15-Year-Old Motorcyclist in Pattaya Dies in Accident While Driving Home in the Rain

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A 15-year-old motorcyclist died in a tragic accident while driving home in the rain in the small hours of this morning, May 30th.

The accident was reported to Pattaya Police at 02:20 AM today. The police and Sawang Boriboon rescuers rushed to Sukhumvit Road in the Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung District, Chonburi province, to help the young victim reported to have crashed his motorbike.

At the scene of the accident, authorities found a red Scoopy i motorbike with a broken frontal part on the road. A short distance from the vehicle was a young male Thai teenager lying face-down in a pool of blood. He had suffered serious head injuries and was pronounced dead at the site by Pattaya Police.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/05/30/15-year-old-motorcyclist-in-pattaya-dies-in-accident-while-driving-home-in-the-rain/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-05-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Al BB said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In this case which law is it that you are aware of that the police did not enforce causing his death?

Motorbike drivers and their passengers are required by law to wear helmets. A survey conducted by the Thailand Accident Research Center in 2009 found that out of the 3,757 motorbike drivers and passengers surveyed, 15% were unaware that passengers must wear helmets and 32% did not wear helmets while riding as passengers. The payment for breaking helmet laws depends on the authorized officer issuing the fine, but is usually between 500-1000 baht. 

Quoted from Thailand Law Forum if that helps.

No, it does not "help" but then I didn't need any help as I already know what the helmet laws are.   

You seem to be  assuming that, in this particular case that I was asking about, the helmet law hadn't been enforced or that the boy wasn't wearing a helmet.  Where did you get that information from?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3

When I read about tragedies like this it just screams out about the lack of basic education and parenting skills.
Many years ago when I was associated with a local school, I made a PPT about road safety with some graphic photos of sustained injuries and deaths.
The attending students just laughed, even though a few weeks previous two of their fellow students were crushed under a 10 wheeler!

People keep saying that the police are at fault for not enforcing the law but how can they if they aren't allowed to be forceful, like confiscation of motorbikes etc. No use increasing fines because the public can't or won't pay, regardless of consequences. The whole culture attitude has to change,  before we will see any improvements in road safety. Don't hold your breath!    

• Like 2

I saw a serious motorbike accident yesterday on Sukhumvit Road near the Laem Chabang Expressway junction, where they have recently completed construction of the overpass.

In fact, more often than not, when I am on my way to work or back I see the aftermath of serious accidents. 

Lost count of the near misses I see daily.

Two days ago, there was an accident involving a large truck at the RongPo intersection that had traffic jammed up at the lights for hours. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I saw a serious motorbike accident yesterday on Sukhumvit Road near the Laem Chabang Expressway junction, where they have recently completed construction of the overpass.

Quite a frequent sighting if one drives around a lot....bike and Thai man on the ground about 1pm on Paniad Chang yesterday, near the #7 alley.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Firstly Pattaya News yes the age is 15 for a M/C BUT only up to 110cc which you failed to make clear in your report. :coffee1:

although this Scoopy was legal for him to drive, others may not be aware of this law. just saying.

Edited by brianthainess

You missed the point, He was only 15, did he have a licence to drive, I understand the law states a student of 15 can pass the test and is allowed to drive a scooter 110cc to attend school and return home. not out and about at 2am.  Thailand implemented a curfew in 2007 prohibiting teenagers aged 18 and below especially in Bangkok from leaving their homes after 10pm without justified reasons. Teenagers that were not able to provide justifications for being out after 10pm would be taken to the police stations until their parents pick them up. My own daughter is 18 years old and we insist that she comes home by 11pm, except on the days she has a part-time job at a restaurant, and then one of us stays up and waits for her return, plus checking with live360.com where on her journey home she is.

Edited by phetpeter