Phuket airport limo firm fined for taking passengers on tour shop detours

snoop1130

How about removing them from the airport.  They'll just find new drivers to do the same thing.  Or even more likely is the old drivers will still be driving without a license anyway.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stoner said:

the scary part is that they don't care or even comprehend that this continues to make them look like clowns. 

Do you mean the Cops or the Limo company :cheesy: 

its been going on for decades.

• Like 2

The minibuses used to be the worst. They'd take you to a tour shop on the pretext the driver had to check in with the bosses, and try to sell hotel bookings, for those that didn't have one and in some cases to those that did on the pretext that the booked hotel was rat-infested, closed down or didn't exist. They'd also sell tours with a 10% discount on the brochure price (you'd get 50% in resort). 

I have no idea if this still goes on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, snoop1130 said:

Phuket tourist police say the detours are a violation of the terms governing the company’s concession to operate at the airport.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, snoop1130 said:

The firm’s office is located just south of the airport.

So, which is it?

The photo looks like the kiosk I use just to the right as you exit international baggage reclaim/customs.

6 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

So, which is it?

The photo looks like the kiosk I use just to the right as you exit international baggage reclaim/customs.

The photo is the kiosk at the airport, their office is just to the south of the airport.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The photo is the kiosk at the airport, their office is just to the south of the airport.

Thanks for the clarification stevenl - a shame the OP story wasn't so precise.

I've used that kiosk several times without any problems - but maybe that's because I'm a solo traveller and rent a limo rather than a shuttle and so am not as commercially viable for a detour.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:39 AM, hotchilli said:

Decades.. nuff said.

Also in Bkk. Take a taxi or Tuk Tuk on a local trip and suddenly find yourself inside a compound with high walls/gate, and gates closed. It's an unpleasant dirty jewelry shop with high pressure to buy, insistance to buy to get out of the compound.

Also (false) pleading from the taxi/tuk tuk driver for the passenger to buy some jewelery; "If you don't buy they will damage my vehicle".

It happened to me once, 3 decades back. I then instructed my office mngr to quickly find a reliable driver with a car not marked as a taxi, for all my transport needs.

We used the same guy for maybe 15 years and paid him well, then he retired but his son took over, also very pleasant and reliable. 

• Like 2

Shameful.

Six high ranking police officers, for a case of trying to get people to 'willfully' buy goods, to boost someone's income.

Lack of safety on the roads remains the same.

Talking about trying to boost someone's income, my son on a one month holiday here last May, got stopped 6 times on one day, on a 20 km trip. He gathered that it was about trying to boost someone's income.

He got stopped typically twice a day....

Shameful as it is.....

On 6/23/2023 at 8:27 AM, rwill said:

How about removing them from the airport.  They'll just find new drivers to do the same thing.  Or even more likely is the old drivers will still be driving without a license anyway.

Fine the company enough that it goes into failure and bankruptcy and also fine the principals enough that they can never restart a business. Punishment and set the pace so that others don't just do the same thing because they are very frightened of the law. 

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Thai tourists also get fleeced by these taxi crooks or do they offer them reasonable fares?

in Bangkok at night it's difficult to get a taxi i was with my wife and her friend we waited for ages to get a taxi they don't want to turn on the meter, with Thais the have to.