Housemaid Remuneration

lotus eater

Have been seeing posts looking for maids. One, in BKK I think offered 6000 with food and lodging etc. Is there a big variation in salaries depending on where, experience, english speaking ability etc - for a live in maid who is going to have all food, room and household living expenses paid for?

I'll soon be needing a maid in Chiang Rai - chiefly because I don't want to leave my pets in animal 'hostels' when I go away for a bit - and also of course to do the usual chores. But there isn't a huge amount of that given that there's just my girlfriend and I, and I fully expect that the girlfriend will continue to do a lot of the work she does now, and certainly the cooking, herself.

Was wondering what the rates are in the north, and if they are different from elsewhere.

Have been seeing posts looking for maids. One, in BKK I think offered 6000 with food and lodging etc. Is there a big variation in salaries depending on where, experience, english speaking ability etc - for a live in maid who is going to have all food, room and household living expenses paid for?

I'll soon be needing a maid in Chiang Rai - chiefly because I don't want to leave my pets in animal 'hostels' when I go away for a bit - and also of course to do the usual chores. But there isn't a huge amount of that given that there's just my girlfriend and I, and I fully expect that the girlfriend will continue to do a lot of the work she does now, and certainly the cooking, herself.

Was wondering what the rates are in the north, and if they are different from elsewhere.

The average salary is 4000/month, including lunch. Most usually have their own homes to go back to. Just let them come 8 to 5, with Sundays off.Most do not speak English. Or if you can find somebody from the mountain, like Akha or Burmese etc, who do not have a place to stay, or whose home is far from town, you can probably give them 3600/month with lodging. But then you will have to face the problem like, giving them day offs(several days) to visit their family.

chiefly because I don't want to leave my pets in animal 'hostels' when I go away for a bit -

If you just want someone to look after the animals when you go away my sister in law and her husband are always looking for extra jobs, but they both work full time. If you live anywhere around the old airport they may be interested, although they have transport. I can get you in touch with them if you send me a PM.

chiefly because I don't want to leave my pets in animal 'hostels' when I go away for a bit -

If you just want someone to look after the animals when you go away my sister in law and her husband are always looking for extra jobs, but they both work full time. If you live anywhere around the old airport they may be interested, although they have transport. I can get you in touch with them if you send me a PM.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My reasons are chiefly, but not wholly, pet related, and the pets in question will be 4 cats and 3 dogs - which need more than part time attention.

But is the husband a good handyman, and if so what are his particular areas of competence? I might want some help initially while setting up my things in/and the rented house. (I'm new in CR.)

Many house holds in Chiang Rai are using hilltribe and Burmeese maids paying as low as 2000 baht a month.

Ya get what you pay for in my experience.. 2,000 baht a month will get you somebody who will work until they get something better in terms of salary. It's the same deal with Thais at 4,000 a month. You'll find workers, but very poor quality...

I pay 4,000 for the first month only, because that's what anyone is worth the first month. The second month it's 5000, then I look at them closely. Are the dependable? Are they trustworthy? Currently I have a great maid who does most everything, cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. She has been with me for 5 years, so I know her very well. She gets 10,000 a month, but she started at 4,000... I know I can leave for a month with no problem. She lives in, and doesn't get any days off, but once a month or longer, she gets a couple of days off to spend with her family. She and I are quite happy with this setup.

My advice is don't worry about how much you will pay, but worry about dependability and trustworthyness.

Ya get what you pay for in my experience.. 2,000 baht a month will get you somebody who will work until they get something better in terms of salary. It's the same deal with Thais at 4,000 a month. You'll find workers, but very poor quality...

I pay 4,000 for the first month only, because that's what anyone is worth the first month. The second month it's 5000, then I look at them closely. Are the dependable? Are they trustworthy? Currently I have a great maid who does most everything, cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. She has been with me for 5 years, so I know her very well. She gets 10,000 a month, but she started at 4,000..

Bloody hel_l , most Thai teachers in Thailand don't get paid that.

You must be getting something extra :o

I pay 4,000 for the first month only, because that's what anyone is worth the first month. The second month it's 5000, then I look at them closely. Are the dependable? Are they trustworthy? Currently I have a great maid who does most everything, cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. She has been with me for 5 years, so I know her very well. She gets 10,000 a month, but she started at 4,000..

I daresay most teachers in any country earn less than many a worker in many skilled, semi-skilled and sometimes even manual jobs.

Ajarn's is obviously an unusually good maid. Does she have basic english literacy too, I wonder. Anyway, it seems then that the range from a rough and ready maid to a jeeves in thai female guise is from 2000 to 10000 baht, plus live-in expenses/facilities.

Many thanks for the inputs - all useful to me.

Supplementary question. What's the best way to look for one? Spread the word to thais around one's house? Speak to other maids? Advertize?

Many house holds in Chiang Rai are using hilltribe and Burmeese maids paying as low as 2000 baht a month.

