Burmese Worker Perish as Trailer Truck Brake Failure Results in Fatal Impalement

webfact

image.jpeg

A horrifying incident took place as three Burmese workers were seated on a steel beam atop a trailer truck, delivering supplies for a dam construction project. During braking, the beam shifted and impaled the workers, accompanied by a broken air brake hose. The police are expediting the investigation to gather evidence for potential charges.

On June 21, 2023, around 4:00 PM, Captain Channat Yangnok of the Phoekaeo Police Station received a report regarding the fatal impalement of workers. The incident occurred near Wat Om Yai in Samphran District, Nakhon Pathom Province. Captain Channat Yangnok promptly arrived at the scene accompanied by medical personnel from Samphran Hospital and the Potetkung Foundation.

At the accident site, a 22-wheel Hino trailer truck with license plate 71-1139 Samut Prakan was parked, hauling two 45-meter long, 22-inch diameter steel beams. Between the end of the beam and the truck's cab, the lifeless body of one worker was found. The victim, Mr. Kaw Ped Ang, a 19-year-old Burmese national, suffered a pierced left leg from the broken air brake hose, reported Siam Rath.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

According to the 40-year-old driver, Mr. Kraiwut Boonsuk, he was transporting the steel beams from Wat Om Yai to a construction contractor near the Tha Chin River, approximately 300 meters away. Three workers, including the deceased, were seated on the beams. When braking on a curved section of the road, the victim fell onto the truck bed, resulting in impalement by the steel pillar.

The tragic incident was caused by the fall and the broken air brake hose. The police gathered photographic evidence and summoned the driver and witnesses for further interrogation and coordination with the forensic investigation team regarding the examination of the involved vehicle for ongoing legal proceedings.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-06-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The tragic incident was caused by the fall and the broken air brake hose.

Wrong.

It was caused by the workers riding on the back of the vehicle, and not sitting inside the truck on seats with belts on?

I refuse to believe the beams are 45 metres long.

I think the beams are concrete not steel

The article is contradictory in that it states the beams shifted under braking and then attrubutes the cause to a broken air hose.

Jeez, Have I nothing better to do with my day.? (Wanders off muttering.......)

• 2 weeks later...

Brain failure as usual.

It's only 300 m so why waste time with securing the load.

And if so why should I drive extremely slow and careful so that there is no need to break for a curve!!?

Idiot driver/company responsibles.

Edited by KhunBENQ