Ma Tefl From Thammasat

wasabi

I originally posted this on Ajarn.com but thought some here might be able to offer feedback.

Does anyone know much about this? I see a graduate diploma and Master's. I think I'd prefer the Master's. But I don't really know enough about each to make an educated decision. Pun not intended

Diploma

http://www.tu.ac.th/org/litu/doc_english/dipte_e.htm

Master's

http://www.tu.ac.th/org/litu/doc_english/mate_e.htm

In the admission section of the Master's there is a requirement I can't find more detail about. I have tried to email them without reply.

"3. Applicants must meet the requirements in "Number 8: Admission" of Thammasat University's Graduate School under the 1985 Master of Arts Programs Section."

I have a BA in English but I wasn't the best student. My GPA is in the low 2 range. I'm hoping this doesn't bar me from entrance. I do happen to know two visiting professors of Thammasat (Farang who are visiting at Thammasat) who study Thai at the same Thai temple as myself, so I could get a letter of recommendation from one or both if this would help my chances.

Also it says this degree has courses only offered on weekends. Under the Academic system heading, While this could allow me to work while I got my degree if I got a TEFL cert. I would rather study intensively and get the degree faster. However that's not a show stopper for me, I just wonder if other Uni's offer a faster track.

I am very interested in getting more education however I don't want to invest my time and money into a degree that wouldn't be a solid investment. Does anyone know if a Master's from Thammasat would be worth the time and money careerwise? From what I can tell the total cost for foriegners is only 170,500 Baht, quite a bargain. If that is indeed the cost than the only question that remains is it a worthwhile use of time?

I've heard the arguments that Thai degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on, but if such a degree would increase my pay and job oppurtunities proportionately to the time and money invested to obtain it in Thailand that's good enough for me.

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

<snip>

I have a BA in English but I wasn't the best student.

<snip>

such a degree would increase my pay and job oppurtunities

<snip>

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

:D ok good catch, but I hope I get some other replies.