MYUSA.COM For shipping to Thailand

bhatmasterson

8 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I haven’t used that, but I have used shipito.com and I find them very good, but it’s an expensive service, it’s much cheaper to acquire whatever you want here or from China

Thanks. I kind of figured that to be the case.

I used them exactly once. I discovered they will open, inspect, and photograph your products before shipping them onward. You'll need to be comfortable with that. They also will NOT adjust the shipping invoice on request - whatever you paid for the product gets passed on to Thailand customs. Plus their shipping fees are surprisingly high. So I saved a couple bucks on sales tax in the USA, but on the Thailand end I had to pay the courier full duty, VAT, plus assorted misc. fees. These shipping services have very specific niche use only, best I can tell. Not for me tho.

Frankly, if the product can be ordered from Amazon.com direct to Thailand, do it. It will be faster, cheaper, more secure, and zero hassle.

Edited by clokwise
  • Like 1

Have anything shipped here from the US by any method is expensive. If I can’t find it on shoppie, lazada then I’ll search the internet Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong and Japan usually with luck. Otherwise I wait for the next trip to the states.

There are dozens and dozens of Thais living in the USA that offer this service very cheap. We've had large boxes of things sent to us for no more than 500-600 Baht. When it arrives in Bangkok, it is forwarded on by the local postal service. No taxes of any kind are involved.

Edited by elektrified
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, elektrified said:

There are dozens and dozens of Thais living in the USA that offer this service very cheap. We've had large boxes of things sent to us for no more than 500-600 Baht. When it arrives in Bangkok, it is forwarded on by the local postal service. No taxes of any kind are involved.

This sounds useful to some but I have family who can do this for me. Are you saying it's somehow less expensive through one of the Thai services? If so could you forward contact info please? I'm inquiring because I'm trying to find the least expensive way to receive packages here in Chiang Mai. Thanks for your input!

On 6/23/2023 at 8:41 AM, clokwise said:

I used them exactly once. I discovered they will open, inspect, and photograph your products before shipping them onward. You'll need to be comfortable with that. They also will NOT adjust the shipping invoice on request - whatever you paid for the product gets passed on to Thailand customs. Plus their shipping fees are surprisingly high. So I saved a couple bucks on sales tax in the USA, but on the Thailand end I had to pay the courier full duty, VAT, plus assorted misc. fees. These shipping services have very specific niche use only, best I can tell. Not for me tho.

Frankly, if the product can be ordered from Amazon.com direct to Thailand, do it. It will be faster, cheaper, more secure, and zero hassle.

Thanks! I opened an account and then closed it 45 minutes later after reading negative reviews similar to this one. Cheers

With Planet Express this doesn't happen. You enter the customs value on a new label. They can repackage also.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:37 AM, novacova said:

Have anything shipped here from the US by any method is expensive. If I can’t find it on shoppie, lazada then I’ll search the internet Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong and Japan usually with luck. Otherwise I wait for the next trip to the states.

No... not necessarily so...

For many years, I used Shipito and more recently Planet Express to send Amazon and other packages here, lately running about $12 per pound (about $25 per kilo) using their economy airmail (least expensive) shipping method.

But starting last fall, my Planet Express packages regularly started never arriving here to my address in BKK, even though I'd gone years without ever missing a package from them. So something changed, dunno what, because the tracking on that method basically ends once the package has arrived into Thailand. So no way to nail down or address just where things were going wrong.

But my point is, in the wake of that, I ended up finding and now for some months using a Thai service called WeShippingUSA, which offers both air and sea shipments to Thailand, with the weight based prices you pay including all/any taxes and customs duty, meaning you always know the final, real price upfront simply by calculating the actual weight.

I've been regularly using their sea shipping service for some months now, which runs 300 baht ($9 USD) per kilo of package weight, and typically takes about 2 months from U.S. departure to home delivery here, usually by EMS mail as a small added cost. Every package I've ordered has arrived intact and without anything going missing or arriving damaged, etc etc.

https://www.facebook.com/WeShippingUSA/

Because I no longer have to worry about staying under the $50 valuation limit for Thai Customs' small package duty exemption policy, I've been ordering larger and more expensive items than I used to in the past, where those kinds of packages would often attract unpredictable add-on costs of extra VAT and/or customs duty.

WeShippingUSA has been working out a great economical option for US to Thailand shipments, especially if you can think to order ahead and plan for the extra time involved in sea shipping.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mokwit said:

With Planet Express this doesn't happen. You enter the customs value on a new label. They can repackage also.

