School defends haircuts policy after social media uproar in Thailand

snoop1130

ตัดผมนักเรียน.jpg

A Thai school has explained a controversial video showing teachers giving male students haircuts during a boy scout uniform inspection. The school in the northern Phayao province detailed the measures taken and defended the hair-cutting policy following fierce online criticism.

The video clip from a school in Phayao stirred up controversy on social media as it portrayed teachers cutting male students’ hair during a boy scout uniform inspection earlier this month. Yongyut Tonboon, a mathematics teacher, said the school had announced in advance that some students would get haircuts during the inspection. The school used a number three clipper to trim the hair of willing students, while those not interested had the option to get their hair cut at a salon.

Witthawat Wangkachai, a representative of the student’s guardians, explained that the haircut policy was beneficial for the students. The school had discussed the haircut measures with parents on orientation day and signed a memorandum of understanding, allowing the school to act as guardians for the students.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo from Facebook

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/northern-thailand/school-defends-haircuts-policy-after-social-media-uproar-in-thai-province

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Witthawat Wangkachai, a representative of the student’s guardians, explained that the haircut policy was beneficial for the students.

It might be more beneficial for the students if the system would be reformed and lifted to international standards.

A haircut and the ability to sing the national anthem seems to be not enough.

Thank god, I sent my son to a good, but badly overprized private school since he reached the age for kindergarden.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a 'MY body ... My choice' person, even minors.

Apparently many, in control, don't agree in the 21st Century.  Especially 3rd world countries, and why they'll always be.

To topic, if private school, you chose it, so follow their rules, if having.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The school used a number three clipper to trim the hair of willing students, while those not interested had the option to get their hair cut at a salon.

' willing students '     and others had the option to go to a shop outside.   I don't really see anything wrong with this request . 

• Thumbs Up 1

If I remember correctly didnt they ban or remove school rights from cutting hair over a year or two ago. I guess it doesn't apply to every school. 

Having parents sign a MOU giving the school gardianship of students is absurd and I would guess most parent don't know what that could mean

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the haircut policy was beneficial for the students

hypocrite

the only benefactor of control mechanisms for body, mind and soul is the entrenched establishment which designed, installed and defends it