June 2023 Status of Ban Phu Nam Ron Border Crossing for Border Bounce

Is the Ban Phu Nam Ron Border Crossing open for individual/personal traffic for 90 day border bounces for Non-O visa holders?  My trip requirement is still a few weeks away, but plans need to be made now, especially if it's not open.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Where are you located.

image.png.8d3f75df5ec0e2a3605dbb76daed378b.png

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, if you are located in Bangkok then 90min flight to Saigon is an option.

Moreso if your passport allows for visa exempt entry.

You could bounce straight back or make a mini holiday..

DrJack, I know you read a lot of qrap on here, but I specifically said "border bounce" and in the body specified for a "Non-O visa holder".  
Keep at it. You've helped many.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

but I specifically said "border bounce" and in the body specified for a "Non-O visa holder".  

Next time perhaps add ME Non O .

In any event, in another of your past threads you mentioned hate of minivans and even buses.

In that thread think you mentioned plan to hire a car.

You could consider flight BKK to Udon Thani and step over border at Nong Khai.

You have options.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is still closed. From Pathum Thani, one option might be to fly from Don Muang to Ubon and do the border bounce at Chong Mek.

Ok, Thank you, @BritTim.  It will  be a long day, but I think you've put me on the right track. (I just have to get up super early) ???? The air Fare is only 1718 baht, evisa another 1717 and a rent car less than 800 baht.  What am I missing???

OR: as DrJack has suggested Udon Thani and then up to Nong Khai. Thank you both.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

36 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

......has suggested Udon Thani and then up to Nong Khai. Thank you both.

It's not clear if you hope to do this in the quickest time possible.

The flight option to Udon Thani could include option of first night stay in Udon Thani in nice bar area next to central plaza. 

The next day minivan to friendship bridge. One hour flat straight rd.

Even quicker is to hook up mini van from Udon airport and direct to Nong Khai.

Can be done in one day.

Realize you are not interested in the Saigon option however just for others reading....it would certainly be my go to option for multi entry non O .

Especially for folk that don't require visa for Vietnam.

Obviously most of EU and also UK. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Ok, Thank you, @BritTim.  It will  be a long day, but I think you've put me on the right track. (I just have to get up super early) ???? The air Fare is only 1718 baht, evisa another 1717 and a rent car less than 800 baht.  What am I missing???

OR: as DrJack has suggested Udon Thani and then up to Nong Khai. Thank you both.

Be careful! The Lao e-visa is not useable at all crossing points. I believe Chong Mek is one of the crossings where it is cannot be used. An alternative to the Lao e-visa is a visa on arrival. If you have clean, undamaged US dollars this actually saves you about 300 baht but takes up more space in your passport.

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

evisa another 1717

You can't use a Lao eVisa at the Chong Mek land border crossing.

You can get a Lao visa on arrival there, it's a quick and easy process but costs you an entire visa page of your passport.

Personally, I wouldn't go there for a border bounce coming from the Bangkok area, but if you're interested in spending some time in Pakse or on the Bolaven Plateau, you can consider it.

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I wouldn't go there for a border bounce coming from the Bangkok area, but if you're interested in spending some time in Pakse or on the Bolaven Plateau, you can consider it.

If Ban Phu Nam Ron or Mae Sot was open, I would recommend going there. He is to the North of Bangkok, and dislikes vans and buses. That suggests going somewhere close to a border by air from Don Muang. There are no great options, assuming you would not recommend Aranyaprathet/Poipet.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If Ban Phu Nam Ron or Mae Sot was open, I would recommend going there. He is to the North of Bangkok, and dislikes vans and buses. That suggests going somewhere close to a border by air from Don Muang. There are no great options, assuming you would not recommend Aranyaprathet/Poipet.

Why not go to Nong Khai as @DrJack54 suggested already?

He can use the Lao eVisa on the Friendship Bridge 1, there are more flights from Don Mueang to Udon than to Ubon, and transport to the border is more frequent as well.

Chong Mek is an obscure little border post, hardly on anyone's map who doesn't want to travel in Southern Laos 

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Why not go to Nong Khai as @DrJack54 suggested already?

He can use the Lao eVisa on the Friendship Bridge 1, there are more flights from Don Mueang to Udon than to Ubon, and transport to the border is more frequent as well.

Chong Mek is an obscure little border post, hardly on anyone's map who doesn't want to travel in Southern Laos 

If you want to use a Lao e-visa, obviously Nong Khai is a better option. On your other points, it is the very fact that Chong Mek is a relatively quiet, walkable crossing that makes me suggest it. I have used both Chong Mek and Nong Khai on multiple occasions, and find Chong Mek much less of a zoo. In the end, though, either option should work out. Maybe, there are more flights to Udon, but there are about seven a day from Don Muang to Ubon. Travel from Ubon airport to Chong Mek is not a major challenge (though I might choose Udon Thani if keen on public vans).

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you want to use a Lao e-visa, obviously Nong Khai is a better option. On your other points, it is the very fact that Chong Mek is a relatively quiet, walkable crossing that makes me suggest it. I have used both Chong Mek and Nong Khai on multiple occasions, and find Chong Mek much less of a zoo. In the end, though, either option should work out. Maybe, there are more flights to Udon, but there are about seven a day from Don Muang to Ubon. Travel from Ubon airport to Chong Mek is not a major challenge (though I might choose Udon Thani if keen on public vans).

I agree on the "zoo" aspect. As the OP seems to dislike using vans, getting a private car to the border would be an option in both cases, at similar cost.

Ultimately, as you said, both would work. 

Is Mae Sot/Myawaddy open? Is there still a flight to there, or maybe perhaps to Tak?

Good thing is you would only get 4 exit and entry stamps. Getting full page visas for elsewhere can quickly fill your PP in no time.

14 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Is Mae Sot/Myawaddy open? Is there still a flight to there, or maybe perhaps to Tak?

Good thing is you would only get 4 exit and entry stamps. Getting full page visas for elsewhere can quickly fill your PP in no time.

Unfortunately, Mae Sot has closed again since Songran because of fighting near Myawaddy. The Nok Air flights to Mae Sot airport (near the border) still exist, but are of academic interest right now.

• Thanks 1