I've never used them, however it is illegal to make a false statement on a customs form, so what they are doing is legally questionable. I would be concerned they might get shut down at some point because of that. MyUS inspects items, requires receipts, and does all the shipping docs to avoid any such issues. One thing I would say in defense of MyUS in particular is that you can order stuff to their address with $0 US state sales tax, most if not all of the other reshipping services can't offer that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, clokwise said:

MyUS in particular is that you can order stuff to their address with $0 US state sales tax

30 minutes ago, clokwise said:

so what they are doing is legally questionable. I would be concerned they might get shut down at some point because of that

I didn't find that case. I have previously used Shipito because Amazon only delivered my laptop product to a US address at the time. That went well, I got a tax free laptop to Thailand from Shipito with 7% import fees ontop of my declared cost and Fedex fee, about 120USD extra in my case door to door inside 5 days.

The next time Amazon was shipping direct to Thailand so I chose them for the next laptop. I had to pay Amazon taxes and delivery fees for Thailand without choice of courier and it was an extra 200USD. The courier Amazon appointed was UPS and on arrival at BKK cargo airport UPS had a policy of not releasing anything until I went in person, or appointed rep, with passport as ID, so that wasted some time and would have been very inconvenient had I been based upcountry. 

Next time I will revert to Shipito.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clokwise said:

I've never used them, however it is illegal to make a false statement on a customs form, so what they are doing is legally questionable. I would be concerned they might get shut down at some point because of that. MyUS inspects items, requires receipts, and does all the shipping docs to avoid any such issues. One thing I would say in defense of MyUS in particular is that you can order stuff to their address with $0 US state sales tax, most if not all of the other reshipping services can't offer that.

Separate from import duties,  major reason for doing it on a new form  is to ensure the correct classification labeling for Thai customs e.g a computer graphics card - I f I label it as "computer part" it (correctly) gets treated as such - if someone labels it as "video card" as many sellers would, we may now be classified as broadcasting equipment and different duty or even import license required (hypothetical example to make the point).

Agree, questionable and unclear where the liability lies. May be more likely that the person who is making the declaration is doing something illegal - not sure where the liability would lie - If someone makes a false declaration I would not think it was the courier who was held liable, although I have had packages opened, presumably by the courier. No sales tax with planet express if you pay $10/month for Oregon(?) warehouse shipping.

Edited by mokwit

6 hours ago, clokwise said:

I would say in defense of MyUS in particular is that you can order stuff to their address with $0 US state sales tax, most if not all of the other reshipping services can't offer that.

Planet Express  has a no sales tax address in Oregon, as do various other reshippers.

But at least in the case of PE, their shipping rates out of Oregon, at least for their economy airmail, are higher than they would be if the customer ordered to and they reshipped out of their main location in Southern California. (Because for international shipments, they end up having to send the item back from Oregon to Los Angeles to be sent abroad.)

So whether the Oregon no sales tax issue is a benefit or not, in their case, depends on the valuation of the package. For lower value items, it won't make economic sense because the sales tax amount would be small and outweighed by the higher shipping rates. But it might be a benefit for higher value / lower weight packages.

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

Separate from import duties,  major reason for doing it on a new form  is to ensure the correct classification labeling for Thai customs e.g a computer graphics card - I f I label it as "computer part" it (correctly) gets treated as such - if someone labels it as "video card" as many sellers would, we may now be classified as broadcasting equipment and different duty or even import license required (hypothetical example to make the point).

One of the nice things about reshipping with WeShippingUSA is, whether by sea or air, you no longer have to care or worry what duties or taxes Thai Customs might assess against your package or how they might classify (or misclassify) it.

The price you pay, and the only price you pay, is their strictly weight-based flat rates for air and sea shipping. I have no idea what goes on between them and Thai Customs, and I happily no longer need to care, as that doesn't impact the price I pay nor have any risk of the package getting hung up in Customs.

FWIW, with WSU, the customer also doesn't fill out any customs info at any point in the process. WSU opens the package and takes a photo/photos of the contents... But what they do with that and how it gets reported to Customs, again, becomes irrelevant for the end customer.

