Chatuchak opportunities

Chetzee

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

She rents the stall from JJ for 1800 baht per month, she doesn't own a square centimeter. So the point is that they usually would sell their spot for ''key money'' or ''goodwill money''. You never really own it, just as long JJ keeps renting them out only.

No you can't run a stall yourself of course, you are a foreigner. Anything a Thai can do, they need to do. You can only be the owner, or be for example the manager in a bar, you can't actually make drinks or sell t-shirts yourself. 

You could be supervising, checking up, delivering stock, and do that kind of stuff, if you also have a company and work permit. Otherwise you would basically need to just be (silent) owner.

thanks ......  but many years ago ... JJ operators  ( the railway ? ) sold  long term leases on areas in the market that wanted to develop .....    just sayin" !     So those guys selling that I see every week are in quere street if immigration turn up ?    they've been there for years .... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

thanks ......  but many years ago ... JJ operators  ( the railway ? ) sold  long term leases on areas in the market that wanted to develop .....    just sayin" !     So those guys selling that I see every week are in quere street if immigration turn up ?    they've been there for years .... 

I don't know what kind of guys you talk about, might matter where they are from or that they simply pay someone. Or they have been simply lucky so far, sounds unlikely to me, with all the jealous thais around it too. But caught working illegally = bye bye Thailand fast.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I don't know what kind of guys you talk about, might matter where they are from or that they simply pay someone. Or they have been simply lucky so far, sounds unlikely to me, with all the jealous thais around it too. But caught working illegally = bye bye Thailand fast.

yes those were my thoughts ,..... that's why I asked them .... European .... .... there every week .......   I think ill find a manager  555! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Paying 1800 a month to sit in the heat, getting ratted out and haggling with cheap foreigners to make 1 sale per day.

If you are interested my wife can hook you up with opening 7/11 franchise. The money is garbage, but at least there will be money and aircon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chetzee said:

you're quite the piece of work arn't you !!   I use this forum to ask advice and learn .....  you it seems use it to try to belittle people you know nothing about  ..... go do one Frits ! 

That is what you get when your answer like this: "yea 1800? month  you rent !!! .... 

But lets go a bit deeper into your business plan for furniture sales.

You want to have a couple of stalls:

1. Will you be your own competition or spread your furniture over these stalls?
  2. Mostly people who have a stall are their own boss so have less cost than you. It is not easy to find and keep good staff here. Where are you going to find them? How will you employ them, will you have a regular business or pay them without any social security and tax?
  3. How will you know they will actively sell things or be asleep / playing with their phones?
  4. What do you arrange for lunchtime, do you have a fan there for them? What will be the electric costs?
  5. I don't know the market itself too many people and too hot for me don't like to walkaround in busy crowds. Can you store your furniture there or do you need to bring it to your stalls every day (which is a major pain)?
  6. Why would people buy from you and not online?
  7. How are people expected to take the furniture with them?
  8. How long do you expect it takes to buy new stock and get it into your stalls?
  9. How do you keep your furniture in good condition if you have it in the market 24/7?
  10. In a market people want to haggle about the price, how do you arrange with your staff what price they can sell and how will you know they won't pocket any money from you?
  11. What will be your customers for furniture? Tourists, local Thai people, expats or .......?
  12. Furniture takes up a lot of space, so you can't have many items in your stall. What do you think will be the turnaround time for your items.
Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

can I suggest you have a little too much time on your hand !  maybe get out a little more ....

Stay away from business, you only loose money.

I wrote that comment in less than 10 minutes as I know how businesses work here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, Celsius said:

Paying 1800 a month to sit in the heat, getting ratted out and haggling with cheap foreigners to make 1 sale per day.

If you are interested my wife can hook you up with opening 7/11 franchise. The money is garbage, but at least there will be money and aircon.

Why would someone wanna open a 7/11 franchise in the first place, you can make much more profit opening your own grocery shop.

21 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Why would someone wanna open a 7/11 franchise in the first place, you can make much more profit opening your own grocery shop.

why indeed ......  one of the worst things that's happened to Thailand in my opinion .... 7/11 

14 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Because in Thailand it is about location, price and who you know and not about how great your business plan is. 

So you open up your grocery store and tomorrow Somchai opens 7/11 next to you. Who is going to win? 

Also with 7/11 you can start with a smaller capital like 1 million baht. They have several price points for franchises. Great for people with not so deep pockets and easy to get a bank loan.  My wife used to work for CP doing exactly this....scouting locations and opening stores before she moved to other things. 

Your only option would be to sell jackfruit or fishballs next to 7 to get any kind of traffic. What grocery store lol

Just quick question reg. non-thai sellers at JJ: At the pet section there are bunch of shops run by some ugly Middle Asian men. For decades! Are they khun thai? I don't think so!

However running small biz at JJ can be quite profitable for some, but there's a lot of "politics" to take care. My friend used to sell singing birds there 

11 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

True, never been there, too busy for me and I don't but at markets to start with. 

Still way more Thai business knowledge than you have.

You have not missed much, last time I bought something there saw it cheaper on a Sukhumvit stall. It's hot, crowded and quite unpleasant and uncomfortable, don't see why it's a tourist spot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Never heard of research?

Still haven't answered the questions, what a joker

Academic too Frits !! ...... you're quite the accomplished soul aren't you , however  your questions are child like ... as I think was already pointed out to you ......  

Edited by Chetzee
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Chetzee said:

however  your questions are child like ... as I think was already pointed out to you ......  

Still too much of a hurdle for you with your 40 years of experience, ROFL.

Don't even know the basics that you can't work at a stall here.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1