Taking a Thai woman and child to Australia on a defacto visa

Currently living in Thailand 10 years. I have a 7yo child (Australian citizen) and she has a 7yo Thai boy. We been living together in Thailand as a family around 6 years.

Looking at the possibility of moving back to Australia. I am pretty sure she will qualify for the defacto visa which will give her certain rights to work, medicare etc...but what about her child? Will that give him the same rights as her or will he have to come on a tourist visa?

How does it work for the woman? I believe they can work pretty much immediately and after a year they get permanent residence or something? What sort of rights as a citizen does that give them

Has anyone gone through the process lately? I believe around $18000AUS for mother and child.

Prefer to hear from Australians that have enquired or been through the process recently / last few years.

What happens in UK / US will have no relevance

Exactly the sort of motherly advice / reply I didn't want. I am sure you mean well. I wont make a costly decision based on only the opinions of AN users however be nice to here some first hand experience or issues. It is virtually impossible to discuss anything with them these days as the Aus govt now use a third party agency to process immigration visas. Gone are the days of sitting down face to face for an interview and discussing options, eligibility etc. In fact if you apply (10k AUD +) and it is rejected you lose your application fee. If I can get some first hand advice / experience I will troll through the applications and see what's what. 

The child will be included in the s/c 309 visa application.

Cost will be around $10 000 for mother and child.

There will be additional costs for medicals, translations etc.

I assume your girlfriend has legal custody of the child.

It usually takes 2 years after the granting of the 309 visa before a permanent resident

visa (s/c 100) can be applied for.

After gaining permanent residency, she can apply for citizenship.

That's about it.

31 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The child will be included in the s/c 309 visa application.

Cost will be around $10 000 for mother and child.

There will be additional costs for medicals, translations etc.

I assume your girlfriend has legal custody of the child.

It usually takes 2 years after the granting of the 309 visa before a permanent resident

visa (s/c 100) can be applied for.

After gaining permanent residency, she can apply for citizenship.

That's about it.

I have had a chance to read a bit more through the application after confirming with a friend it is actually the 309 defacto application. I was surprised to see the additional cost for a child was only around $2000AUD. I am sure a few years ago when I looked at it was going to be a total of $18k. I also read the child receives the same vis rights / benefits as the mother. My friend told me his GF received PR status only 10 days after arriving! And as you say normally 1-2 years. The only thing the agent could tell him was maybe it was approved earlier as it was during covid and immigration had very little to do. My main concern is paying the visa fee then not getting approval. She has a solid work history and we have been together around 6 years. No blemishes on either of us here or Australia. Only thing is I am older and have no property etc in Australia though do have a reasonable nest egg.  

37 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I have had a chance to read a bit more through the application after confirming with a friend it is actually the 309 defacto application. I was surprised to see the additional cost for a child was only around $2000AUD. I am sure a few years ago when I looked at it was going to be a total of $18k. I also read the child receives the same vis rights / benefits as the mother. My friend told me his GF received PR status only 10 days after arriving! And as you say normally 1-2 years. The only thing the agent could tell him was maybe it was approved earlier as it was during covid and immigration had very little to do. My main concern is paying the visa fee then not getting approval. She has a solid work history and we have been together around 6 years. No blemishes on either of us here or Australia. Only thing is I am older and have no property etc in Australia though do have a reasonable nest egg.  

Does your friend have a child with his partner who is an Australian citizen?

I've heard this can fast track permanent residency.

You will never get a 100% guarantee of the visa,  but as long as the health, character and relationship requirements are met, refusals are not common.

Edited by Will27

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Does your friend have a child with his partner who is an Australian citizen?

I've heard this can fast track permanent residency.

You will never get a 100% guarantee of the visa,  but as long as the health, character and relationship requirements are met, refusals are not common.

No, no kids and not even married. Only de facto ????

• Like 1