Schools

54 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why is it that every year children have to submit their parents ID card number, their address and passport details at their schools request? I find it somewhat intrusive.

We dont have to do that. That is not for all schools obviously. We know the School Director but this is not the reason I think.

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can school your kid so they can go to university?

Yes, but you must be enrolled in an official home school program, either local (Thai) or foreign as school is compulsory. The child has to take official tests every year according to the official program. I know that in Thailand they are strict and only test according to the child's age level so you can't test for MY level if you're 14 and supposed to be M2 level.

I am speaking here now in general about passport request, not just schools.  As most Thais dont understand English having a look at your passport is the easiest way to learn or copy down your full name.  As English speakers this is all solved in a couple of sentences 'whats your name?"  'oh ok what can I do for you?'.  Easy!   And as expats we all tend to carry our passports, copies of, or DL's etc with our name in English.

For the school, I find its a Thai thing.  From way back when I applied for the job here from my home country, it seemed like every 5 minutes they wanted copies of my passport as well as loads of photos.  Every time visa/work permit renewal came up it was more photos and passport copies but like 2 or 3 times as many officially required on the paperwork.  It remains a puzzle where they all went but we used to joke that they were sold off on the dark web for sham online dating agencies in Nigeria lol!

There may also be other facets to consider.

By Law Thai Students (or students registered as Thai) have to study Thai for xx hrs per week, whereas  there is no such requirement on non-Thai students - this impacts international schools who study in English (or a primary language other than Thai).

Initially, we registered our Son has Thai and English and he was accepted into his School under the 'English quota' but still registered as Thai and English, until 'choice' of languages (learning modern foreign languages) became an issue.

As he was registered as Thai (Thai and English) one of his 'choice' languages had to be Thai, so he could only study one other MFL. He wanted to study both Thai and Spanish but was only permitted one. 

Solution - We re-registered him as English only so that he was not forced to study Thai as one of his 'language choices'. 

Its an international school... so all classes are in English and the standard of Thai Language is by far 'sub-par' for his 'dual nationality status' as he is studying alongside 100% non-Thai children, thus the better option has always been to study extra curricular Thai outside of School. 

So...  One of the reasons Passport Details 'may' be required is establish IF the child is 100% or fits another criteria for 'government stipulated language learning objectives'.

We were fortunate that the school was flexible enough to allow the switch to 100% Non-Thai - my letter addressing the issue also dropped quite the hammer on the standards / level of the Thai Language education and that my son was getting nothing from it. 

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

And as expats we all tend to carry our passports, copies of, or DL's etc with our name in English.

Please don't include me in your 'we'.

Your English passport is in a 'non-English' language, the name on your DL is not in English ???

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...