Phuket set to be a new model for food waste disposal

webfact

image.jpeg

With the Phuket tourism industry well on the way to recovery and aiming to welcome 12 million tourist arrivals this year, the problem of food waste is seen as an increasingly critical issue. In an effort to reduce that waste, the Thai Organic Consumer Association (TOCA) is working with hotels in Phuket to initiate a food waste composting system, which is in line with the BCG (Bio-Circular-Green Economic Model).

About one-third of all food produced for human consumption in the world goes to waste, according to a study commissioned by the United Nations food agency. That is shocking enough in itself, but what most people don’t realise are the enormous impacts all that waste has on climate change, food insecurity, and human health. If food waste goes to landfills and rots, it produces a huge amount of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and can also spread viruses and diseases.

Arrut Navaraj, founder and president of TOCA, revealed that now it has developed a blockchain-based ecosystem connecting consumers including travellers, restaurants and hotels to a network of certified organic farmers throughout the country that meet bests practices in food and sustainability, TOCA is aiming to expand its e-commerce platform to cover food waste which will be composted to become organic fertilizer for farmers.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-set-to-be-a-new-model-for-food-waste-disposal/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Great,

more Greenhouse gasses due to composting..

I'll take my share if the Government wants me to build a BSF Farm.

Since Fish meal skyrocketed from 240 to 2200 USD per MT, because of the overfishing around South America the BSF is becoming a new interest.

BSF (Hermetia Illuciens or Black Soldier Fly) has gained the first approvals for lifestock food, which can be the substitute for fish meal.

An they don't create Greenhouse gasses like huge compost factories do...   

Well, it takes a lot more than above stated with these picky little flies but a trial of 5 years in my backyard was more than promising..

They went easy through 15-20 Kilo Bio waste per day and outstarved themselves 8 times in these 5 years where I could not gather enough waste... 

The BSF composter was made of 3 blue barrels at the end.. 

Unfortunately they produced beside frass (their poop) also liquid that needed to be dilluted by 1000:1 to be good as (a top) fertilizer.

My Backyard was not big enough for this and at the end even my neighbors could not fertilize more as their Gardens turned into thick jungles LOL. 

But the outcome of this trial was the concept of a 10.000 sqm Hall and other 5.000 sqm Fly cages and breeding habitat which could get rid of 1.500.000 Kilo bio waste per day, without farting just the smallest amount of greenhouse gasses into the air..

Lovely little critters they are... 

Edited by Reginald Prewster
typo
  • Like 1