I pay 4,000 for the first month only, because that's what anyone is worth the first month. The second month it's 5000, then I look at them closely. Are the dependable? Are they trustworthy? Currently I have a great maid who does most everything, cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. She has been with me for 5 years, so I know her very well. She gets 10,000 a month, but she started at 4,000... I know I can leave for a month with no problem. She lives in, and doesn't get any days off, but once a month or longer, she gets a couple of days off to spend with her family. She and I are quite happy with this setup.

My advice is don't worry about how much you will pay, but worry about dependability and trustworthyness.

Why are you so generous with the time off?

it's great he does give the maid time off. why? she's human and probably likes to see her family. how else could she see them? don't you enjoy a few days off from your job?

thats called a decent employer. also that keeps the maid happy with the arrangement and she probably does a better job.

No, I'm not getting what you think. I'm getting someone who I can trust that she will do her job to the best of her ablities. When you're disabled by a stroke and can't walk or talk well, you'll wish for that too, I'm sure.

Ajarn's is obviously an unusually good maid. Does she have basic english literacy too, I wonder

No, she doesn't. But I have lived here for 22 years, so my Thai is pretty good. As for finding a good maid, it's pure luck. In past years, I've had only one other good maid.

Why are you so generous with the time off?

Because that's the way it is in Thailand. Live-in's don't get much time off. Her grown kids come to visit her here, and she's happy with that.

Edited by Ajarn

No disrespect intended and I wasn't aware of your disability.

My point was that 10,000 baht a month is an excellent salary compared with teachers, policemen and civil servants.

The fact that you get great care probably justifies the salary.

Sorry for the quip. :o

Edited by tayto

tayto, i wonder if you have answers to a few questions about these burmese maids in chiang rai (i've heard that they are good and conscientous - though for me honesty and love of animals would also be crucial.)

are these burmese maids legal? if without papers, are the risks and penalties high for employers?

is it thai or also farang households where they may be seen?

how can they been found?

as to salary, i think ajarn's method of starting at a probationary low and then going higher once they prove themselves. i'd pay above the market so as to encourage the right maid not to leave.

Burmeese maids and hilltribes are renowned as hard working,conscientous and honest. As regard the legality of Burmeese maids in Chiang Rai I wouldn't be sure and doubt if anyone would come on this forum and admit to having an illegal working for them.

There are quite a few and I doubt anyone would know or care unless you publicise it.

If you are interested in getting a maid I can get someone to get in touch with you if you let me know your requirements, ie, age, English speaking ability, cooking ability, etc.

PM me

No disrespect intended and I wasn't aware of your disability.

My point was that 10,000 baht a month is an excellent salary compared with teachers, policemen and civil servants.

The fact that you get great care probably justifies the salary.

Sorry for the quip. :o

No problem, thanks... :D

But any of the karachagans (teachers, cops, civil servants) that I know would be quite unhappy with 10,000 per month. Even though their basic salary seems low, there are the extras that increase their compensation by around 50% a month. Some get free housing, free vehicles, and extra money from outside sources, plus tax advantages, health care, etc. normally given to all karachagans. There is almost always more than the basic salary

My housekeeper gets only free housing from me.

Also, I want to add a point about hiring non-thais as workers. In years past, my (ex) wife used to hire them, too. But we stopped when we had things stolen from us and they disappeared... That is the big

disadvantage, the fact that they don't have ID, and can easily disappear from anywhere. Thais normally have family and such locally, which normally helps to keep them honest.

Edited by Ajarn

Thais normally have family and such locally, which normally helps to keep them honest.

yeah right! :o

addendum: we had a thai mai. it took 2 hours on her first day of work when she caught taking a bundle of money from my wife's handbag as well as the key to the safe. another one had a sick family member once a week and didn't show up for work.

burmese maids can be (with some financial expense) legal. costs each year 11,000 baht but i heard through the grapevine that due to stricter legislation these fees will go up in future.

Edited by Dr. Naam

Thais normally have family and such locally, which normally helps to keep them honest.

Probably not true in Pattaya, where you live...

i agree that this could be the reason.

So, are the pay and conditions down there very different from up north? Just curious?

So, are the pay and conditions down there very different from up north? Just curious?

i am sure they are different. Pattaya seems to be much more expensive than up north.

• 2 months later...
Burmeese maids and hilltribes are renowned as hard working,conscientous and honest. As regard the legality of Burmeese maids in Chiang Rai I wouldn't be sure and doubt if anyone would come on this forum and admit to having an illegal working for them.

