Australian woman stranded in Thailand after fall leaves her ‘bleeding from her ears’ and in coma

ezzra

Turing Thailand is all nice and exiting as long as you don't meet with a horrible accident that can go shockingly wrong:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/new-south-wales-woman-stranded-in-thailand-after-fall-leaves-her-bleeding-from-her-ears-and-in-coma/news-story/19632a9ea55764d1eae833b5f6fb4a13

Edited by ezzra

46 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Turing Thailand is all nice and exiting as long as you don't meet with a horrible accident that can go shockingly wrong:

seems it might not of been a horrible accident though.....

*after the travel insurance company cited bar tabs and CCTV footage to prove she was allegedly drunk, voiding her coverage*.

*Paul Enwright revealed he didn’t know about the alcohol clause in their Cover-More travel insurance*.

should of read the policy you took out. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thanks 2

Another day, another GoFundMe...this time an Aussie for a change. The alcohol level of 0.19 exclusion is pretty common in the policies, and requires some serious drinking to be exceeded. To deny it without a blood test implies she is way above that. The private hospitals probably don't do alcohol tests as they know the claim could be rejected.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

0.19 blood alcohol level is pretty low and restrictive, after all these people are on holiday, even the police allow you to drive as long as you're under 0.5 meaning if you can operate a motor vehicle safely at that level surly you can walk safely as well right? 

According to a BAC calculator a female weighting 80kg and drinking 8 beers in 4 hours would have around 0.16 BAC. Almost double the amount of beers to get to 0.35. The insurers most likely have enough evidence to reject the claim.

45 minutes ago, ezzra said:

0.19 blood alcohol level is pretty low and restrictive, after all these people are on holiday, even the police allow you to drive as long as you're under 0.5 meaning if you can operate a motor vehicle safely at that level surly you can walk safely as well right? 

BAC of .0.19 is pretty low???  How many DUI arrest have you made?  I have made over 250 and some of these people could barely walk with a .0.08 level.  It depends on many factors:  recency of alcohol consumption, body mass and weight, drinking on an empty stomach and alcohol intake tolerance.  This old saying is true:  “Alcoholics make better drunks”.  

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Another day, another GoFundMe...this time an Aussie for a change. The alcohol level of 0.19 exclusion is pretty common in the policies, and requires some serious drinking to be exceeded. To deny it without a blood test implies she is way above that. The private hospitals probably don't do alcohol tests as they know the claim could be rejected.

"“Yes, we had a few drinks when the pool bar opened. We were about to go and get changed and head out for dinner"

nine Long Island iced teas = 22.5 shots of alcohol

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

Some people who purchase travel insurance thinks it covers every possibility. Mine does not cover illegal acts (riding a motorbike with no license or helmet) or accidents while under the influence. Here are my policy details. I'd image other policies are similar: 

The insurance under this insuring agreement does not cover any Injury, loss, or damage arising from or as a result of any of the following causes:
(1) While the Insured is under the influence of addictive substance, or narcotics to the extent of being unable to control one's mind.
(2) While the Insured is under the influence of alcohol with a tested blood alcohol level of 150 mg/dl or over.

(3) While the Insured is under the influence of alcohol to the extent of being unable to control one's mind if no alcohol test is administered or the alcohol level cannot be detected.

7 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

Some people who purchase travel insurance thinks it covers every possibility. Mine does not cover illegal acts (riding a motorbike with no license or helmet) or accidents while under the influence. Here are my policy details. I'd image other policies are similar: 

The insurance under this insuring agreement does not cover any Injury, loss, or damage arising from or as a result of any of the following causes:
(1) While the Insured is under the influence of addictive substance, or narcotics to the extent of being unable to control one's mind.
(2) While the Insured is under the influence of alcohol with a tested blood alcohol level of 150 mg/dl or over.

(3) While the Insured is under the influence of alcohol to the extent of being unable to control one's mind if no alcohol test is administered or the alcohol level cannot be detected.

No 3. ..... unable to control ones mind???? 

Very sad situation, there needed to be a step-stair there. Reminds me of all the people who get super smashed and fall over the low railing at a high rise hotel. Or decide they are going to sit on it and topple over.

Which cartoon was it.(?)........."watch that first step, it's a doozy!"

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, shackleton said:

This accident. happened in May 2023

Plus she had a go fund me at the time 

I would assume it was successful and she returned to Australia  okay 

4 minutes ago, shackleton said:

This accident. happened in May 2023

Plus she had a go fund me at the time 

I would assume it was successful and she returned to Australia  okay 

You assume wrong, the woman injured in Thailand has passed away.!