Biden mistakenly calls Rishi Sunak ‘Mr President’ as he welcomes him to White House

Social Media

Joe Biden wrongly named Rishi Sunak's title during a meeting of the pair in the White House, welcoming him as "Mr President".

The US president swiftly corrected himself, joking that he had "promoted" Mr Sunak.

The 80-year-old, seated across from Mr Sunak for Thursday's bilateral meeting, said: "Well, Mr President - Mr President, I just promoted you. Mr Prime Minister, it's great to have you back."

This might be Biden's biggest weakness going forward into campaign season. He always made his image that of an Everyman type, old Joe from Scranton, a retail level politician. He is losing that common touch with his errors and petulance.  He never was thought of as any great intellect, now he has nothing to fall back on other than 'at least I'm not The Other Guy'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

And it takes all of two comments before a "not as bad as Trump" appears. What a low standard you have, Tug!

I guess Biden's handlers forgot to write "PRIME MINISTER Rishi Sunak" on the crib notes that he carries around. They are going to have to correct that. It would be an honest mistake IF it were the leader of some third world nowhere country, but not the case of one of America's most important friends.

Oh I donno I think it’s an appropriate comparison 

I watched the video. Biden IMMEDIATELY (less than a second) recognized his mistake and made light of it. Not seeing a senior-moment here.

Yes, he tripped over a sandbag. No he didn't need help waddling down a ramp.

I realize the right wingnut jobs need a hope/prayer and if this sort of mistake gives them jollies I say feast away.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tug said:

Oh I donno I think it’s an appropriate comparison 

How about instead comparing him to other previous Presidents for a more accurate assessment? To Presidents Obama or Bush for example.  Using Trump exclusively is no more than damning Biden with faint praise. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I watched the video. Biden IMMEDIATELY (less than a second) recognized his mistake and made light of it. Not seeing a senior-moment here.

Yes, he tripped over a sandbag. No he didn't need help waddling down a ramp.

I realize the right wingnut jobs need a hope/prayer and if this sort of mistake gives them jollies I say feast away.

So, walking slowly down a ramp is worse than pratfalling on a stage and needing 3 people to assist you in standing up again? I seem to recall the "ramp episode" triggering the media into a flurry of "use the 25th Amendment" stories, gleefully repeated ad nauseum.

• Haha 1