting that they, and it seems many others, never asked for the prices up front.

Why not? Is it somehow part of Thainess that you don't ask?

If you ask up front, then there should be no surprises. It's not really that difficult to understand this simple concept. 

Might be down to fear of losing face if they have to ask the price.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

5,500 for a haircut & color ......    absolute rip-off ...  they are just taking the p_ss ....

they should have confirmed the agreed price at the start. 

I get my hair done before I fly over there. I get as many personal things completed before I go. Keep purchases down to a minimum. Like massages.

25 minutes ago, Dickie Dee said:

I get my hair done before I fly over there. I get as many personal things completed before I go. Keep purchases down to a minimum. Like massages.

It seems, not all of the zero-dollar-tourists are Chinese... ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Up here in Isaan same barber 7+ years… beginning of year he increased haircuts to 70 baht + 30 baht if you want a shave…..  yes I tip every time… 

yes ....  he appreciates your 20 baht tip every twice a year ....

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Might be down to fear of losing face if they have to ask the price.

Farangs don't lose face. Thai people does, and when they realize this they go on Fbook TT or other social media to complain.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:36 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's interesting that they, and it seems many others, never asked for the prices up front.

Why not? Is it somehow part of Thainess that you don't ask?

If you ask up front, then there should be no surprises. It's not really that difficult to understand this simple concept. 

In some Thai news the shop was actually named and reporters did go there.

He has a price list in his shop, and he charged in accordance with his price list.

Did he add the price list after this? No, a price list in his is visible in the same place on pictures on Facebook from a few years ago and on Google street view (to blurry to read the prices though)

He could have changed the price list after the Facebook post was made, to validate the prices that he charged those customers. But I guess if there was a price list showing 1000 baht, but he charged his customers 5000 baht, they would have mentioned this in their article and probably provided a picture of this price list. They didn't mention it, so I assume the price list was in accordance with what he charged, they just failed to read the price list beforehand.

Edited by FriendlyFarang