Combination method for "O" visa extension based on retirement

I am keen to hear of any recent experiences from people who have used this method at Hua hin Immigration Office.

I have been bringing over from the UK via Wise approx 40k baht every month for the last year. I have slightly in excess of 800k in a Thai bank. I would like to reduce the burden of keeping 800k in the bank for the 5 months that 800k is required (2 months before and 3 months after the visa extension application) and see if I can extend the visa extension with 400k in the bank and 40k transferred each and every month.  I have previously used the 800k baht method for my previous visa extensions

I am interested to know what is the minimum amount I need to keep in the bank throughout the year and of course what are the rules relating to this method.

I certainly plan to visit my Immigration Office to hear the Chapter and Verse, but would like to be forewarned prior to my visit.

Thanks in advance.

My IO in Phitsanulok accepts 40k a month, plus 350k in the bank. I have never asked if this can be dropped by 50% for 5 months a year!

Edited by KannikaP

55 minutes ago, bilbo52 said:

I certainly plan to visit my Immigration Office to hear the Chapter and Verse, but would like to be forewarned prior to my visit.

This is what you need to do.

Go to HH immigration office.

I looked through past threads and can confirm reports of combo method being accepted at HH.

Vaguely recall ubonjoe suggesting that monthly income equalling 400k for the year and the additional 400k for the required 2 months prior and 3 months post application being the recommended combo.

They won't be happy. More work.

This link is short but posts confirm possible combo at HH

https://aseannow.com/topic/1262900-renew-retirement-non-o-combination-method/

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, bilbo52 said:

I will visit the Immigration office and find out what they have to say.

Thinking good idea for combo, is to use monthly  income transfers that cover 400k p.a and use the 400k money in bank for the required months. 

Two prior and 3 post application. 

Edited by DrJack54

My experience at Cha-am IM office, and in conversation with Hua Hin IM office, is that only 800K in bank is accepted. I renewed my extension of stay-retirement last month and only the 800K was allowed. I deposit, via Wise, more than the 65K/month that should be accepted but is not. This has been my experience for 3 years.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TucsonDavid said:

My experience at Cha-am IM office, and in conversation with Hua Hin IM office, is that only 800K in bank is accepted. I renewed my extension of stay-retirement last month and only the 800K was allowed. I deposit, via Wise, more than the 65K/month that should be accepted but is not. This has been my experience for 3 years.

I don’t understand why a published income method is not accepted.

Are you suggesting that EVERYONE using Hua Hin immigration office can only use the money in the bank method?

On 6/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, DrJack54 said:

Vaguely recall ubonjoe suggesting that monthly income equalling 400k for the year and the additional 400k for the required 2 months prior and 3 months post application being the recommended combo.

I am certainly not sure, but to my recollection when it comes to a "combo", there is NO need to have any money at all locked down in a bank-account more than just that particular day you apply for the 1 year retirement extension.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

I am certainly not sure, but to my recollection when it comes to a "combo", there is NO need to have any money at all locked down in a bank-account more than just that particular day you apply for the 1 year retirement extension.

Explained by ubonjoe in first post of this thread

https://aseannow.com/topic/1104150-combination-method-for-retirement-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=14204097

In response to TucsonDaves post I have been using the 65000 in the bank ( monthly) at Huahin for the last four years I provide credit advise papers - supplied by the bank on demand - and the other required paperwork.

As for the combination method I asked Taptalk ( the Huahin Forum) if this would be accepted but there was no response so I continued with the 65000 method. I wanted to know if anyone had success with this before attempting this method and possibly being rejected. I am wary of advice from the office given over the phone.I live a long way from the office and would have had to return a day later with a re- done bank letter were my application to be rejected

22 hours ago, bilbo52 said:

Thanks to Dr Jack and KannikaP, very useful information. I will visit the Immigration office and find out what they have to say.

Thanks again.

See if they have a printed list also, then if you do have probs. 

"here is the list you gave me"

It could also help others in the future by posting it on here,

I only have the one from Trat IO. It does not even mention the combo method as far as i can understand it.1227268801_RETIREVISA(2).JPG.94d6d3c322b25b6386ce6f7c4b94f438.thumb.jpg.e36bebdf56c0d8abc9955bcc495ff3bd.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking good idea for combo, is to use monthly  income transfers that cover 400k p.a and use the 400k money in bank for the required months. 

Two prior and 3 post application. 

That is incorrect advice.

When using the combination method of monthly overseas transfers and funds in a Thai bank, totalling 800K THB, the funds are subject to the same rules as for using the 800K in a Thai bank method. i.e. The funds must be maintained for 2 months prior to and 3 months after the extension is granted, then funds can be withdrawn under the same criteria as when using the 800K method.

If you are using 400K funds, then you may be permitted to withdraw half, 3 months after the extension is granted, leaving 200K for the remainder of the year, or at certain IO's they insist you must maintain a minimum of 400K throughout the year.
The interpretation varies at IO's due to the ambiguously worded order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I only have the one from Trat IO. It does not even mention the combo method as far as i can understand it.

The criteria for using the combo method is listed in order 654-2564.

Read clause 4 and 5.

RTP-Order-No.654-2564-1RevisingClause2.22oforder327-2014 (1).pdf

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Read clause 4 and 5.

RTP-Order-No.654-2564-1RevisingClause2.22oforder327-2014 (1).pdf 1.49 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for that, 

(but as we know every IO make there own rules)

Edited by brianthainess

16 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Read clause 4 and 5.

