Neighborhood medical clinics in Bangkok for minor issues?

BangkokHank

There are times that I need to have something minor attended to for which I don't want to go to an expensive private hospital - or a cheap government hospital where I would have to wait for hours - things like having a bandage changed or having stitches removed. Are there any small neighborhood clinics in Bangkok where they do this sort of thing? Is that a thing here in Thailand? For example, when I was living in Vietnam until recently, I discovered that pretty much every neighborhood has one of these little clinics that locals use for this purpose, but I can't recall ever seeing such a thing in Thailand. Maybe they exist but we farangs just don't know how to find them?

As an example, I used to go to hospitals to have ingrown toenails taken care of. I asked my local pharmacist for advice about this and she told me that nail/manicure shops do this sort of thing in Thailand. So I found a nail shop in a nearby mall, and they did a GREAT job of it - for just a fraction of the hospital cost.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

I can't recall ever seeing such a thing in Thailand. Maybe they exist but we farangs just don't know how to find them?

They are on every other street. Just look for the Thai word for "clinic".

The ones in Thailand tend to be very very basic with typically a retired surgeon doing simple checks and providing simple advice. Very few medical procedures such as unstitching will be performed there.

• Thanks 1

If you need a decent clinic there is one next to the Ganesha shrine @ HuayKwang MRT stop. Some English spoken by staff. Doctor a bit more. Prices are ok. I've used it in years past for a work permit physical b500 as well as a battery of pathology tests b1300. Got tests for wife as well. Same price. It's better staff than most clinics. There is a phlebotomist I don't know if she doubles as a nurse and two or three office staff plus the doctor.

If you are looking for something in dindaeng pm me. I lazy. Doctor speaks great English. Tiny clinic.

Edited by Plern
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Plern said:

I've used it in years past for a work permit

My clinic charges me 100 baht every year for the documents for the physical. I then pay a lab 120 baht to do the mandatory VDRL test. 

Clinics are everywhere in Bangkok,  used by Thais for very minor things. 

Find a clinic in your neighborhood and check out what they can do.

It probably won't be much.

For change of bandage Thais would go to a hospital. 

Sheryl listed the best choices. 

Otherwise,  every neighborhood has a local private hospital and they may not be very expensive. Places like Petcharavej, Kluanamthai (not a good hospital but OPD is ok), Ramkhamhaeng hospitals. Or the new Princ chain. Some are very expensive and not worth it at all, so it's a good idea to know them.

15 hours ago, Gaccha said:

My clinic charges me 100 baht every year for the documents for the physical. I then pay a lab 120 baht to do the mandatory VDRL test. 

Ooooooh wow!!!!

So, I guess it's my turn to now one up you?

I don't pay anything for documents as they are included in the price of the fee for service

I don't need a VD test because I'm not having sex with prostitutes. So, I guess I'm saving b120 what??? Monthly is it?

5 hours ago, Plern said:

I don't need a VD test because I'm not having sex with prostitutes.

The test is mandatory for anyone applying for a work permit.

As for the cost of the clinic, I'm simply pointing out a normal price at most clinics.

There are several small private clinics virtually everywhere in Bangkok. Virtually every soi where people actually live has at least one clinic. Thai Bangkokians love going to clinics for small issues such as a cold, stomach ache, or a minor cut.

As per the advice of other members, motorcycle taxis are a good source for finding the nearest clinic.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:45 PM, BangkokHank said:

but I can't recall ever seeing such a thing in Thailand. Maybe they exist but we farangs just don't know how to find them?

They are everywhere Normally they are a standard build on most of them, two stories, and normally near the local Temple also everywhere. :giggle:

Some have a live on site doctor some a nurse, very reasonable cost was about 50b to clean and dress a wound. they also have a dispensary, and wheelchairs for loan, 

Tried to upload a photo but they are there, on google, 

Thai public clinic. as i said a standard government building  

ghgkgkfyl.jfif

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, Gaccha said:

They are on every other street. Just look for the Thai word for "clinic".

The ones in Thailand tend to be very very basic with typically a retired surgeon doing simple checks and providing simple advice. Very few medical procedures such as unstitching will be performed there.

Not my experience, 40ish nurse can give injections, clean and dress wounds, give meds,  My missus along with all the other hats she wears is a health volunteer, well it does pay 4k a month init. :cheesy: and sells junk food to kids :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: