Recent experiences with Isaan sparkies

So the uk based ladies farmhouse electrics were dire.    Eventually a local sparky whos name came from a local builders and the local PEA arrived on scene.   

After a long chat with one of the ladies sisters who speaks reasonable english I went to the airport  feel moderately confident.     

The following week the sparkies arrived.    Three consumer units were used.   Plenty of white plastic conduit.    At least I can see where the cables are.   

So issues for the next visit and err minor modifications and "snagging".

One issue that concerns me is the lack of  mains isolators on the incoming service cables.    I left a wylex(siemens) isolator to be fitted for safe working.     Instead of which they   managed to cut the service leads back tight to the exterior wall and install some sort of junction box to the incoming lines to feed the various consumer units  .  One for the house and two others for for outside   albeit covered areas. 

As for the  rest well I made it clear that I wanted individual RCBOs .    Instead of which they  fitted some sort of RCD/RCBO (might be double pole)  and mcb s.     

They seem to have fitted Schneider CUs   .   Problem is they appear to have used a QO type of square d fitting which is as I understand is obsolete in most parts of the world .  It use uses a plug in system rather than a din rail fitting  They have  fitted type AC breakers which are not supplied in the UK and as I understand it, now  illegal in AUS/NZ and other places.   

Even more bizarre is that  here in the uk I can buy  more modern Schneider type a/b rcbo s  that mount on a din rail type fitting .      The schneider RCBOS available here in the uk  have "Made in Thailand " stamped on the side.     It appears that I will be purchasing thai made breakers and shipping them back to the country of origin.  5555555    see photos for some indication of fittings.      They used a large metal cabinet for  a earth cable junction ????  

I did take a type S time delayed RCD out there with hope of getting it fitted to the incoming supply. I gave up trying to explain the rationale for fitting it.      

My thanks to a member who messaged me after a previous post and gave me loads of help. Hopefully I will be a

ble to buy him a few beers.     

Thai fuse board.jpg

Thai earth box 2.jpg

Thai earth box 3.jpg

Edited by surreybloke
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...