what is the best way to extend a concrete pole fence

jumbo

Have a fence with concrete precast poles 10 x10 . 2 meter long of which 1 meter in concrete so very sturdy, 2.50 meter apart

I want to extend them

I guess buying similar poles and fixing them to the existing pole would be a solution

But are there extenders for this??? Or what would be an easier or better solution?

thnaks

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

Have a fence with concrete precast poles 10 x10 . 2 meter long of which 1 meter in concrete so very sturdy, 2.50 meter apart

I want to extend them

I guess buying similar poles and fixing them to the existing pole would be a solution

That is the only way to do the job apart from replacing the posts with taller ones.

• Haha 1

Thanks

I cant' find extenders so I will need to drill them together? Some cement glue and bolts or screws..

I think zip fasteners through existing holes will not have the longevity?

I think most precast poles have holes every 200mm for the purpose of securing fence wire.

So said holes could be used to simply bolt on other posts to make it higher. I.e. 2m.

20mm/3/4" square steel tube bolted into said holes using expanding anchors.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Just replace the poles with the size you want. Your idea of fixing two poles together will not work. 

Why not the holes will line up.???? Asking for a friend.

But yes, we do need a photograph for aesthetic reasons.

Edited by VocalNeal

The problem is that the old posts may not be in that deep and could be made without any reinforcing in them. So if you extend the height, in high winds it may snap or topple over.

Old style fence concrete posts used to have holes in them for wire but you use could also use them to fix timber to. The modern ones have to be drilled which can cause them to shatter

I would probably be inclined to pull them out and fit new ones

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/extending-concrete-fence-posts-to-add-trellis.208173/

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Depends really on position and purpose as to the best easiest way.

Middle of a field, start again, perimeter  fence to adjoining property you could use a steel extention fixed to concrete existing post. A sleeve over and re-pour as suggested is also a nice finish.

Application and position  and cosmetics will dictate the deal method.

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Why not the holes will line up.???? Asking for a friend.

But yes, we do need a photograph for aesthetic reasons.

About the only way it would work, would be to make a metal sleeve about 60cm long with holes drilled to line up with the holes on the poles. But it would look awful.

Besides the actual cost of replacing the poles for the size wanted wanted would not cost the earth. 

If the OP is thinking of bolting the poles to the side of the existing poles. I doubt the existing poles would support the weight. And would look equally awful.  

On 5/28/2023 at 11:44 AM, CharlieKo said:

Just replace the poles with the size you want. Your idea of fixing two poles together will not work. 

The existing poles are poured in to cement/concrete, little hard to dig them out

The part that would look ugly, where I attached the 2 poles, cant be seen as we are adding earth to the land.

One meter in earth, consisting of top of old pole and bottom of new pole, and then 2 meter 'new poles' 

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

The existing poles are poured in to cement/concrete, little hard to dig them out

The part that would look ugly, where I attached the 2 poles, cant be seen as we are adding earth to the land.

One meter in earth, consisting of top of old pole and bottom of new pole, and then 2 meter 'new poles' 

Keeping the relevant details to yourself when asking questions is rather bad form, to say the least, it means that the answers cannot actually address the situation 

You haven’t given any information about the current poles. If they are the standard precast poles then the reinforcement is likely 3mm, if so then they can hold up on compression but are useless against a bending force of any reasonable amount. So however you join the poles they have a good chance of snapping the shorter ones, this will be even more likely if the shorter ones are using the minimum cement and the concrete has been mixed with too much water (this is extremely likely as you can get a smoother look, but only ¼ or less of the possible strength)

TLDR only you know the details so advise given has not got enough detail.
Best advice is bite the bullet and dig the old posts out.

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

What about the otherside finish look of the fence once you infill the ground.

10 hours ago, jumbo said:

So break off the old posts without digging out the foundation, and start over from scratch. Your idea is going from bad to worse.

Remember you have to allow the new earth to settle trough the rainy season.

Edited by CharlieKo

On 5/30/2023 at 8:45 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Keeping the relevant details to yourself when asking questions is rather bad form, to say the least, it means that the answers cannot actually address the situation 

You haven’t given any information about the current poles. If they are the standard precast poles then the reinforcement is likely 3mm, if so then they can hold up on compression but are useless against a bending force of any reasonable amount. So however you join the poles they have a good chance of snapping the shorter ones, this will be even more likely if the shorter ones are using the minimum cement and the concrete has been mixed with too much water (this is extremely likely as you can get a smoother look, but only ¼ or less of the possible strength)

TLDR only you know the details so advise given has not got enough detail.
Best advice is bite the bullet and dig the old posts out.

My apologies, it was not done on purpose.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:42 AM, Kwasaki said:

What about the otherside finish look of the fence once you infill the ground.

That is another thing I didnot discuss yet. Currently the fence pole is 2.50 of which half in concrete base. The other half to which I want to connect the new pole of 3 meter will be under the ground when I have leveled the earth with which we increased/heightened the land.  Then the double pole would show just a tiny fraction of itself. And this will be covered with cowboy fence and plants.   We have no neighbors, on either side,  so the other side is not an issue, but taken care of anyway

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

My apologies, it was not done on purpose.

No apology required, for future reference if you give every detail possible it is unlikely to be too much, things that seem obvious and unnecessary to mention probably are relevant. A point to remember is that you probably need to explain it as if the audience is blind, we actually are because we can’t see what you can see and have no knowledge of your intended plans.

Since the point at which you intend to join the two poles will be buried my personal choice would be to use a section of concrete pipe (probably a meter or meter and a half) around the two posts and fill that with concrete as well as bolting the posts together, this will provide reinforcement to the original post and the connection along with reducing the bending force on the original posts, I have used this as a decorative accent for some of our building 

Edited by sometimewoodworker