Very very basic info needed.

thoengthaied

I am far from a novice on computers but I need some basic info please....I had used a Windows computer and laptop at home in UK from 2000 to 2004 when I retired and left for warmer climes, and I was used to using them. When I arrived in Thailand I needed a new laptop and saw a Chromebook advertised on Craigslist (new at around 6,000 baht) so I did some research on Chromebooks and finally bought it. It seemed, and was, a powerful machine with 15 inch screen and very cheap. I met a guy in Bangkok who had this new spare Chromebook. He had brought several over from USA to offer to schools here, and this one was surplus to his requirements (his story which seemed plausible enough). I bought it and brought it back to Pattaya where I started to learn it's intricacies. I found no problem using it and was happy, although over a period of about 3 years I had to learn a lot, like having to buy a wifi printer. Fast forward another 13 years and having bought another new Chromebook 5 years ago, I am now in a situation where I'm getting p'd off with things like sketchy connection to my printer, Google Chrome having issues with some websites etc. etc. So I now want, I think!, to buy a new Windows laptop and re-learn how to use it. 

My questions are:- 1) Should I really buy a Windows laptop, or are there better options now? 

2) If the answer to 1) is Yes, what should I look at?  I know that I should buy the most powerful machine that I can afford. My budget will be under 25,000 baht. I will not buy a Samsung product for other bad experience reasons.

3) Any solid advice and recommendations? (Apart from not to be such a fool again!)

Having gone through a steep learning curve, you might appreciate why I am asking for advice here, so I need the kid gloves treatment. Please be gentle!

PS... I should hopefully soon have my Asus 15 inch Chromebook for sale at around the 6,000 baht mark. It's in excellent working order and looks like new! I also have my previous original Acer 15 inch chromebook to sell at about 4,000 baht, which is in excellent condition too. I only replaced it in order to avail myself of any Chrome updates which expire after about 5 years.

Regards, thoengthaied.

Rather than repeating a load stuff that's already been said, (including by myself) I'd suggest you visit this thread which has 4 pages of advise. I'm sure you'll find it useful.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to use the laptop screen, then take note of the screen quality of your intended purchase. 

Personally I buy cheap business quality laptops as I don’t have a need for the latest bells and whistles. 4K can get what I need. Latitude 7480 good enough for my requirements. 
If you have specific requirements, e.g. video or photo editing then tailor your requirements. It’s not just about Windows. That just provides wide compatibility. You still need to consider the hardware. ‘Powerful’ is just one element. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, NextG said:

If you are going to use the laptop screen, then take note of the screen quality of your intended purchase. 

Personally I buy cheap business quality laptops as I don’t have a need for the latest bells and whistles. 4K can get what I need. Latitude 7480 good enough for my requirements. 
If you have specific requirements, e.g. video or photo editing then tailor your requirements. It’s not just about Windows. That just provides wide compatibility. You still need to consider the hardware. ‘Powerful’ is just one element. 

No. I don't do video or photo editing.  I now feel a 8GB, Intel i5 12 Gen, with a ~ 512GB SSD should be fine.

Just wanna decide on a brand. I've been with COMPAQ and HP close upon 3 decades...

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Rather than repeating a load stuff that's already been said, (including by myself) I'd suggest you visit this thread which has 4 pages of advise. I'm sure you'll find it useful.

Thank you, Moonlover. Excellent for me, rather than all the puerile nonsense others have offered! Jeez, there are some plonkers on this forum. And you all know who you are. Your mummies are waiting to tuck you into your cots.

2 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

Thank you, Moonlover. Excellent for me, rather than all the puerile nonsense others have offered! Jeez, there are some plonkers on this forum. And you all know who you are. Your mummies are waiting to tuck you into your cots.

Yes, it didn't take long for your thread to deteriorate into a urinating contest did it!

You are not buying a "Windows Laptop." You are buying a modern computer that is capable of running numerous operating systems including Microsoft Windows, Linux, and a whole bunch of other OS's.

Honestly, Microsoft Windows 10 and 11 are resource hogs.  A comparable system running a form of Linux will utilize the hardware much more efficiently.

You can purchase an efficient system with a Intel i7 processor, SSD drive, and 8 GB of RAM for under 15K THB.

If you have to have Windows, then you better plan to buy a Win11 license and then go ahead and purchase a computer that can handle the excessive overhead which means that, yeah - you should go with the 25K higher end system.

If you want to go with Linux, but you still need Windows, then buy something in-between and run Window in Dual-boot mode ever better, within a Virtual Machine.  I do the latter.

If you want a tablet or oversized smart-phone - I'm not the person to recommend anything.  I use and Acer Laptop, an Intel custom-made desktop (15K) - both running Linux with Win10 in VMs, and a Samsung smartphone (which I find 100% better than the Oppo I used to have). 

Each to their own.  Best of luck.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

I have no time for this thread now. I was expecting some sensible answers to my questions but I should have known better.

93 posts since 2020?  What did you expect?  It's not like you spend a lot of time on this forum.
Honestly, are you using this account to troll or do you really wish to answers to your questions?  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

A desktop, the new mini desktops are smaller than a laptop! Fit to the back of any screen. Cheaper alternative if you don't need a laptop. I just bought one for 5000THB and it runs as fast as my 50,000THB laptop!

May I ask, what did you buy, and where?

I would rather have a desktop than a laptop any day. I have no need to do remote PC work and what little I do, my phone is enough.

My current desktop could use an upgrade as it is going on nearly 10 years old. But, I don't do anything with it except personal finances/documentation and surfing the Internet. I do have a good quality video card installed as I connect the PC (via HDMI) to my 55" TV to stream shows/movies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

What else is there?

You seem to be set on throwing the baby out with the bath water in latest post but unless you need for frequent travel laptops are often not cost effective or needed.  And if required highest cost units are most often not required by most computer users.

These days a tiny computer that can attach to the back of 32 inch monitor (or TV) for less that 15k (including monitor) is a viable option for many and would be more powerful than most laptops.  Below is just one example.

image.jpeg.975665e8bfc3ca022f583280567fa6b4.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

I have no time for this thread now. I was expecting some sensible answers to my questions but I should have known better.

Different devices for different needs. Basic stuff can be done with phone, tablet or chromebook. More advanced its laptop vs desktop.

Go to tech centre have a play with machines.

12 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I am sorry that you have been highjacked by the usual so called experts on this and similar forums, who all feel that only their solution is valid.  I have given up giving any advice on these matters as a result!

The perpetrators know who I am referring to and will probably respond with their usual unchallengeable, but inaccurate responses!

But overall,  the majority of members chip in positively for any type of query. These personal experiences are very valuable IMHO. So please,  just ignore the 'pseudo experts' and make your contribution. 

3 hours ago, ravip said:

But overall,  the majority of members chip in positively for any type of query. These personal experiences are very valuable IMHO. So please,  just ignore the 'pseudo experts' and make your contribution. 

That was his contribution ☺️
Hijacking the thread to complain about other posters. There won’t be anything forthcoming that is on-topic. 

• Haha 1