There are quite a few and I doubt anyone would know or care unless you publicise it. If you are interested in getting a maid I can get someone to get in touch with you if you let me know your requirements, ie, age, English speaking ability, cooking ability, etc. PM me

Please excuse me for jumping in here Tayto. At present I am "Con Dio" but am in need of more of a companion - and in desperation I am more than willing to start off with a housekeeper, with the hope that if necessary, cleaning, cooking, and laundry could be worked into fulltime companionship with more in the offing with the right girl. Since I have had so many disappointments with Thai girls (especially here in CR), I have long been thinking of trying an Akkaa or other hill tribe girl, but have no contacts to look for such for me. I have had two Thai "wives" that almost worked out for me, each lasting over a year, but I now seem to be snake bit here in Chaing Rai, like it as I do otherwise. I am so disallusioned that I am thinking of going back to Phuket (I have a tiny condo there), or more probably moving to the Phillipines where I have friends who would get me grounded in short order.

I really don't understand this area vis-a-visa the ladies, as much as I like it here (one of the 2 "wives" I have had for over a year was here, and having been here only about 2 years is why my knowledge/experience in this area is limited I suppose). Though a rich man I surely am not, I give them everything they need, just not everything they want. I am kind, caring and considerate with them (maybe too much so), but firm. If you would be willing to help in this regard, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

SeeJo

Please excuse me for jumping in here Tayto. At present I am "Con Dio" but am in need of more of a companion - and in desperation I am more than willing to start off with a housekeeper, with the hope that if necessary, cleaning, cooking, and laundry could be worked into fulltime companionship with more in the offing with the right girl. Since I have had so many disappointments with Thai girls (especially here in CR),

I am so disallusioned that I am thinking of going back to Phuket (I have a tiny condo there), or more probably moving to the Phillipines where I have friends who would get me grounded in short order.

SeeJo

This is simply not true. At not in ANY of the places I have lived in my humble 6 years in the "Land of Smiles that Mask their Real Feelings for Farangs" (Phuket, Petchabun, KoSamui, Chiang Rai, Bangkok, etc.). End of story, period.

FACT: Thais (all of them) DON'T LIKE US - ANY OF US - only the money they mistakenly thing we ALL have and can slick us out of. Given time and your confidence in them (ten years in the case of a friend of mine), they will systematically and gleefully rob you of your last penny. There are exceptions for a pittiful few Thai women (none for Thai men) who have a genuine open mind and who would just like to experience what it would be like to live with, have sex with, interact in all ways with a Farang using a truly open mind and an objective thought process (dam*ed few to be found!) - "one in one thousand"?? NO!! More like one in one Million!!!. Now CHEW ON THAT AND SEE IF YOU CAN SHOOT IT DOWN IN TRUTH AND GOOD CONSCIENCE! Now legitimately, and with thoughtful common sense I do hope, can make reply if you want. I await to be enlightend with "proof in the pud", and I may or may not reply - my option. It will take some doing to shake me off my and all my friends' hard earned experience. And no anecdotes please, because the story has yet to play out......... As the song in the famous English musical said: "Just you waait!".

SeeJo

I think everyone can see the connection except you dear SeeJo!

Good Luck in the Phillipines

:o:D:D

Please excuse me for jumping in here Tayto. At present I am "Con Dio" but am in need of more of a companion - and in desperation I am more than willing to start off with a housekeeper, with the hope that if necessary, cleaning, cooking, and laundry could be worked into fulltime companionship with more in the offing with the right girl. Since I have had so many disappointments with Thai girls (especially here in CR),

I am so disallusioned that I am thinking of going back to Phuket (I have a tiny condo there), or more probably moving to the Phillipines where I have friends who would get me grounded in short order.

SeeJo

This is simply not true. At not in ANY of the places I have lived in my humble 6 years in the "Land of Smiles that Mask their Real Feelings for Farangs" (Phuket, Petchabun, KoSamui, Chiang Rai, Bangkok, etc.). End of story, period.

FACT: Thais (all of them) DON'T LIKE US - ANY OF US - only the money they mistakenly thing we ALL have and can slick us out of. Given time and your confidence in them (ten years in the case of a friend of mine), they will systematically and gleefully rob you of your last penny. There are exceptions for a pittiful few Thai women (none for Thai men) who have a genuine open mind and who would just like to experience what it would be like to live with, have sex with, interact in all ways with a Farang using a truly open mind and an objective thought process (dam*ed few to be found!) - "one in one thousand"?? NO!! More like one in one Million!!!. Now CHEW ON THAT AND SEE IF YOU CAN SHOOT IT DOWN IN TRUTH AND GOOD CONSCIENCE! Now legitimately, and with thoughtful common sense I do hope, can make reply if you want. I await to be enlightend with "proof in the pud", and I may or may not reply - my option. It will take some doing to shake me off my and all my friends' hard earned experience. And no anecdotes please, because the story has yet to play out......... As the song in the famous English musical said: "Just you waait!".

SeeJo

I think everyone can see the connection except you dear SeeJo!

Good Luck in the Phillipines

:D:D:D

I`ll miss your trolls when your gone Seejo,

See you, so long Seejo.

P,S, my guess is your avatar is in fact your own likeness. :o