The only thing I need to provide WSU for each package is to send them the original package tracking number to their Facebook Messenger account. And then do a Thai bank transfer to pay for the shipment when it's ready to be delivered here in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I didn't find that case. I have previously used Shipito because Amazon only delivered my laptop product to a US address at the time. That went well, I got a tax free laptop to Thailand from Shipito with 7% import fees ontop of my declared cost and Fedex fee, about 120USD extra in my case door to door inside 5 days.

The next time Amazon was shipping direct to Thailand so I chose them for the next laptop. I had to pay Amazon taxes and delivery fees for Thailand without choice of courier and it was an extra 200USD. The courier Amazon appointed was UPS and on arrival at BKK cargo airport UPS had a policy of not releasing anything until I went in person, or appointed rep, with passport as ID, so that wasted some time and would have been very inconvenient had I been based upcountry. 

Next time I will revert to Shipito.

Agreed, with laptops in particular the Amazon shipping costs plus local duties seem to be all over the map. You can browse Amazon and find wildly different rates for relatively similar products. The whole point of paying Amazon for everything in advance is so you won't get stuck with UPS demanding you come visit them. In the past 5(?) years since they started that program I have had plenty of Amazon parcels delivered here, several by UPS, and never had an issue. You must have some bad luck, that's just not supposed to happen at all. I've found with about half the orders I've made with Amazon they eventually refunded some of that fee back to me. Not a lot , but I won't complain.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the nice things about reshipping with WeShippingUSA is, whether by sea or air, you no longer have to care or worry what duties or taxes Thai Customs might assess against your package or how they might classify (or misclassify) it.

The price you pay, and the only price you pay, is their strictly weight-based flat rates for air and sea shipping. I have no idea what goes on between them and Thai Customs, and I happily no longer need to care, as that doesn't impact the price I pay nor have any risk of the package getting hung up in Customs.

That sounds like an awesome service, although I'd hate to be on the receiving end when Customs decides to do their job, or didn't get their bribe, that day.

23 minutes ago, clokwise said:

That sounds like an awesome service, although I'd hate to be on the receiving end when Customs decides to do their job, or didn't get their bribe, that day.

Customs might very well be doing their job.  Like any other government department or business that has to deal with a huge task volume along with complex rules and  limited manpower to process it all, they may make agreements that while not assessing every single item, follows a process that guarantees customs close to the amount of revenue they would expect to generate if the processes were enforced.  A percentage of items will get through not paying what they would have paid but overall, everybody gets what they want.

4 hours ago, clokwise said:

WSA guarantees that the only price you'll pay is their flat weight-based rates... So if someone at Thai Customs is having a bad hair day, that's between Customs and WSA...and doesn't involve me the end customer.

Also, unlike the other shippers mentioned above, WSA isn't sending individual packages, AFAIK. They're aggregating packages from different of their customers into large shipping containers, and sending them by air or ship en masse. I suspect, those get a different kind of Customs oversight vs the individual packages sent directly via USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Shipito and more recently Planet Express to send Amazon and other packages here, lately running about $12 per pound (about $25 per kilo) using their economy airmail (least expensive) shipping method.

???? thanks, I’ll give it a look 

5 hours ago, novacova said:

???? thanks, I’ll give it a look 

As I mentioned above, after using them steadily for several years, I've now stopped using PE entirely... because starting since last fall, any packages I send with them via their airmail service have a better than even chance of never arriving to me... and no way to track down how or why.

And  that's, inexplicably, after sending more than 300 packages with them thru the years and never having one  go missing.... until things went south starting last fall.

Perhaps I got a new Customs staff assigned to handle the incoming packages headed for my address....like the following:

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 6:37 PM, bhatmasterson said:

This sounds useful to some but I have family who can do this for me. Are you saying it's somehow less expensive through one of the Thai services? If so could you forward contact info please? I'm inquiring because I'm trying to find the least expensive way to receive packages here in Chiang Mai. Thanks for your input!

We always found this service through ads in the newspaper "Siam Town USA" (on-line now also), which is in L.A. or in the facebook groups related to Thais living in L.A., Chicago and so forth. We haven't needed anything or made any orders since Covid but it's always been a popular service. It takes about a month to get to Bangkok (shared load), and from there, usually relatives will forward the orders all over the Kingdom.

On 7/3/2023 at 11:45 AM, MartinBKK said:

I used them and my import fees were more than the value of the goods. When i got in touch to try to understand what was going on they were not interested in helping. I wont be using them again.

By your reference to "them", are you referring to MyUSA, or any of the other shipping services mentioned in the thread?