Alzheimer’s-stricken driver saved by police, son hits brakes on car ownership

snoop1130

350651277_286345170416416_1019980673555270981_n.jpg

Police rescued a 73 year old Thai man suffering from Alzheimer‘s disease after he drove his sedan for over 100 kilometres and got lost. His son now plans to sell the car to prevent his father from danger.

Nithinan Sornsawat took to social media to search for his missing 73 year old father, Jong Sornsawat. The 43 year old explained that his father drove his red Toyota sedan from his home in Saraburi at 9am on Monday, May 29 to buy some spare parts for a motorcycle at a market but failed to return. Nithinan contacted Kaeng Koi Police Station for help.

Thai netizens and police officers searched for Jong until an officer from Pra Jantakarm Police Station discovered Jong parked on the roadside in Prachin Buri province at 2pm on Tuesday, May 30. The officer recorded a video when meeting with Jong and posted it on social media. The officer said in the video…

“It is so far! You drove from Saraburi to Prachin Buri. I will buy food for you. Calm down. Don’t worry. I contacted your son already. He will pick you back home.

Jong responded to the police saying…

“I came by myself, but I could not find a way back home. I forgot.”

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Facebook/ กองสารนิเทศ สำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติ

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/alzheimers-stricken-driver-saved-by-police-son-hits-brakes-on-car-ownership-video

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tragic. Alzheimers. Same happened to a very dear, now deceased, Swedish friend of mine.He was driving in Stockholm and lost the ability to drive.Didn't know where he was what to do etc. Sudden and immediate.His wife and  daughter were with him so his daughter  took over and got them home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

<deleted>... I forgot what I was going to write.

It isn't funny. The old man could easily have had an accident and killed somebody.

I had a blackout 3 months ago at age 78, woke up sometime later, not knowing where I was, what the day or time was. 

I spent 3 days in hospital and quit driving when I realised what had happened to me. Of course, I could have ignored the warning signs and carried on driving and could easily have had an accident and killed somebody.

Then I would have been the point of the post with people asking why I kept driving.

• Like 2