Thai citizens entering Laos with/without passport?

The only reason to use ID card and border pass instead of passport might be avoiding stamps in the passport when traveling frequently?

And I guess the majority of Thais doing one day visits to Laos don't have a passport (costs money and effort).

For occasional/single visit she should just use passport.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, KhunBENQ said:

The only reason to use ID card and border pass instead of passport might be avoiding stamps in the passport when traveling frequently?

And I guess the majority of Thais doing one day visits to Laos don't have a passport (costs money and effort).

For occasional/single visit she should just use passport.

Actually, that's not true at all. A 5 year passport costs 1000 Baht and a 10 year one costs 1500. You do it once every 5 or 10 years and even for a one day trip, it's easier and better than using a border pass.

In 2009, i took a group of Thai friends to Laos. We only visited Vientiane and Ang Nam Ngeum.

One of them had a passport with only 4 months validity left, thus had to do a border pass. This cost 120 Baht (not 30) and took nearly half an hour. A real hassle compared to using a passport.

A border pass is useful (and even necessary) at locals only border crossings where passports aren't used.

That's the main reason to use them. Your average Thai who uses the main border crossings will probably use a passport.