Advice needed, resigning from job

Hi all, I will be resigning from my job shortly and returning to country of origin. I'll be back in Thailand in about 3 years as a retired individual. If I don't go and cancel work permit and get they 7 day rejection from immigration would it come back to bite me later? I intend flying out immediately upon resigning

I resigned from my job in Thailand, intending to retire and stay on here (annual marriage 'visa' extension though) and ended my own work permit by the book (so to speak). Two trips to a Labour Dept office at Laksi (two, as didn't have the correct papers signed by employer the 1st trip) got it done. 

Did I HAVE to do it, in terms of not having it - as you say - bite me later? 

Not quite sure, tbh. My own view, at the time and now, is that it might have been (sorry for my own apparent lack of certainty about this!) useful, documented proof thereafter that I had paid my income taxes......and generally done what I was supposed to do, and thus avoid later anxieties, etc.

The only time that I was asked to provide that doc ( that I got from the Labour Dept office) was the first time I applied for the year extension based on marriage. But never again after that.....AND....I've personally never seen such a doc listed as possible requirements for getting retirement or marriage extensions, depending on your circumstances. ????

So....what probs I might have had if I hadn't ended the wp by the officially-correct route....I just dunno. 

But my hunch is that.....it wouldn't really be a prob for you later at all if you had skipped that whole process - especially if you had not owed unpaid incomes taxes (either knowingly or unknowingly!).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toolong said:

I resigned from my job in Thailand, intending to retire and stay on here (annual marriage 'visa' extension though) and ended my own work permit by the book (so to speak). Two trips to a Labour Dept office at Laksi (two, as didn't have the correct papers signed by employer the 1st trip) got it done. 

Did I HAVE to do it, in terms of not having it - as you say - bite me later? 

Not quite sure, tbh. My own view, at the time and now, is that it might have been (sorry for my own apparent lack of certainty about this!) useful, documented proof thereafter that I had paid my income taxes......and generally done what I was supposed to do, and thus avoid later anxieties, etc.

The only time that I was asked to provide that doc ( that I got from the Labour Dept office) was the first time I applied for the year extension based on marriage. But never again after that.....AND....I've personally never seen such a doc listed as possible requirements for getting retirement or marriage extensions, depending on your circumstances. ????

So....what probs I might have had if I hadn't ended the wp by the officially-correct route....I just dunno. 

But my hunch is that.....it wouldn't really be a prob for you later at all if you had skipped that whole process - especially if you had not owed unpaid incomes taxes (either knowingly or unknowingly!).

Thanks, employer takes tax out of salary each month. I just don't want to go to immigration to get that rejection and told to bed gone in 7 days, I'd rather just get on a plane and go

If you never again need to have dealings with the Labour Department, it is very unlikely to matter. However, out of an abundance of caution, I would do it properly. It is impossible to know what you might want to do later, and staying squeaky clean is prudent.

• Like 2