Solar Home Systems

Skipalongcassidy

If you don't score here in the local forum, drop me a PM and we can move to the Alternative Energy forum where more solar users will see the thread.

Have you done any consumption measurements to determine just how much solar and how much storage you would need? Useful as a baseline, even if you intend getting your contractor to size the system. 

As a starting point I suggest reading your meter at 9AM and 5PM every day for a week or two. That would give you a day/night consumption figure. The night consumption will allow you to size your batteries.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am very happy with North Solar Rooftop. They come from Lampang but installed many solar systems in Chiang Mai. Good advice, good after service and good price.

They have installed a solar system in my house and were very flexible with my extra wishes.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fnsr-solar.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2pnObKhgMk0eeYGCDCw4SyQHyWYwfFJIgDWSVgsbfSw1BBHUil3Oi8nWM&h=AT2eY057RhLC6d2oh_TglUUwIocxZ2yWYyweoBiVbyIG0zlLfdgsNqSkWg1n8ZHoaPIJSYVTp7Zlp3nCVkaWa248roWDPWGwy6RRzKGGGk0d0d92S4-sNTcPsqsdZv75Z16sSw

Phone number for an english speaking technician 0850905458, name Chon 

Thanks for all of the replies... I am finding that solar is very expensive in Thailand compared to the USA... Not only is the equipment expensive but the installation labor is ridiculously high... to top it off the Thai gov't and electric companies do not want you to be solar Independent... their buy rate is extremely low and is non existent if you add batteries to the mix... where most of the world is offering incentives to go solar, Thailand is not.

First step.  Check usage,  cost,  and workout payback period.  Think you'll find a 20 year payback period for an average 5kw ish system. It's just not worth it.  I installed one small system that has no batteries.  Just works during sunshine.  Used a hivolt inverter(4kbht) that takes the 10 panel (45kbht) 400 v  and uses that to go to 240ac. My decision wasn't based on saving money but just as a one time hobby project in Thailand for my partners mother.  It's enough to run fridge TV AC fans rice cooker during sun times.  Reverts to street power at night via a mixing board. 

I would not recommend solar for any other reason than just because of hobbying with electronics.  Solar systems are too expensive in Thailand.  There is no government support worth mentioning about.  You are just adding more equipment that can fail.  The pro of saving money is just not there.  Sure it sounds cool and all but not worth it money wise. 

But for a hobby and interests sake.  Go for it. 

And Of course if no street power at your area then you have no choice but to do it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Thanks for all of the replies... I am finding that solar is very expensive in Thailand compared to the USA... Not only is the equipment expensive but the installation labor is ridiculously high... to top it off the Thai gov't and electric companies do not want you to be solar Independent... their buy rate is extremely low and is non existent if you add batteries to the mix... where most of the world is offering incentives to go solar, Thailand is not.

Depends where & who is selling the system.  I priced our system vs USA (Philly tri-state area) and USA was 2-3X more expensive.   Will agree, no incentive here/TH, quite the opposite, and if ever getting buy back, quite the silly low rate.

Powers in charge, still not ready to give up their grip on controlling the energy supply in TH.

Edited by KhunLA

~ 6 year payback for my 10kw/3phase/hybrid system installed.  (no Li battery just yet)

Eyekandy was OTT with their pricing, nice gear, but .... :shock1:

Huawei 3kw (no battery) system installed by TNS costs 189,000 and would suit most folk

11 minutes ago, McTavish said:

~ 6 year payback for my 10kw/3phase/hybrid system installed.  (no Li battery just yet)

Eyekandy was OTT with their pricing, nice gear, but .... :shock1:

Huawei 3kw (no battery) system installed by TNS costs 189,000 and would suit most folk

Can you show the calculations.  That seems too good to be true here in thailand. 

55 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Can you show the calculations.  That seems too good to be true here in thailand. 

System @ 240,000 /72 = 3,333bt per month on daytime consumption with pool/irrigation pumps + house.

(doesn't allow for non productive cloudy days)

With 5kw LiFePo battery payback = 6.75 years

i would suggest you figure out exactly what you want before contacting any company
the installation is expensive if they have experience with solar
dont be sold a cheap system
make sure you know what brands you want or will accept
i imported my batteries as could not find decent here
FYI, felicity solar the company i bought from now have a BKK office so shipping is quick, inveters and batteries

how many units are you currently using, whats your monthly bill?
when do you use electric the most?
for hybrid you have 2 options, max out panels/inverter and spin back the grid meter as much as possible in day (not advised)
or spend less on panels/inverter and add a battery
you can add battery upto about 5-6x the PV
i just added an extra battery to my setup, have 3 x 5kw inverters with 60kw battery but i am offgrid
so you could put a 3kw inverter with upto a 15kw battery, which would likely be about ideal for battery longevity

Edited by patman30

2 hours ago, McTavish said:

System @ 240,000 /72 = 3,333bt per month on daytime consumption with pool/irrigation pumps + house.

(doesn't allow for non productive cloudy days)

With 5kw LiFePo battery payback = 6.75 years

Have you compared previous bills with bills after solar installed?  That would be your saving. Are you saying you are paying 3000 baht less a month now for power? 

On 6/28/2023 at 1:50 AM, TimeMachine said:

First step.  Check usage,  cost,  and workout payback period.  Think you'll find a 20 year payback period for an average 5kw ish system. It's just not worth it.  I installed one small system that has no batteries.  Just works during sunshine.  Used a hivolt inverter(4kbht) that takes the 10 panel (45kbht) 400 v  and uses that to go to 240ac. My decision wasn't based on saving money but just as a one time hobby project in Thailand for my partners mother.  It's enough to run fridge TV AC fans rice cooker during sun times.  Reverts to street power at night via a mixing board. 

I would not recommend solar for any other reason than just because of hobbying with electronics.  Solar systems are too expensive in Thailand.  There is no government support worth mentioning about.  You are just adding more equipment that can fail.  The pro of saving money is just not there.  Sure it sounds cool and all but not worth it money wise. 

But for a hobby and interests sake.  Go for it. 

And Of course if no street power at your area then you have no choice but to do it. 

Most sensible advice thank you. Our house is unoccupied during daylight hours. We have a family friend electrician who charges us 300 baht labour per day (we always give him several times that of course). Even with 2 baht per unit Feed In Tariff it doesn't make sense for us. My house in UK has a completely free 'Rent a Roof' PV installation which gives me unrestricted daytime use. Overall, a one-third reduction in my electricity bills. Feed in Tariff not payable to me of course.  

Edited by The Fugitive