Hydrogen Breath Test for IBS

stubuzz

Several years ago, the doctor gave me x rays and it showed inflamed stomach lining and duodentis. Now, I suffer from IBS-D which comes and goes, so i am looking to get a Hydrogen breath test to confirm my issues.

Has anybody done this here?

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Only a handful of places here can do it as it requires special equipment and training.

Bumrungrad does it and so does Bangkok Hospital (Bangkok branch).

9,500 baht at Bangkok Hosp. Bumrungrad won't be less, might be more.

Thanks

You might wish to consider a full SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) test. There is hydrogen AND there is methane and you really want to test for both. I don't know where in Thailand does such testing but Googling "SIBO test Thailand" should produce results.

Also, consider looking in to Candida as the systems are very similar and there is a lot of overlap in the symptoms of IBS, SIBO and Candida. Many people have SIBO and Candida.

SIBO is a sod to get rid of. Most doctors prescribe an antibiotic but that is often not enough as it comes back due to the root cause not being determined. Sluggish liver / gallbladder, low stomach acid, poor motility are just some of the possible root causes.

Good luck on getting tested.

On 5/28/2023 at 5:51 PM, mstevens said:

Also, consider looking in to Candida as the systems are very similar and there is a lot of overlap in the symptoms of IBS, SIBO and Candida

My local lab offers a stool antigen test for H.Pylori for 400bt. @SherylDo you know what test i need for candida? Google gives a stool yeast test.

I would like to test these before i visit the hospital for medication.

29 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

My local lab offers a stool antigen test for H.Pylori for 400bt. @SherylDo you know what test i need for candida? Google gives a stool yeast test.

I would like to test these before i visit the hospital for medication.

The test generally regarded as the best for Candida is the OATS test (organic acids). I am unaware of it being offered in Thailand, unfortunately. It is a VERY comprehensive test which also shows bacterial issues, oxalate issues and even mould. It's not cheap but it is the gold standard.