Travel to Laos with a car registered in Thailand

Hi! Not sure this is the correct forum for my question. I'm considering crossing from Nong Khai to Vientiane in a few months, my wife (Thai) driving her car (registered in Thailand). Is that possible? Are there any formalities when crossing the border - and back?

While I'm at it, I have another question. My wife may have her passport kept in a foreign embassy, with an ongoing visa application, at the time of our planned little trip to Vientiane. Will she be allowed to travel to Laos with her Thailand national card (bat prachachon)?

Thanks for answers!

You can go with a Thai car, there's a simple form she can fill, which I believe covers for limited insurance. 

It's inexpensive and is explained in a YT video, BUT your wife will have to search for it as it's a Thai blogger. 

Remember they drive on the Right, as an ex French posession. 

Your wife is also the best placed to google her border passport options on Thai travel blogs about Laos. 

Its been  6 years but I do recall my wife going to the Thai transportation 

authority to get a T sticker that has to be displayed on the back window.

After all of that she said she didn’t want to visit Lao ,so We never went 555

• Haha 1

if the car's under finance you'll need a permission from the finance company to take it abroad (not likely)

otherwise the owner just take the relevant document to make that car's permit (essentially a passport for the car)

thai citizens can apply for border pass without passport, but they'll be limited on where and how long can they visit

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

You can go with a Thai car, there's a simple form she can fill, which I believe covers for limited insurance. 

It's inexpensive and is explained in a YT video, BUT your wife will have to search for it as it's a Thai blogger. 

Remember they drive on the Right, as an ex French posession. 

Your wife is also the best placed to google her border passport options on Thai travel blogs about Laos. 

Thanks, that's useful. I knew the French used to be possessed 555!

12 minutes ago, digbeth said:

if the car's under finance you'll need a permission from the finance company to take it abroad (not likely)

otherwise the owner just take the relevant document to make that car's permit (essentially a passport for the car)

thai citizens can apply for border pass without passport, but they'll be limited on where and how long can they visit

Thanks, that's also useful. I guess to go spend a week-end in Vientiane and then back to Thailand will be easy for my wife then. Myself, that will give me a new 30-days "breath of life" in Thailand when re-entering!