Chris Christie's long-shot mission to torpedo Trump in 2024

Social Media

As former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie enters the 2024 race for the White House, he has one mission: to torpedo Donald Trump's campaign. But his low popularity among Republicans may thwart his efforts to launch a head-on attack.

Seven years ago, his failed bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination featured debate-stage fireworks, disappointing voting results and a surprisingly early endorsement of Mr Trump.

Now, Mr Christie will need to take the current front-runner down a peg and then position himself as the one who can win.

"A lot of people are going to be gunning for Trump," says Republican strategist and former party communication director Doug Heye. "There's going to be a battle royal where everybody's trying to throw Andre the Giant out of the ring."

If that happens, he says, then the whole leadership race would be reset.

Mr Christie formally filed the paperwork for his White House bid on Tuesday, but the brash New Jerseyan starts this campaign from the back of the presidential pack.

49 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I would vote for him as an Independent. He has been called a RINO but that is because he no longer supports Trump. Growing numbers are all thinking inditement might be the trick to get some new younger blood on board.

Gotta say I like big Chris too. He is very sharp, has a New Jersey bulldog kind of personality. I just dont see what his constituency is.  As I have said before, my dream is Christie/Kristi for the win. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Gotta say I like big Chris too. He is very sharp, has a New Jersey bulldog kind of personality. I just dont see what his constituency is.  As I have said before, my dream is Christie/Kristi for the win. 

I remember that (a) hole engineering a major traffic jam to try and disrupt his rival during an election inconvenienced a lot of people a deal slimy dude perfect guy to slug it out with trump

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If nominated he would blow Uncle Joe out of the water.

But maga fascist party is too stupid to nominate him.

I think any moderate republican would garner independent and centralist republican, these days called RINO, votes. But atm it looks unlikely a candidate like that would be able to get the republican nomination.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If nominated he would blow Uncle Joe out of the water.

But maga fascist party is too stupid to nominate him.

I think that's no longer the conventional wisdom only because the average voter can no longer differentiate MAGA from the rest of the Republican party. If the Republicans lose the presidency and the house again it's old over for the GOP for decades.

Christie is the value candidate.  He weighs twice as much as half the people in New Jersey.  He is so fat that it's like having two people on the same ballot.

Penny for penny, pound for pound you get more candidate when you vote Christie!

Really though, IMO he doesn't have a chance.  If US voters want more of an abrasive NY/NJ type they would re-elect the orange guy.

So many variables! Whats he bring to the table? More of the same politics of the last 60 years!

The Gop primary’s go through America First supporters !That being said he has a snowballs chance ……

7 hours ago, riclag said:

So many variables! Whats he bring to the table? More of the same politics of the last 60 years!

The Gop primary’s go through America First supporters !That being said he has a snowballs chance ……

I watched him a bit today he wiped the floor with trump and his corrupt kids it was nice to hear a Republican speak the truth about trump and family an absolute delight!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, riclag said:

That's right, he has near zero chance of getting the nomination.  Which means he has nothing to lose.  He'll spend all of his campaign going after Trump.  And he knows Trump better than anybody.  If I was Trump, the last person I'd want to debate is Chris Christie.  Trump would get stomped.   

19 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

That's right, he has near zero chance of getting the nomination.  Which means he has nothing to lose.  He'll spend all of his campaign going after Trump.  And he knows Trump better than anybody.  If I was Trump, the last person I'd want to debate is Chris Christie.  Trump would get stomped.   

Just remember how he made Marco Rubio look like a fool in 2016...  Christie helped Trump doing debate prep in the 2020 campaign. From what I have heard in Christie interviews, Trump was not a good student.  Christie may not get the nomination, but he can do a "murder suicide" like he did on Rubio and clear the field for someone else. Then get rewarded as VP or perhaps Attorney General.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, gargamon said:

And in the general those selected by AF don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected in a majority. 

Probably. Hopefully. But DeSantis is a maga fascist but I think if nominated he has a chance of fooling enough people. 

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Just remember how he made Marco Rubio look like a fool in 2016...  Christie helped Trump doing debate prep in the 2020 campaign. From what I have heard in Christie interviews, Trump was not a good student.  Christie may not get the nomination, but he can do a "murder suicide" like he did on Rubio and clear the field for someone else. Then get rewarded as VP or perhaps Attorney General.

Christie is doing a public service, like Liz Cheney.

But heck, if Trump world falls apart and he's convicted on multiple felonies, who knows, Christie might still have a small chance.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Christie is doing a public service, like Liz Cheney.

But heck, if Trump world falls apart and he's convicted on multiple felonies, who knows, Christie might still have a small chance.

Not a bad outcome. For me, keeping Biden/Harris/Trump ALL far from the White House is the best possible outcome.  Hopefully with a principled and decent conservative in their place.

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Not a bad outcome. For me, keeping Biden/Harris/Trump ALL far from the White House is the best possible outcome.  Hopefully with a principled and decent conservative in their place.

I wouldn't be happy if even a non maga fascist republican wins but that would be a normal outcome in a democracy and not the existential threat to democracy that the maga fascists represent. So I could tolerate Christie as president and I'm sure those key suburban white women will vote for him, another reason Biden is toast if the Rs nominate Christie.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't be happy if even a non maga fascist republican wins but that would be a normal outcome in a democracy and not the existential threat to democracy that the maga fascists represent. So I could tolerate Christie as president and I'm sure those key suburban white women will vote for him, another reason Biden is toast if the Rs nominate Christie.

Curious, how do you see the rest of the candidates? Which are palatable... I saw Senator Scott on TV (The View) and he handled himself very well.  Showed grace and character when he was being needled by the harpies.   To be honest I am not sold on DeSantis at all. Ramaswamy is a sharp guy but really too young,  he is probably angling for a cabinet post.  

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Curious, how do you see the rest of the candidates? Which are palatable... I saw Senator Scott on TV (The View) and he handled himself very well.  Showed grace and character when he was being needled by the harpies.   To be honest I am not sold on DeSantis at all. Ramaswamy is a sharp guy but really too young,  he is probably angling for a cabinet post.  

No chance any of them and most are running to be Trump's VP. That or to raise their political profile to run for higher offices or president later.

Longshot that he is, I see Christie as a serious candidate because he is actually doing something very different. Directly attacking Trump. So he owns that lane. Turns out Sununu isn't running. I would be surprised if he doesn't endorse Christie.

As pundits have pointed out Trump won't allow himself to be on a debate stage with Christie. Too bad because that's what people really NEED to see.

Edited by Jingthing

I love that he follows Bruce Springsteen around like a love-sick puppy and Bruce is like, "Talk To The Hand". He would give a kidney to be invited onstage, or even noticed by his alpha-better. The other New Jersey God, Bon Jovi has the same drop dead, retard-stance. 

Just the epitome of the fake-tough bully. He's running to keep his news show consultant relevancy.

In a comical throw down between him and fellow no-hoper Pence, I have to give the nod to ol' Fly-head.