Good place for 50th?

Batty

It's my 50th coming up soon. I have a mate coming over from UK with his Mrs, and together with my Mrs we are after somewhere to go for a few days break.

Was hoping for somewhere different, but I have lived here 20 years and have been to a good few places a good number of times.

Can anyone suggest a decent place to fly to for 4 or 5 days, within a few hours of Bangkok? Somewhere touristy and interesting or just chilled.

I have already hit Samui, KP, Kanchanaburi, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Ranong, Rayong. Covered most of Isarn already but wouldn't fancy Isarn for a 50th anyway. 

Any suggestions outside of those? 

Is Railey Beach worth a visit or will it be rained out in mid July?

What about outside of Thailand? Other than Bali, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Vietnam, Penang - been to all of those a few times.

Is Japan somewhere good to 'nip away' for a short break from Thailand? Taiwan maybe? China? 

I'm struggling for ideas here. This forum is full of well travelled people, was hoping to grab a suggestion or two if I could.

Cheers ????

To chill for a short time with friends. https://www.panviman.com/

I a not in anyway associated with them but, had I funds, I would consider a short chill stay. I live in Chiang Mai so this is a domestic recommendation. Air has cleared, place is up on Doi Suthep.

For a 50th, I think I would be tempted to visit Nam … beach or up in the cooler hills.

Happy mid-century mark!

If you really want to splash money around, Le Meridien in Chiang Rai is 7000 baht/night. Swimming pool the size of a football field.

Chiang Saen Skywalk, Phu Chi Fa, Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan and the Mae Sai markets are all worth a visit. Charin Gardens on the 118 is a sweet-tooth paradise.

Outside Thailand, Vietnam. Danang beach, Dalat in the mountains, a Halong Bay cruise.

Happy fiftieth.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Le meridian in chiang rai is really nice and relaxing if you have not been its probably worth the trip. Loved this spot when i went with the wife. For travelling outside of Thailand maybe a short trip to Singapore or you could go to baracay and or palawan in PI. Very nice also...

Edited by bmontague

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you really want to splash money around, Le Meridien in Chiang Rai is 7000 baht/night. Swimming pool the size of a football field.

Chiang Saen Skywalk, Phu Chi Fa, Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan and the Mae Sai markets are all worth a visit. Charin Gardens on the 118 is a sweet-tooth paradise.

Outside Thailand, Vietnam. Danang beach, Dalat in the mountains, a Halong Bay cruise.

Happy fiftieth.

Concur with places mentioned in Vietnam, well worth a visit 

• Love It 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:16 AM, Batty said:

What about outside of Thailand? Other than Bali, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Vietnam, Penang - been to all of those a few times

How about Luang Prabang, interesting town and as quiet or lively as you want. Bit of a bonus is many of the older Laotians speak Thai. My wife asked why and it stems from when they were young they only had Thai TV.

We went in Jan, flew from BKK and had 3 days in LP then took the new high speed train to Vientiane.  Bus from the station across the border, stayed overnight in Udon Thani and flew back to BKK following day, enjoyable trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree that Luang Prubang is a very romantic getaway. And Vientiane has the cheapest high end dining in Asia.

We live in Chiang Mai and our getaways are usually discount stays in 5* BKK hotels when we can get a deal. Joining all their loyalty programs helps (The Shangri La is the most generous, or desperate for customers). Typically, these places have legendary restaurants and jaw-dropping Sunday buffets.

We got The Sukothai Hotel for $150 a night in August. The mega 5*s like The 4 Seasons and The Oriental never, ever discount, tho. Not even during Covid. They're no better than the 4 and a half * places.

• Sad 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, wwest5829 said:

To chill for a short time with friends. https://www.panviman.com/

I a not in anyway associated with them but, had I funds, I would consider a short chill stay. I live in Chiang Mai so this is a domestic recommendation. Air has cleared, place is up on Doi Suthep.

For a 50th, I think I would be tempted to visit Nam … beach or up in the cooler hills.

Happy mid-century mark!

Appreciate the suggestion, thanks. We have done CM to death though - actually just returned from a CM trip a couple months back. Thanks though ????

On 6/17/2023 at 1:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Probably not if the the pun was intended.

But really, yep Japan is a great culture shock… Tokyo is awesome to walk around & really foodie !!!

Lol, took me a moment to realise what you meant by that ????

On 6/17/2023 at 1:20 PM, Lacessit said:

Happy fiftieth.

Thanks for the suggestion - we have stayed at Le Meridian a couple times in the past as it happens, done a few of the upmarket hotels in CM. Unfortunately my biz ended a few years ago and our 'baller' days are on hold at the moment (temporarily, hopefully) so that's a bit out of our budget right now. Great idea though, thanks.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, robertson468 said:

Why not take the 4 day Cruise from Singapore.  Have just booked it for October and there are loads of activities on board, plus shore trips.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea but I can't see anything about a 4 day cruise when I search. You mean a ship that departs from Singers? Or departs from BKK to Singers?

On 6/17/2023 at 1:23 PM, TheFishman1 said:

So you only been here 20 years and asking advice where to go for your birthday and you’ve mentioned all the places you’ve been to strange

Huh? I'm baffled. Your implying something but I can't figure out what exactly. It's strange that I listed all the places i have been? I mean if I didn't mention the fact I had been here a while and list the places, everyone would suggest the usual places, and I would have to reply "already been there" to every suggestion, wouldn't I.

Or I am lying about having lived here 20 years? What would be the point of that in a completely anonymous forum thread?

Instead of farting around with thinly veiled implications why don't you just come out and say whatever it is you think instead of being cryptic lol?

Always one, isn't there. Some pillock sat behind a keyboard with a Luke warm Leo, trolling perfectly normal posts. It never ceases to amaze me lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/18/2023 at 9:10 AM, sandyf said:

How about Luang Prabang, interesting town and as quiet or lively as you want. Bit of a bonus is many of the older Laotians speak Thai. My wife asked why and it stems from when they were young they only had Thai TV.

We went in Jan, flew from BKK and had 3 days in LP then took the new high speed train to Vientiane.  Bus from the station across the border, stayed overnight in Udon Thani and flew back to BKK following day, enjoyable trip.

Thanks - I'll take a look at that. I've never really been to Laos, not properly - visa runs to Vientiane many years ago and a quick 2 night stay in the Mekong once but didn't leave the main strip. Always fancied seeing Laos properly. I'll have a good look at LP today. Cheers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

If you want to go to China, Dali is cool.

You would need to fly to Kunming and then take a 2 1/2 hour high speed train. 

Charming old town with old-style architecture. 

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Appreciate it ????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Wow, that does look like a cool place.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Obviously quicker flying but you can now get a train direct from Vientiane to Kunming, about 10 and half hours. There is a bus service between the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai and the new railway station.

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2023/04/19/historic-cross-border-passenger-trains-travel-between-vientiane-and-kunming#:~:text=The journey between Vientiane and,the Boten-Bohan border crossing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ao Nang Railey can be wet and windy during july and problems to get on and off the beach since there is only boat transfer between Ao Nang and Railey. Same for Koh Lipe as well. 

Croatia is nice in July ????

However North is nice so Pai, Chiang Mai and Ciang Rai is beautiful at this time even there is some showers coming down. 

Palawan Phillippines? Rainy season, but still beautiful and good days and not so hot.