Best Number to Call USA Social Security Admin

I see there are 2 numbers you can call to SSA.

1-800-772-1213 which seems to be the all-in-one number to call for everything open 8am-7pm

1-410-965-0160 that is listed for people living overseas and directly to International Operations open 9am-4pm

Can anyone tell me which one is better or which one you had good experiences with? Thank you

46 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I believe US citizens in Thailand need to contact the Social Security office out of Manila Philippines. 

Not necessarily, I sent a form to Manila and they in turn sent it the US and told me I have to contact the office in the US for further enquires. Basically, Manila is just an intermediary and they handle very few things themselves alone. 

3 hours ago, racyrick said:

1-410-965-0160 that is listed for people living overseas and directly to International Operations open 9am-4pm

Can anyone tell me which one is better or which one you had good experiences with? Thank you

49 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The overseas number was much better when I used it. 

When I tried to call the 410-965-0160 number it was a nigh impossible to get through to a person.  SSA did not bother to add the wait-on-hold option to that number, so the only way to get through was:

• dial...
  • go through the menu...
  • receive the message that all operators are busy....please call back later
  • hang up and repeat until you give up

After about 20 sessions I finally reached a person who couldn't actually help with my problem.  This result was from mid 2022.

On the usual 1-800-772-1213 number, I get to wait on hold for typically an hour.  A very helpful sounding person will eventually answer and attempt to do "something" to solve the problem.

So far the "something" has not produced any movement towards a solution.  For one of my issues it's been over 3 years with absolutely no indication that SSA has heard/read any of my pleas/letters.

@Yellowtail Did you call the Overseas number pre-COVID?

Edited by gamb00ler

I

see there are 2 numbers you can call to SSA.

1-800-772-1213 which seems to be the all-in-one number to call for everything open 8am-7pm

If you can reach a human at the -0160 number (i.e., Int'l Op) you stand a higher chance of them being able to work/answer your question since you have a non-US address.   If you don't get a human when calling don't waste you time on leaving a voice mail....hang-up and dial again (and again as necessary) until you hopefully get a human. 

But the -1213 (Central Customer Service) is more of a catchall, general help, relay your issue to the proper section within the SSA to work an issue type number.  

And depending on the nature of your problem, don't rule out contacting/beating on the door of the Manila SSA office for help.  Yes, they are generally just a middleman who have to relay many pension/claim issues to Baltimore Int'l Ops for final processing/approval, but at least the problem is officially transmitted from Manila to Baltimore within their SSS IT system.

• Thumbs Up 1

I called the 410 number at 9am and they said they were closed and will open at 9am.

I tried again at 9:05, 9:10, 9:15 and the same thing.

Finally, at 9:20 they opened and said all lines were busy to call back later.

I then called the 800 number and had a 45 minute wait to speak to an agent.

At first, agent said they didn't receive any form and nothing showed. After about a 30 second silence and I told her the form was received by Manila and they sent it out to the US office on June 6th, she said she did see the form and it was being processed and would take 30 to 60 days.

The ONLY way I will be notified of the decision will be the mail. Tried for email or phone, but no way, only mail from the US even though I told her how long it takes and how many times mail goes as lost. Deaf ears of course.

29 minutes ago, racyrick said:

I called the 410 number at 9am and they said they were closed and will open at 9am.

I tried again at 9:05, 9:10, 9:15 and the same thing.

Finally, at 9:20 they opened and said all lines were busy to call back later.

I then called the 800 number and had a 45 minute wait to speak to an agent.

At first, agent said they didn't receive any form and nothing showed. After about a 30 second silence and I told her the form was received by Manila and they sent it out to the US office on June 6th, she said she did see the form and it was being processed and would take 30 to 60 days.

The ONLY way I will be notified of the decision will be the mail. Tried for email or phone, but no way, only mail from the US even though I told her how long it takes and how many times mail goes as lost. Deaf ears of course.

They need more money.