Singapore Tourist Visa Run On A Shoestring

Dear knowledgeable visa run experts,

I will be going on a visa run to Singapore soon seeking a tourist visa. Have any of you made the Singapore visa trip on a tight budget before? How did you make it less expensive?

For instance, is there a bus stop or train station near the Embassy rather than taking a taxi?

Can anyone recommend a cheap place to stay?

A cheap way to travel to and from the airport?

Where is the best place to change money?

Also, let me summarize what I've heard about the process of getting the visa to see if I'm correct. I will apply for the tourist visa before 11:30 AM with a fee of $50 Singapore dollars and return the next afternoon after 2:00 to pick it up. Am I right that I would not need any papers or proof of ongoing travel?

I know that Singapore isn't the cheapest destination to pick for a visa run, but I also heard it's a fun place to visit and I've never been there.

Thank you for your help!

Dear knowledgeable visa run experts,

I will be going on a visa run to Singapore soon seeking a tourist visa. Have any of you made the Singapore visa trip on a tight budget before? How did you make it less expensive?

For instance, is there a bus stop or train station near the Embassy rather than taking a taxi?

Where is the best place to change money?

Also, let me summarize what I've heard about the process of getting the visa to see if I'm correct. I will apply for the tourist visa before 11:30 AM with a fee of $50 Singapore dollars and return the next afternoon after 2:00 to pick it up. Am I right that I would not need any papers or proof of ongoing travel?

I know that Singapore isn't the cheapest destination to pick for a visa run, but I also heard it's a fun place to visit and I've never been there.

Thank you for your help!

i was there about 3 months ago, but im an alcoholic so my memorys going, but from what i do remember is you can get a tube/ skytrain direct from airport and change to a northern route and the tube stop is not far from embassy.

after youve dropped your passport off walk back to town as you get nearer there are lots of hotels different budgets etc.

i wouldnt rush back here though singapore is a very nice place try and have a good few days looking around threr is an island called sentosa (or somthing like it) thats a day on its own and you can access it via a cable car.

money changers everywhere so no worries!

No smart comments at the embassy they blackmark you not to return!

have a good one!

No smart comments at the embassy they blackmark you not to return!

Completely agree.. While queueing I witnessed a (I would use the word gentleman, but it really doesn't seem to fit the bill here!) of Indian decent having a run in with the woman on the counter and also saw what she did to his application when he had (finally) walked away and realised that no matter how long you queue or how many questions you have, you have to remember that they hold your passport and hopes of entry into the LOS in thier hands so you have to keep smiling..... serves the bugger right tho.. he was damned rude.... I was close to giving him a dry slap myself..

Anyway, back to the OP's questions...

Singapore is not the cheapest of destinations, but you can get around on a budget..

is there a bus stop or train station near the Embassy rather than taking a taxi?

There is a bus stop directly outside the embassy which makes it relatively easy to get anywhere...

I stayed on Geylang 12 (hotel called The Sunflower)- which is the notorious red light district.. as long as you don't mind knowing that the hotels around there are also used short stays and you might be woken up at all hours with the amourous noises from all directions, you can stay there for about $60 (sing) a night.. I saw a sign on one hotel on Geyland 11 (Hotel 81 I think it was called) for $35 a night but I didn't stay there so don't know what kind of flea pit it is..

It's a lively place, so be prepared to be accosted at all hours by the girls round there, BUT there is plenty of (VERY) cheap places to eat - so you won't starve.. the the street eating affords for some good "sight seeing" !!

I always use the Taxi's - BUT don't use the Limo services - they are about $60(sing) just to the airport... if you walk out of the baggage claim area and make am immediate right turn and use the exit there, you can get a meter cab - Airport to Geylang is about $13(sing) and takes about 20 mins

A taxi from Geylang to Orchard Rd (Embassy) is about $11(sing), but I have never caught a bus (there are bus stops all along the main road above the Geylang streets, but look so busy I have never checked to see where they go) or how much the cost.

If you need a beer buy it in 7-11 or something it'll save you a bundle

You can use WiFi for free in MC'D's near the embassy - but they have no plugs... SO I prefer to use the little coffee shop just outside the embassy and you can surf while you drink AND CHARGE !!!

Enjoy your trip and keep your valuables safe - give us a report when you get back

Hi

There are backpackers hostels in Little India and the Bugis area - do a google.

From what I have seen they are very cheap and clean.

Use the East West MRT from the airport - quick and cheap.

Food at the food courts and hawker stalls is very cheap - say 5 dollars with soft drink. Go up to Bencoolen and you will find lots of Thai girls staying in that area or so I have been told.

Its beer etc that is expensive here - keep away from the bar's etc and you can do a visa run very cheaply - say less than 100 Sing all in - less than 2200THB

Use the MRT from airport, cheap and efficient, around 2 sing dollars downtown. Each single journey ticket/card costs 1 dollar extra but put it back in a ticket machine at the end of your journey and you get the dollar back!

Buses are also cheap and efficient although crowded at peak periods.

Many cheap places to eat, street stalls etc.....great food.

Never tried backpacker hostels as there's always been two of us to split the hotel room cost.

Thai Embassy is short walk from MRT station (Orchard if I remember correctly!?!)

Try and stay a few days as great place to visit/shop/eat especially Little India, Chinatown, Bugis.

Bars very expensive though so really blow any budget.

:o

If you go to Singapore you have to go to Sentosa its a must.

Errm - I had better get round to it - I live here but have not been yet :o

The Zoo and the night Safari have nott ben visited either and we get free tickets for the zoo from my company!

Just went to the New Asia Bar on the 71st floor of the Swisshotel for the first time Saturday for the view as the sun goes down.

Hi,

I stayed at the Cozy Corner last time I was there on the back of a recomendation from a friend . Very reasonably priced, right in the centre of the city, for a cheap guesthouse you aren't gonna find much better. However because of this, it can book out pretty early. have a look at the website:

http://cozycornerguest.com/

Cheers

Things to do:

Sentosa: Very nice, you can walk around, visit the beach, see the butterfly and WWII museum, etc.

Night Safari: I enjoy it. tickets a bit pricy, but worth it. You can easily take the MRT and bus there and back.

Zoo: Never been, but hear good things about it.

Botanical Gardens: Very nice, and free.

Orchard Road: Just walk around and take in the sights.

Lots to see and do there, those are just a very few.

If your budget holds up have a drink at the bar at the Raffles.

Some people like to diss Singapore, but I always find it a welcome sanity break, after which I am ready for Thailand again.

Raffles Place MRT for Boat Quay and people watching

You can also walk to Lau Pa Sat festival market for some good cheap food. There is an Indias Dhosa place there which is "Eat what you like, pay what you feel"

No rpices you pay what you think it was worth - very interesting what different people pay!

As I was in the area for 11 nights recently I ate there at least 5 times - very good grub.

Escape to the malls for the air con if the heat gets to you - lots of them all over.

Wander about Raffles - you do not have to go in and buy anything.

Little Arabia is very up and comng and trendy now - not far from Bugis and lots of cheap food places there - then wander along Beach Road to Golden Miles Complex (the Thai place) - that is always interesting except for a Sunday afternoon (Well it is then too but a bit rough and ready)