Phuket emergency centre opens as mystery illness strikes 100+ people

webfact

image.jpeg

An emergency operations centre (EOC) has been established by the Public Health Ministry in response to over 100 people falling ill from an unidentified pathogen across three districts in Phuket. The pathogen has caused severe diarrhoea among those affected.

Public Health Permanent Secretary, Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, stated that health authorities are investigating the cause of the outbreak, which was initially thought to be a virus. The EOC has been set up to manage the situation, working closely with provincial authorities throughout the investigation.

Dr. Opas emphasised that despite diarrhoea having a low death rate, it is crucial to enforce sanitation regulations to prevent it from becoming a public health concern. This comes after a surge of patients presenting with symptoms on Thursday night.

Health Inspector-General Dr. Kittisak Aksornwong reported that numerous individuals were admitted to hospitals in the Muang, Kathu, and Thalang districts. However, most of those seeking medical treatment experienced only mild symptoms, including stomach cramps, vomiting, and low-grade fever.

by Mitch Connor

Photo via Facebook/ สวท.ภูเก็ต prd.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-emergency-centre-opens-as-mystery-illness-strikes-100-people

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I actually had this on Thursday, all day, finally took Imodium at night as it would not stop, got better on Friday, and okay today ...

Severe diarrehea and I had some body ache too, I thought must have been one of those 24 hour bugs we call ...

I now wonder, can I get it again, or have some resistance built up...!!?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr. Opas emphasised that despite diarrhoea having a low death rate, it is crucial to enforce sanitation regulations to prevent it from becoming a public health concern. This comes after a surge of patients presenting with symptoms on Thursday night.

Enough to give you the s*****s

20 hours ago, webfact said:

This comes after a surge of patients presenting with symptoms on Thursday night.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The pathogen has caused severe diarrhoea among those affected.

The 'pearl of the world ' will not smell very good ...

It is probably caused by unclean tab water , should examine that first ...

19 hours ago, Agusts said:

I actually had this on Thursday, all day, finally took Imodium at night as it would not stop, got better on Friday, and okay today ...

Severe diarrehea and I had some body ache too, I thought must have been one of those 24 hour bugs we call ...

I now wonder, can I get it again, or have some resistance built up...!!?

Sounds like what I had about 2 weeks ago.  But I am in the U.S. of A.!

Edited by radiochaser