RTP-Order-No.654-2564-1RevisingClause2.22oforder327-2014 (1).pdf 1.49 MB · 3 downloads

It is useful to have a copy of that order which (theoretically) immigration offices are supposed to follow. Just recognise that many offices prefer to ignore it.

18 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Read clause 4 and 5.

RTP-Order-No.654-2564-1RevisingClause2.22oforder327-2014 (1).pdf 1.49 MB · 4 downloads

So what are the rules in my case then???? I have a yearly income of 660.000 baht confirmed by my embassy, and then I have 200.000 baht in my thai bank-account.... Still 2 month before and 3 months after???

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

So what are the rules in my case then???? I have a yearly income of 660.000 baht confirmed by my embassy, and then I have 200.000 baht in my thai bank-account.... Still 2 month before and 3 months after???

Using the combo method, I'm not sure Immigration would accept an Embassy Income letter for only 660K Income.

The rule was always an Embassy letter confirming an income of no less than 65,000K per month, OR 12 x monthly overseas transfers deposited in a Thai bank and funds deposited in a Thai bank totalling 800K per annum.

For the funds part, those using the 800K must provide evidence of the 800K being deposited in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to, and for 3 months after the extension is granted. They can then withdraw from said amount, but must leave a remaining balance of no less than 400K in the account.
i.e. 800K for 5 months, 400K for 7 months.
From order 654/2564;
Criteria for consideration.

Clause 4).  At least 2 months prior to the filing date and 3 months after being granted permission, an alien must have a deposit in a commercial bank located in Thailand of no less than 800, 000 Baht. After being granted permission for 3 months, an alien can withdraw said deposit and must have the remaining balance in the bank account of no less than 400,000 Baht.

When using the combo method, the same rule applies to the funds part, just the same as it does if purely using funds.
Clause 5). An alien must have an annual income and a deposit in a commercial bank located in Thailand with total sum of no less than 800,000 baht as of the filing date. The said deposit must maintain in the bank account prior to and after the permission is granted and the withdrawal can be made under the same conditions in the criterion 4).

The contentious and often misinterpreted part here, in clause 5, is ''and the withdrawal can be made under the same conditions in the criterion 4''.

It basically infers you can withdraw half of the funds, or at least that is how many expats and Immigration officials interpret it, ............... but that isn't what it actually states, the important line in clause 4 being ''and must have the remaining balance in the bank account of no less than 400,000 Baht''.

That feature isn't missed by my IO, who insist that when applying using the combo method, the minium funds balance must be 400K and that balance must be maintained throughout the year, to comply with clause 4.
I'm not suggesting that is correct, this is how fickle and ambiguously written these orders actually are.

If you're getting away with 200, 300, or 350K funds (as I've read), using the combo method, then my advice would be not to create waves.

Edited by Liquorice

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Using the combo method, I'm not sure Immigration would accept an Embassy Income letter for only 660K Income.

The rule was always an Embassy letter confirming an income of no less than 65,000K per month, OR 12 x monthly overseas transfers deposited in a Thai bank and funds deposited in a Thai bank totalling 800K per annum.

For the funds part, those using the 800K must provide evidence of the 800K being deposited in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to, and for 3 months after the extension is granted. They can then withdraw from said amount, but must leave a remaining balance of no less than 400K in the account.
i.e. 800K for 5 months, 400K for 7 months.
From order 654/2564;
Criteria for consideration.

Clause 4).  At least 2 months prior to the filing date and 3 months after being granted permission, an alien must have a deposit in a commercial bank located in Thailand of no less than 800, 000 Baht. After being granted permission for 3 months, an alien can withdraw said deposit and must have the remaining balance in the bank account of no less than 400,000 Baht.

When using the combo method, the same rule applies to the funds part, just the same as it does if purely using funds.
Clause 5). An alien must have an annual income and a deposit in a commercial bank located in Thailand with total sum of no less than 800,000 baht as of the filing date. The said deposit must maintain in the bank account prior to and after the permission is granted and the withdrawal can be made under the same conditions in the criterion 4).

The contentious and often misinterpreted part here, in clause 5, is ''and the withdrawal can be made under the same conditions in the criterion 4''.

It basically infers you can withdraw half of the funds, or at least that is how many expats and Immigration officials interpret it, ............... but that isn't what it actually states, the important line in clause 4 being ''and must have the remaining balance in the bank account of no less than 400,000 Baht''.

That feature isn't missed by my IO, who insist that when applying using the combo method, the minium funds balance must be 400K and that balance must be maintained throughout the year, to comply with clause 4.
I'm not suggesting that is correct, this is how fickle and ambiguously written these orders actually are.

If you're getting away with 200, 300, or 350K funds (as I've read), using the combo method, then my advice would be not to create waves.

Actually the correct answer to my question is that there is absolutely NO limit to a income-letter, no limit at all, I do not know what you get that from.... That is why it is being called a "combo" in the first place Incomeletter+money in the bank. I guess after that some of your embassies; AU, UK and US betrayed you guys, and stopped the income-letter, the word "combo" is being used when it comes to you different bank-alternatives instead.....

19 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

Still 2 month before and 3 months after???

It wasn't me that stated the funds for a combo only had to remain in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior and 3 months after the extension is granted.

I stated the 'funds' element when using the combo method would at least in part have to remain in a Thai bank account for the duration of the year.