Asia hotting up, alcohol ban Saturday, digital nomad survey : Tim Newton Today - June 2

webfact

screenshot_19966.jpg

An alcohol-free Buddhist holiday on Saturday with a day off on Monday, pub raid in Phuket sidelines five senior police, hottest weather in parts of Asia, records broken around the region, Thailand ranks #3 in the world for digital nomads, electricity bills drop, Senators wary of the new Move Forward Party.

Newton Today is a daily take on Thai and regional news and issues of interest to expats and foreign tourists.

With thanks to our sponsor 5 Star Marine in Phuket for premium, private charters.  Click on this link for a special offer for TNT viewers... 
https://5starmarinephuket.com/tim/

• Sad 1

Just curious. 

About the alcohol ban. 

Does it strictly start at midnight today? I mean, are venues that have the licence to operate till 2 am able to sell alcoholic drinks till 2 ? 

1 more thing. I think only very few countries have something called 'compensation day', right? And, so, workers in Thailand are lucky in that aspect. In most countries, if a holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday, tough luck. You don't get Monday as the compensation day off. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Just curious. 

About the alcohol ban. 

Does it strictly start at midnight today? I mean, are venues that have the licence to operate till 2 am able to sell alcoholic drinks till 2 ? 

1 more thing. I think only very few countries have something called 'compensation day', right? And, so, workers in Thailand are lucky in that aspect. In most countries, if a holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday, tough luck. You don't get Monday as the compensation day off. 

Alcohol ban is alcohol ban and has nothing to do with a licence. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Just curious. 

About the alcohol ban. 

Which countries don't get an extra weekday off if a major holiday falls on a weekend.

The UK definitely get an extra day. 

Edited by roo860

3 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

So, you claim that no place, not even a dance club that stays open till 2, can sell drinks past midnight. Well, my guess was like that too. But I wasn't sure. 

1 minute ago, JemJem said:

Would you care to expand on it and say which part of what I wrote is nonsense?? Being ambiguous is not helpful at all. 

Edited a few minutes ago

Well, I have just now tried to find a list of countries that have such a day off, via Google now. No success. But, I still think the majority doesn't have it. 

My country, Turkey, doesn't. Sometimes, the government does this : If one of the 2 mqjor religious holidays falls on, say, Tuesday - Wednesday-Thursday (because one of them is normally a 3-day holiday), then they declare Friday to be a holiday too, so that workers can have many days off, including the weekend. But, it is not the same thing as compensation day. We don't have like that. 

54 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Which countries don't get an extra weekday off if a major holiday falls on a weekend.

The UK definitely get an extra day. 

In Italy there isn't an extra day off, but you get paid to compesate

2 hours ago, JemJem said:

Just curious. 

About the alcohol ban. 

Starts midnight tonight........

Monday is public holiday in lieu

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but it is not an alcohol ban - it is a ban on the sale of alcohol on that day. There is nothing to prevent you drinking (previously acquired) alcohol.

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but it is not an alcohol ban - it is a ban on the sale of alcohol on that day. There is nothing to prevent you drinking (previously acquired) alcohol.

No, Buddha will punish you ????????????. Of course you can drink at home until you are dead ????????????

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes, that's just what tourists to a holiday destination do, plan around Thailand's half a billion yearly public holidays

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, that's just what tourists to a holiday destination do, plan around Thailand's half a billion yearly public holidays

Don't get your meaning here... there are just 3 or so alcohol free religious holidays each year. I already bought some in, at 9.30 am, already  chilled. 

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

No, Buddha will punish you ????????????. Of course you can drink at home until you are dead ????????????

LOL…..When I had a restaurant the local police determined that Buddha considered that by 6pm I had shown sufficient respect and we could start selling alcohol again.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

In my days as a tourist I never went without a drink if I wanted one.

Does that make me smarter than your perception of the average tourist?

Please don’t construe these comments as support for these ridiculous blanket bans on alcohol sales. They are not, in a grown up world grown ups should have the right to decide whether to imbibe or not - whether on religious grounds or any other. In any event tourist areas should be exempt….not just (some) hotels.

Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket should have designated tourist areas where all the rules pertaining the purchasing of alcohol are the same as normal. Thais can still observe their holidays and can profit from the farangs who frequent their bars or shops. Do these rules apply to cannabis too?