non o visa at savannakhet loas

4 hours ago, dirtybirty said:

ps non o marriage  to thai

Just to be clear.

Are you obtaining a Multi entry non O marriage visa valid for 12months  OR 

A non O marriage single entry visa? 

There is thread for ME non O Marriage posted earlier.

Here is excellent report for non O marriage. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1263040-non-o-visa-run-to-savannakhet-june-2022/ 

Edit: this thread is also multi entry 12 month visa. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to be clear.

Yes, I have just done the same thing a few weeks ago and it was exactly like Dr. Jack’s repost. No financials required.  One thing to add- I asked for a Multiple Entry Non O based on marriage and the clerk wasn’t paying attention and asked for 2,000 THB. Knowing something was off, I said something like, “only 2000?”

She said yes, for a single entry (90 days). 
So I told her again I was applying for a one year multple entry. 
She said simply said “5000”. And it was done. 
I brought a copy of my bank book, my real bank book, about 30,000 THB and about 800 USD, just in case. Didn’t show any of it and was never asked for it. Then I was just worried about it falling out of my pockets. Lol
Easy-Peasy, except for waiting for the bus to go from Mukdahan to Savannakhet. By the time I got to the consulate at about 9:30 on a Thursday, there were probably 300 people ahead me.  Avoid Mondays an Thursdays and try to go early to avoid standing in the hot sun or rain for hours. 

8 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Easy-Peasy, except for waiting for the bus to go from Mukdahan to Savannakhet. By the time I got to the consulate at about 9:30 on a Thursday,

What time did you arrive at Mukdahan bus station? Is there any reason you can think of for the long wait?

As an aside, it is possible to travel independently to the Friendship Bridge, buying a bus ticket there. They seem to allow overfilled buses once you are through Thai immigration. I would not do this normally, but might if I could tell the wait would be long at Mukdahan bus station.

17 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Yes, I have just done the same thing a few weeks ago and it was exactly like Dr. Jack’s repost. No financials required.  One thing to add- I asked for a Multiple Entry Non O based on marriage and the clerk wasn’t paying attention and asked for 2,000 THB. Knowing something was off, I said something like, “only 2000?”

She said yes, for a single entry (90 days). 
So I told her again I was applying for a one year multple entry. 
She said simply said “5000”. And it was done. 
I brought a copy of my bank book, my real bank book, about 30,000 THB and about 800 USD, just in case. Didn’t show any of it and was never asked for it. Then I was just worried about it falling out of my pockets. Lol
Easy-Peasy, except for waiting for the bus to go from Mukdahan to Savannakhet. By the time I got to the consulate at about 9:30 on a Thursday, there were probably 300 people ahead me.  Avoid Mondays an Thursdays and try to go early to avoid standing in the hot sun or rain for hours. 

Very helpful post. Thank you..

There is a big difference for ME Non O marriage. Which is a 5000b visa valid for one year vs single entry non O . 

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

What time did you arrive at Mukdahan bus station? Is there any reason you can think of for the long wait?

As an aside, it is possible to travel independently to the Friendship Bridge, buying a bus ticket there. They seem to allow overfilled buses once you are through Thai immigration. I would not do this normally, but might if I could tell the wait would be long at Mukdahan bus station.

I park up at the bridge, buy a bus ticket at the kiosk a bit further on, 50bht.p.p. They do squeeze you on, but I have never had a problem.

Bus is usually ever half hour, though I have a feeling the first one is 9.30am, because I waited nearly an hour. Then I get off the other side of the bridge, do the Laos visa thing and get a taxi/tuk-tuk from there to the Consulate, 100bht.p.p..

26 minutes ago, transam said:

I park up at the bridge, buy a bus ticket at the kiosk a bit further on, 50bht.p.p. They do squeeze you on, but I have never had a problem.

Bus is usually ever half hour, though I have a feeling the first one is 9.30am, because I waited nearly an hour. Then I get off the other side of the bridge, do the Laos visa thing and get a taxi/tuk-tuk from there to the Consulate, 100bht.p.p..

I believe the first bus from Mukdahan bus station leaves at 7:30 (it was 7:00 when I last took it, but I think it is now half an hour later).

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to be clear.

thanks Dr Jack think only proplem I will have is mrs hasn't got a passport. 

10 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

thanks Dr Jack think only proplem I will have is mrs hasn't got a passport. 

If she doesn't have one, it doesn't matter. They won't even ask.

Put it this way, my Mrs has a passport but I didn't provide a copy last February, just a copy of her ID card, the Tibian Bahn (blue book), both countersigned and an ORIGINAL of the marriage certificate.

Edited by NanLaew

On 6/22/2023 at 11:49 AM, BritTim said:

I believe the first bus from Mukdahan bus station leaves at 7:30 (it was 7:00 when I last took it, but I think it is now half an hour later).

Any idea until which time you can go in the evening to Savannakhet? I plan to arrive around 8:30-9:00PM. 

