Water is becoming increasingly scarce as temperatures rise across the globe

Social Media

My pond at this time. ☹️

We have lost well over a hundred talapie, and all but four coy, the water has been so hot as it has dried up.

Never been as bad as this before in fifteen years

20230607_101800.jpg

• Sad 1

There is NO scarcity of water.

There is plenty of water up in the atmosphere as humidity rises.

As the global temperature rises, then this leads to faster evaporation.

But where does this water vapor go?

It goes UP into the atmosphere.

In the past, some said that the glaciers in the Himalayas would melt.  And, no doubt that they will.

When the glaciers in the Himalayas melt, then we can say BYE-BYE to rice production in some places in Asia.

Everyone has known this for years....

Even guys at Yale:  https://e360.yale.edu/features/himalayas-glaciers-climate-change

Therefore, why should we now pretend to be surprised?

Maybe nobody will believe it until it happens.

That's OK, too.

This is really OLD news...yet...unfortunately...Nobody cares.

How old is this news?

At least...30 years, or more, that I have been following it.

James Hansen chained himself to the White House Fence, just to protest, several years ago.

We have been listening to lectures about this problem, at the Earth Institute, at Columbia, for MANY years....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Earth_Institute

There is really no point in mentioning the unmentionable to people who do not care, who are in the majority, or should we say the Powerful Minority!

image.png.9676866f06e6949e001ef6e834f2663f.png

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

My pond at this time. ☹️

We have lost well over a hundred talapie, and all but four coy, the water has been so hot as it has dried up.

20230607_101800.jpg

Koi are beautiful fish.

If you were to visit the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, as I did in 1979, you would have seen a plethora of Koi swimming freely in several large ponds around the Hall.

That was over 40 years ago.

In those days, there were very, very few visitors to the Hall.

Also, as you know, Koi are fierce eaters.  If one were to throw just a few bread crumbs into the pond, the Koi would turn the placid pond into a roiling, foaming whiteness as 400 Koi competed for just a few crusts of bread.

These days, I suspect, the Memorial Hall is not what it once was.

Still, in Taiwan, there is plenty of water.

As I once mentioned here, during a super typhoon, it is actually possible to have over 1.8 meters of water dumped in a mountain area near Kaohsiung within a 24-hour period.

Most people reading my words have never experienced such a downpour of water that is as high as a man.

The real problem, these days, is that the DISTRIBUTION of rainfall is CHANGING.

Also, as the climate warms, we will have ever-more rainfall, obviously.

But, even though it will rain more, evaporation will increase due to higher temperature.

So, therefore, as you know, we will be blessed with a DOUBLE WHAMMY:

a.  We will experience greater rainfall, and subsequent effects such as flooding and flashfloods.

b.  We will also express greater dryness due to increased evaporation due to higher atmospheric temperature.

One other thing we must worry about is that, if we go completely carbon free, then the soot in the air that is now influencing our planet will no longer exist.  IF we were to remove the soot produced by burning carbon fuels, then this could substantially change our atmospheric equation.

Everybody knows this.  https://phys.org/news/2020-10-soot-particles-global-previously-assumed.html#:~:text=In the atmosphere or as,development and properties of clouds.

This is why, if we wish to save the Koi, and if we also wish to save ourselves, we need to study a lot more about soot.

Koi are beautiful.

But, maybe not beautiful enough to change Human Behavior.

The only thing we know, for sure, is that, if we were to expel sufficient carbon into the atmosphere to cause a runaway greenhouse effect, then we and the Koi might be living in a world similar to Venus.

But, no worries, because, James Hansen has already published research papers about the climate of Venus.

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

My pond at this time. ☹️

20230607_101800.jpg

Sorry to hear @Rimmer we have had similar problems on the family farm land

• Sad 1