Video Editing On The Computer

Jonny B

Hi, i have downloaded the Motion DV Studio software that came with my video camera but am struggling to figure out how to use it. Does anybody know how to navigate this stuff and how to edit video? would love some tuition if anybody has time and willing to help.

thanks alot

Get a decent application. i'd recommend Adobe Premiere (free trial from the Adobe site available).

I've had results with Windows movie maker too. One app i did like aimed at complete novices is called Muvee - just dump the video, add a backing track and it automatically edits the clip. Pretty swish.

I personally use iMovie now, but have Avid lying around. No time though...

I have alot of apps for movie making and I always end up using the Movie maker in windows xp. The others can be powerful but who can find the forest for the trees. Movie maker is just easy to use. The outputs are limited like wmv format, but I fixed that by using media join program. It won't convert to Mpeg by its self, but if you combine 2 wmv files it will output in your choice like mpeg. so I have a .5 sec blank wmv I call stub which I fake the combining with and pick the output I want Madia join is free just google it. I use the capture with my cam to put files in folders then call them into movie maker, and movie maker makes great slide shows out of pictures.

There are very few video editing programs that are actually easy to use. The more professional ones like Premiere are the hardest, but also the most versatile. The Mac's iMovie is one of the few easier to use ones, but the Movie Maker in windows is fine, too (although not as refined). If you want to learn about the more complicated programs, get a tutorial video or something similar. It will take some time.

the main thing that i want to do is with say with 10 minutes of video, delete certain parts that i dont want, so it becomes say 5 minutes of video instead. is this easy to do, just cant seem to figure out the time line thing?

If that's all you want to do, then that's easy even with premiere. You just use the cut tool and put a cut at the start and end of any scene you don't want, then choose that area and press shift-delete. Repeat for any other sections. Then export the movie to the format you like. The process is similar for many video editing programs.

There are many video-type training programs available. A fairly comprehensive one is from lynda.com.