43 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Any idea until which time you can go in the evening to Savannakhet? I plan to arrive around 8:30-9:00PM. 

The border is open from 6:00 am until 10:00 pm. However, it is likely that the counter for a Lao visa on arrival at Savannakhet will already be closed if you arrive at that time. Also, the last international bus crosses the bridge around 19:30 (19:00 from Mukdahan bus station). Thus, if you want to get to Savannakhet late evening, you will need a Lao eVisa (or visa from a Lao embassy/consulate) and either be able to cross in your own vehicle or pay for an expensive taxi.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:46 PM, BritTim said:

I arrived just before 7:00 a.m. and the sign said the bus left fifteen minutes past the hour every hour, I believe.  It definitely said 7:15., but it didn't leave until 8:30.  No reason I can think of why it was late.  The bus just wasn't there.

Edited by keysersoze276

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, NanLaew said:

If she doesn't have one, it doesn't matter. They won't even ask.

Put it this way, my Mrs has a passport but I didn't provide a copy last February, just a copy of her ID card, the Tibian Bahn (blue book), both countersigned and an ORIGINAL of the marriage certificate.

thanks for that going next week ps you copied doc didn't have to be certified did they?

1 hour ago, dirtybirty said:

thanks for that going next week ps you copied doc didn't have to be certified did they?

"Certified" in this context just means signed by you and/or your wife as appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

hi everyone to give you all an update at savannakhet consulate. picked passport up today with multiple entry non o based on marrige.  no financials req just documents as in other post. word of warning had to queue for 6hrs yesterday to submit docs ( not pleasant at all) however got what I wanted so not a prop.  Also not sure what days they take documents for visas as submitted mine on monday and picked up today at 2pm. I got there at 12 to avoid the queues. however there was nobody there submitting docs and consulate locked unlike yesterday at this time still a massive queue. 

thanks everyone for your replies 

12 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

word of warning had to queue for 6hrs yesterday to submit docs ( not pleasant at all)

Right. This acts as a good reminder to others. Do not go to Savannakhet on Mondays or Thursdays when the visa run groups usually arrive.

8 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

hi everyone to give you all an update at savannakhet consulate. picked passport up today with multiple entry non o based on marrige.  no financials req just documents as in other post. word of warning had to queue for 6hrs yesterday to submit docs ( not pleasant at all) however got what I wanted so not a prop.  Also not sure what days they take documents for visas as submitted mine on monday and picked up today at 2pm. I got there at 12 to avoid the queues. however there was nobody there submitting docs and consulate locked unlike yesterday at this time still a massive queue. 

thanks everyone for your replies 

6 hours.........................????

They lock the gate at 11am, sharp, no exceptions.

They open the gate at 2pm, sharp, for collections the following day.

You can apply any day Monday to Friday, you collect the next day except Friday applications, you collect on Monday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

You can usually bribe your way in if you arrive a little after 11:00am. They still process anyone inside the gates, often for hours after the gates close.

Queuing for six hours is extreme, but from 8:30 am until 1:00 pm is very possible.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

6 hours.........................????

They open the gate at 2pm, sharp, for collections the following day.

You can apply any day Monday to Friday, you collect the next day except Friday applications, you collect on Monday.

locked the gate yesterday at 2pm

1 minute ago, dirtybirty said:

locked the gate yesterday at 2pm

That is a first for me. The last time I was there, a few Russians wondered off for a beer, left one behind, the gate chap, said something about locking the gate at 11, the Russian was pleading to wait for his chums, they were locked out to return another day.....????

59 minutes ago, transam said:

That is a first for me. The last time I was there, a few Russians wondered off for a beer, left one behind, the gate chap, said something about locking the gate at 11, the Russian was pleading to wait for his chums, they were locked out to return another day.....????

loads of them there yesterday causing mayhem. but locking the gate at 2pm confused me also. as per their website hours 9-11 ect. they didn't even close the 1 open window for lunch

loads of them there yesterday causing mayhem. but locking the gate at 2pm confused me also. as per their website hours 9-11 ect. they didn't even close the 1 open window for lunch

They open the gate for collections at 2pm, very strange, and a bummer for those queuing to collect....????

opened the gate at 1.30pm for collection today . all completely diff to web site details . 

Yes, strange, I have been there a dozen times in the past, with no changes.

Be good if they reverted to the time when you handed your stuff in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. Sadly that didn't last long, I think the hotels gave them some grief.......????

8 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, strange, I have been there a dozen times in the past, with no changes.

Be good if they reverted to the time when you handed your stuff in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. Sadly that didn't last long, I think the hotels gave them some grief.......????

I think that ended (long ago) when they were unable to handle the volume with same day service. Frankly, I think there is a danger that they will institute a system like Penang where they limit the number of applications per day, and imply close the gate when that daily limit is reached. In my view, they have tried very hard to avoid inconveniencing applicants, but the situation there Mondays and Thursdays does not seem sustainable.