US Passport Renewal Via Bangkok Mail

WayneJ

I’m out of pages in my U.S. Passport.  The US Embassy in Thailand claims 5-6 week for a new passport.  I verified this with them.  The US Embassy website says 10-13 weeks.  That’s over 2x!  Who’s right?

Anybody recently renewed their U.S. passport via mail in Bangkok?  How long did it take?  TIA!

US Embassy and Consulate announced 3 months ago or so that the time it took to get a new passport here may take up to 5 weeks (previously it was 3 weeks or less).  In December of 2021, I got a new one here (mail to Bangkok from Chiangmai) and I had the new and old passports back in 11 days.  Quite surprised and happy with that service.

• Thumbs Up 1

I renewed mine by mail from Phuket last year. It took exactly 3 weeks from the day I mailed it until the new one was back in my hands in Phuket .

A relative of mine is a consular officer at a different embassy. He told me that those renewing from overseas have priority over domestic renewals (for obvious reasons). Essentially what happens is the consular officer will review and approve your documents at the embassy. The data is electronically sent to the passport agency in the US so it can be printed. That takes just a few days. Then it goes in the diplomatic pouch and is returned to the embassy. The pouch may only come once a week so that can make the return a bit faster or slower. The key is that you follow the instructions completely. If the embassy finds an error or missing item, you have to be contacted and resubmit, which slows things down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, WayneJ said:

I’m out of pages in my U.S. Passport.  The US Embassy in Thailand claims 5-6 week for a new passport.  I verified this with them.  The US Embassy website says 10-13 weeks.  That’s over 2x!  Who’s right?

Anybody recently renewed their U.S. passport via mail in Bangkok?  How long did it take?  TIA!

I received my new passport back in September 2022 in just three weeks time 

• Thumbs Up 1

I renewed my passport in December 2022 while living in Bangkok.  It took approximately three weeks. But time frames do change.

You should follow the  current times and guidelines for the US Embassy in Bangkok.  Since you are doing it in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

THE EMS service and Embassy work was done with excellent result.  Five weeks from start to finish, this in this month. Make sure you follow exactly the directions which are downloadable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on the other recent threads here, scattered about different sub-forums, it seems like five ~ six weeks should be expected.

You can prepare your passport application package at any time and the process may take up to five to six weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail. If you are renewing your passport card by mail please expect six weeks to receive your replacement card.

In the U.S. recent reports have un-expedited renewals/issuances getting into the 13 - 15 week range.

The U.S. Embassy here no longer issues the "linkage letter". There is a link to a letter which explains this, for Thai Immigration.

As of April 10, 2023, the Embassy/Consulate will no longer issue passport linkage letters with newly issued passports. If a Thai government office requests one, your cancelled passport and your newly issued passport will suffice. You may download this letter (PDF 70KB) in Thai and English that explains the change in Embassy policy.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pronto2 said:

This past May/June --- mailed application package to Bangkok.  Received passport back here in Chiang Mai exactly 3 weeks from the day the application was received in Bangkok.

Additionally, when I received the new passport I noticed that the "date of issue" (as stamped on the passport) was only 4 days after the application package had been received in Bangkok. I figured then, as another poster verified, that the application must surely have been forwarded electronically to the U.S. for processing there and the remainder of the time was all for the time it took to return it to Thailand.  Really, quite excellent service.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back in 2021, I lost my passport and it took the Embassy 2 weeks to get me a new one.  Today, with increase in travel across the world, and especially the USA folks who want to get out finally for a vacation, the application process is delayed.  Hang in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The OP said he was almost out of pages in his passport, but he didn’t say whether his passport was nearing its expiration date or not.

It used to be that you could take your existing, valid passport to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and have pages added to it.

Is that still an option?

I went that route with my last passport, but that was a few years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:38 PM, fusion58 said:

It used to be that you could take your existing, valid passport to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and have pages added to it.

Is that still an option?

Adding pages to a passport has not been an option for several years. When you run out of pages, you must get a new passport. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:38 PM, fusion58 said:

No longer an option unfortunately.  I wasn’t close to the expiration date but not enough room for scheduled entries and my annual Thailand retirement visa.

Update- just received my renewed US passport.  Thanks to all the good advice received here- 4 weeks including mailing.  And a special thanks to American Citizen Services (ACS) at the U.S. Embassy Bangkok.  Job well done!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:56 AM, WayneJ said:

Update- just received my renewed US passport.  Thanks to all the good advice received here- 4 weeks including mailing.  And a special thanks to American Citizen Services (ACS) at the U.S. Embassy Bangkok.  Job well done!

That was nice of you to say that.  I have a friend who works there and he said mostly all they get is hate (usually from the minority of people who screwed things up themselves)...  Nice to see it worked out.

• 1 month later...

It has been over 4 weeks, and I still haven't received it. The US passport status website shows that it has been 'Mailed,' but the Thaipost tracking status indicates 'data not found.'

Did you receive any confirmation email from Embassy or Thaipostmart/Thailand post before it was delivered?

On 8/12/2023 at 8:56 AM, WayneJ said:

It has been over 4 weeks, and I still haven't received it. The US passport status website shows that it has been 'Mailed,' but the Thaipost tracking status indicates 'data not found.'

Did you receive any confirmation email from Embassy or Thaipostmart/Thailand post before it was delivered?

10 minutes ago, bluevalley said:

They won't send any confirmation until it's about to be mailed out to you. They'll send you an email with a tracking number. That email came to me at 5 weeks to the day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EveryG said:

They won't send any confirmation until it's about to be mailed out to you. They'll send you an email with a tracking number. That email came to me at 5 weeks to the day. 

Thanks for your response. The Application Status on the website passportstatusstategov has changed from "In Process" to "Mailed." It further states below "The U.S. Department of State has mailed your passport book......We sent your passport book to you using Prepaid Delivery..."

I assumed that the package was already with the Thai post office and on its way to me. I noted the tracking number when I initially purchased the Courier Pass Back for 100 baht via ThailandPostMart website.